Aztec needs midgame/lategame options

I’ve been happy to see Aztec getting touched with last Patch.

It’s a very nice first step into making them better, with indeed more diversity, without making them “broken” since they (apparently) have a very high winrate.

I still think Aztecs lack strategies, and for being a OTP with them, everytime I play against them, they’re so easy to read, and by just turtling/scouting, I win almost every single time against them.

This is why I will bring a few point from the last patch :

• It’s 1k5 gold for a lategame card, for a melee unit that get hard busted against Canons/Skirms, which is extremely powerful and efficient against Aztecs. So I think this should be completely reworked. HP would be better for example, or increasing their stealth speed would be another good way.

• Give this Inca’s card to the Aztecs, but give Maya/Zapotec and one another instead. This would help so much their gameplan (Would I team up with Zapotec to get higher attack ? Would I team up with Maya for HP and Tankiness ?) .
    Historically, don’t forget the apogee of the Aztecs were the Triple Alliance, the Mexicas. This totally makes sense, even if the native chosen is not very historically accurate.

• The associated card that enable Native Scout for the Aztecs needs to be especially set for the Eagle Scout. But of course, with the power seen with Native Scout with other civs, it’s important to keep in touch if it’s balanced or not. This could bring one more viable strategy to the Aztecs, making them way less obvious to fight against.

• The issue I have with this card, outside of Treaty Game, is that you wait for the card to arrive, and it gives you nothing right away. It does save you 60% gold for all incoming Temple cards you will research, but in Age3 you are under pressure, booming, micro-ing and macro-ing by a lot. You can’t afford losing momentum by sending this card. If it would give something on research, in exchange of an initial cost, maybe it would be seen more.

Now that said, please devs and game designers, consider another building for the Aztecs, the one in my original comment, the Temple.

Aztecs were very religious, and I’m pretty sure we can have something very amazing and fun made out of it ! :smiley:

2 Likes