Aztec Split Discussion

If they do it for Europe, they should do it for America. While we all like the way they have modified the civs, I feel like not enough has been done to properly represent the Aztecs. It’s time we turn our attention to one area that deserves much greater attention: Mexicas, Tepanecs, and Acolhuas.

The Aztec Empire was not a monolithic entity but an alliance of three different cities, each with its own distinct political structures, weaponry, and farming techniques. Yet, in the game, these nuances are completely overlooked, resulting in a homogenized portrayal that fails to capture the diversity and intricacies of the Aztecs. Aztec doesn’t even mean anything, they’re the Mexica!

To truly do justice to the Mexica Empire and its allies, it’s essential that Age of Empires accurately represents these differences. Since the devs #### ### ####### the only proper way is to split the Aztec civilization into Mexica, Tepanecas and Acolhuas. the game will be truer to Aztec society and its complexities.

Additionally, farming techniques differed across the Mexica Empire, with some regions specializing in intensive agriculture while others relied on terracing or chinampas (artificial islands). By accurately representing these agricultural practices, we should can highlight the ingenuity and resourcefulness of Mexica farmers and provide the game with a more realistic prtrayal of Mexica society.

For one, all 3 civilizations now have three buildings, the Calmecac and the Telpochcalli, replacing the Nobles’ Hut and the War Hut. The Telpochcalli trains Tequihua (Archers), Yaoquizqueh (Peasants, armed with maces) and Telpochyahqueh (Teachers who have captured people before), and Papalotl (Club-armed warriors who have taken no more than 3 captives).

The Calmecac has Jaguar Warriors, Eagle Warriors, Cuextecatl (the new Arrow Knights, they are the same but do not have bows anymore, they throw their arrows because this is what they did), and Cauchicqueh (The best unit)

Mexica

Leader: Cuauhtemoc

Home City: Tenochtitlan

These guys are the Mexica, despite saying “Aztec”, which is wrong and never existed. The “Aztecs” did not call themselves “Aztecs” but “Mexica”, or whatever other ethnicity they were. All other Aztec cities were part and parcel and subservient to the triple alliance completely, with Tenochtitlan at the head but not in absolute control. The “Emperor” of the “Aztecs” was just the Tlatoani, basically a Mayor, of only one large city. As important as that city was, it was not the heart of the Empire, just its most important city. Putting Cuauhtemoc as the leader is simply the right thing to do, as he is already in the game.

Features:

Trains Puma Spearmen (Tlacateccatl Spearmen now), who have a fear effect. Tlacateccatl are the generals of the Aztecs, hence the effect.

The Skull Knight is now a second hero unit called a Tlacochcalcatl who boosts units around him.

Mexica can Sacrifice your own soldiers at the Community Plaza, which is renamed the Huey Teocalli. You can get benefits there equal to the number of soldiers sacrificed.

I want the Tenochca to be very strong in combat with references to sacrifice and auras of Aztec leadership.

Unique Building: Chinampa (Not a technical building, but a structure that raises the terrain underneath it on water maps, built by boats)

Tepanecs

Leader: Tetlepanquetzal

Home City: Tlacopan

The city of Tlacopan I think has the most interesting history of all of the Cities of the Mexica Empire, because they are Tepanecs, not Mexica, and used to have an Empire. It was very important, and there was a bridge built connecting Tenochtitlan to Tlacopan because of that. It was also a prosperous area known for its chocolate and eggs. They were also welcomed to this area by the Chichimecs, so I have given them the Otomi units. Their leader is Tetlepanquetzal. He reigned for twenty years and was then tortured, and he was an ally to Cuauhtemoc.

Features: Instead of regular Calmecac units they have Otontin Slingers, Otontin Archers, Otontin Spearmen, and Otontin Axemen. All of these units are better than the regular units, but cost Coin because they are mercenaries.

Their emergency warriors use a sling.

Whenever the Tepanecs find a treasure it grows a Chocolate tree that generates food for every shipment sent.

Unique Building: Bridge (A place to send shipments to other players)

Acolhuas

Leader: Ixtlilxochitl II

Home City: Texcoco

The Acolhuas converted to Christianity first and this is very important. I think you can not have the Triple Alliance properly represented without its third member, who converted to Christianity. They focus on that and religion and also knowledge because they were loyal to the Spanish. This is why the leader is Ixtlilxochitl II, who attacked the other Aztec states before and left the alliance despite being part of the alliance.

Features: They have Nezahualcoyotl, who ruled during 1470s, as their unique explorer. He was a great leader but does not fit the theme so he is their explorer.

They research techs 75% faster and their buildings are 50% stronger thanks to strong European influence and sudden technological changes that happened to their nation.

They receive Conquistadors with every shipment, referencing their Spanish friendship.

Unique Building: the Texcoco Church. Holds unique techs, including one that turns Nezahualcoyotl into a Priest

By better representing the various subgroups of the triple alliance, the “Aztecs” become more real and lifelike, improving immersion. I would also like to suggest unique architecture and unit skins for each civ, so we can be as accurate as possible to each of the Subdivisions of the Triple Alliance.

17 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s coming all together. Nobody expects the Inca split into Ta, Wan, Tin and Suyu

8 Likes

Excelent work, but i suggest to include a different age up system aswell, maybe smth like the asian wonders. That way developers could represent the importance of aztec architecture. For example the templo mayor for the mexita. It could spawn warrior priests and enhance the effect of sacrificing people. In imperial age you could instead use the mexican cathedral and modernize the civ (gunpowder units for example)

6 Likes

I want a Dutch or Portuguese split next

3 Likes

Phanar and Quechua split when…

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that, I hope you get well soon

5 Likes

Good idea! I would also think that we should add unique armors for each faction, with special bonuses to each! Maybe the Aztecs can ally with the other Aztecs and this will let them train each others’ units, but if the Spanish are in game and you are not Acolhuas you will suffer double damage and your units will all take damage over time.

1 Like

I am very confused right now, are we talking Mexico and the USA?

a couple of weeks late for Aprils fool don’t you think?

2 Likes

America for most people refers to the whole continent (North and South), not the USA

8 Likes

I would definitely buy a DLC that splits the different TWC civs into what they should have been. The Aztecs, Lakota, Iroquois and Incas definitely weren’t represented properly when the DLC came out, decades ago.

3 Likes

I live in a world where americas refers to the 2 continents in the western hemisphere

3 Likes

i am not suggesting you don’t.

i am asking what splits you think exist within europe.

oh, ya know, the 37 threads asking for german splits.

but this thread isn’t about europe at all, its about proper representation of the Mexica!

7 Likes

I don’t think they divide them, at most they put cards to give it greater variability…

Ahh, but nothing but cards seems so limiting, why not go the extra mile like so many desire for other civilizations and divide them to create new and interesting ones? Have you noticed the originality of the original post? Taking such a loved and unique civilization and giving it three new gigantic twists, unlike the AoE series has ever seen!

2 Likes

This is excellent. I always wanted to see human sacrifices in an age of empires game. This should replace the existing plans for DLC and be implemented asap.

7 Likes

it removes the middle man of having to send them out to battle to die

3 Likes

This is Grade A satire. I chuckled a few times, particularly at the chocolate tree.

9 Likes

Rn is kinda represented by their WC bonus of 2x XP aura. And after latest patches, by promoting JPKs.

In Empires Apart captives were needed for techs but here it would be too hard due to treaty games and turtle meta

I would highkey love to see Mesoamerica split into its own entity. I’ve been asking for that for a long while now - America, as far as I’m aware, can be split into 3 pieces for the purposes of this game - South America, Mesoamerica, and Tortuamerica (a term I made myself specifically to describe cultures north of the Rio Grande, as they don’t mesh well with those south of it).

Be cool to see this actually done.

2 Likes