August PUP - Update 66692 Aug 29

2 out of 3 civs have faster EA.

The problem is those 3 OP archer civs will be just as OP as it is now. While low tier archer civs like Italians and Vietnamese, and infantry civs that use archer line as their main unit like Malay and pseudo archer civs like Saracens and even Incas, Byzantines will suffer more. I give big thumbs up to devs for nerfing archer power spike regardless.

Dude, its not a running race. You can’t catch crossbows and thin down their numbers like some of the other ranged units like CA, Conqs, wagons, plumes or rattans. The speed difference is too low to catchup or force a fight. That’s why I said the argument that EA will shred foot archers is flawed and won’t happen in reality. Its only a scenario test situation.

Again, if the OP cav civs are balanced out, that will no longer be the case.

1 Like

Yeah in the long run EA speed hurts a lot. They are okay as a defensive unit in early castle age xbow push.

I disagree.

There are so many cav civs or semi cav civs in the game now. You won’t nerf most of them. But you won’t buff semi archer civs either. For example Teutons vs Japanese. Even before the archer nerf, this is very close match up (in Arabia) imo. Neither needs any direct change and now Japanese will have a visible disadvantage. I hope spearman upgrades become cheaper in the future.

People pulling out their favorite streamer’s clickbait title for the new YT video as an argument and proof for their “X is extremely OP” post is the AoE forums version of reputable news agencies using fact checked science papers to form mass opinions when in reality, the “peer reviewed” means one of the colleagues in the lab anonymously approved the zero experiment theoretical publication, based on hypothesis and assumption.

2 Likes

Do you know what’s a great alternative to such xbow push – elite skirmishers. cost less than half the resources and a lot more effective.

The ones that are mid-tier like Bulgarians or Slavs are not going to be a threat to the overall game balance. They’ve just remained largely unused and with the xbow nerf they might be more feasible against the mid-tier archer civs like Italians.

By cav or semi-cav civs if you mean Burmese, Slavs, Malians, Cumans then yes its illogical to nerf them as they’re quite weak right now and are probably civs you wish your opponent had in most cases. So this very tiny nerf would make them slightly more usable. The xbow nerf is not a nerf to its cost or stats. All this does is make civs with good feudal play slightly better because using market to hit castle age and get xbow right away would hurt the eco a bit more. So if someonedid 4 archers and 2 spears in feudal and sold stone to hit castle age at 18th min, they won’t be able to afford xbow upgrade, bodkin and eco upgrades right away. And that’s perfectly fine.

That could be a good change as well.

1 Like

Totally Agree.
I also made that proposal once that they should spawn from Castles and Donjons instead.
Idk it 4 for each donjon also future ones is so good, I would prefer if it was a set maximum number of serjeants. Otherwise the donjon rush could very easily become super annoying to deal with, potentially basically impossible.

2 Likes

Another option, instrad of spawning, would be that the tech reduces the training time or the price of sergeants

2 Likes

Another option would be spawning but limited to 10 or 15 donjons (for a total of 40 to 60 serjeants).

Sad elephant noises.

They will. Once you exclude Chinese, Britons, Mayans, maybe even Ethiopians, you’ll see an average Cav civ like Teutons is more preferable over an average (practical) archer civ like Vietnamese most of the time. (I’m not talking about Teutons vs Vietnamese match up. I’m saying if you’re random 1v1 Arabia, you will more likely to have more win rate with Teutons than Vietnamese. And that’s true for all average cav vs archer civ.)
https://agestats.net/index.php

Does anyone know when the August event will start?

probably end of th emonth

1 Like

From where can I see the PUP changes?

And my Malians still need their gold bonus back :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

steam pup link Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition General Discussions :: Steam Community but they dont mention change so u gotta update it and find out yourself.

there are already a couple YT vids about the changes so might as well look at those

There is also a Reddit post from earlier in this thread

1 Like

The PUP has been updated

The only change I spotted so far is that Gurjaras generate less food from livestock inside mills :

~6 food per minute for 1 sheep
~26-27 food / minute for 8 sheeps

And the amount of food you get from 8 sheeps in a single mill is the same as 8 sheeps garrisoned inside different mills

20 Likes

yeah, that’s for the better. thanks

1 Like

The changes to gurjaras mill are interesting to follow for sure 11

So that’s more than a 50% increase then.

A very slight nerf from previously 28 food per min.

In the end I guess the total amount won’t change much. It usually takes about a min to find all your sheep so it should equal out at some point. However if you get lamed that’s actually a buff for gurjaras.

Maybe more import: If the factor by which the amount of food decreases with increasing amount of sheep that’s a significant nerf to maps like (land) nomad or megarandom where oftentimes you can get 10-20 sheep. Same for team games.

they killed my mult-mill buildorders :frowning:

4 Likes

Good. Wish there were more.

1 Like