Balancing African civs

What does switch between bombards mean?

The attack is higher because it doesn’t have multipliers, the mortar does 500 damage whilst the heavy cannon is 200 but with x3 vs infantry, so that’s 600 damage (more than the mortar).
Mortar also only does half damage to cavalry while the heavy does full damage.
Heavy has a 0.75x vs artillery, the mortar has 0.1x.
The mortar may have the fastest speed for attack mode, but also the slowest compared to limber mode.

1 Like

Right, I’ve been playing Ethiopia a lot, its my main civ, now all I hear is they are overpowered and such etc… now let me state why these units are not overpowered, these units are basic and are around all other units in stats and such.

First the mortar, it has a good attack but cant 1 shot anything, I’ve hit skirms which haven’t received any upgrade and it hasn’t killed a single one, it takes about 3 shots, they are awful vs’ing artillery as the deductions they have towards them, it is really slow, can be killed rather easily with melee units and if your not using this unit as a push in age 3 then its pointless, they also have a whopping 8 second reload which is appalling , all in all this mortar becomes useless and is way to expensive.

these next ones ill make shorter.

the Gascenya, they have worse health and attack than most heavy infantry, the only good thing they have is increased attack at closer ranges, which is a big problem if someone even has 5 skirms as it means having to walk close to other units to even get any advantage over them, apart from that they are beaten in health and damage by most units, even at age V.

The javelin riders have less attack than goons, they have roughly 23x4 against horses and thats with home city cards being sent, goons have roughly 46-54 damage x3 against horses so goons with with a very stead lead, they also have faster movement speed than them and also are cheaper, the riders may be able to hit skirms but the skirms still destroy them with an even unit battle, the only thing they have is health an even that isn’t high enough to change a battle with their lackluster attack.

the Ethiopian skirms are just not even worth talking about, they need a buff.

the 1200hp cav that can be sent in age 3 is not a good card, they have low attack, they have good resist and high hp, the thing is they can be killed easily with 10 goons kiting them without any problem, bare in mind this card can only ever be sent once whereas spahi has got a card that can be sent unlimited times, I also went against USA which has horses that we’re coming at 1440 health and they was spammed, but yet no nerf has been applied.

then we get onto the cattle, now people who don’t play the African civs enough don’t know how ridiculous it is to sell 2 cattle and then wait about 4 minutes to be able to send another set of resources again, thing is these cows cost 100 gold to obtain 1 of them, then you also need to wait multiple minutes for it to be able to fatten, now yes it comes to a point where you will have 20 cattle but if you’ve got 20 cattle then that will be late game because no one is spending 2000 gold on cows straight up because that’s 2k gold that could be used elsewhere, now late game that is viable, these cows need a buff not a nerf, the amount of time for it to build up the resources is long.

the Oromo warrior for the Ethiopians is not good, they are a 3pop unit with cost 150 gold and 150 food, they have 100 attack and also have debuffs against certain units, also skirms can kill these without a problem, they have 800 health buffed with cards and final upgrades but they are much to expensive and cost to much population, you would need a 50 vill economy to be able to get 50 of these which would die against a good mass of skirms or goons.

The Ethiopians economy is awful, it is one of the worst eco’s I’ve ever came across, its unbelievably slow and also the spaces for the farms takes up so much space that if a raid comes then your vills are spread out everywhere if they are around granaries for the extra food buff (which is needed) then most of your vills are going to be caught due to them not being around most tc’s because of the farms pushing them outwards or away from them.

also the hand cav from towers are super expensive, they are 70 food and 110 gold and thats with the price reduction, they cant be killed by other units pretty easily, and to make 10 of them you are putting yourself out of 1100 gold and 700 food, it is far to expensive to make these units and also they cost 3 a pop unless you send another card in the reduce them.

all in all anyone who is saying that African civs need a nerf are plain stupid, they have a good rush yes, but if that rush is countered which I have been many of times then they have basically lost the game, bring a few falcs out and their is nothing that can be done.

P.S. I’ve played hausa and they are a good civ yes but if they dont have lifdi knight on the field by age 3 then they are basically out of the game, you make a skirm and anti cav build and they are done, lifdi knights are going to get slaughtered by anti cav and then any of their bows are going to follow shortly after but that’s from matches against them.

simple thing to do before you go against an African civ is to check their deck in the match, very simple, you’ll know what they’re going for by looking and then build their counters, if anyone has any reason why they think they are to overpowered then please write a reply and I will surely come back to ruin your made up theory with actual facts.

1 Like

You do realize dragoons take 2 pop slots and javelins just 1? Pop for pop, javelins are just better in every aspect than dragoons (except speed).

um, ok? but not true?

That we can agree on, Ethiopia late game economy is weak, this is why you need to keep selling cows well into the late game.

The javelin riders might be 1 pop but they’re not half a dragoon and price reflects that otherwise they’d cost 45f 45g and they cost substantially more and also take longer to train than 2 pop dragoons despite them being 1 pop.

1 Like

They can be reliably spammed due to the nature of Affrican economies. Cow trades allow you to simply not gather wood and just concentrate villies on food and gold.

In late game, once you get the Jesuit and the training cards, they are ridiculously spammable.

Well you could say the same for any civ with a factory or equivalent, they typically put it on wood to avoid gathering it.

Again most civs have access to the training tech from the church and other training speed cards, all things being equal the javelins still train slower and you’d need double the amount of warhuts to produce the same pop value of units.

1 Like

they are a 1 pop horse but they dont compare to dragoons which are much faster to train, when i play ports i can get a batch of 5 dragoons in about 6 seconds, with the african civs and all the speed upgrades they still take over double the time, and thats for all units.

the skirms even with all upgrades are still not comparing to most skirms, they have high health but they lack in attack and health doesn’t win wars.

and yeah you need to constantly have cows also, people think all we do is sell cows, we also have to make them which costs 100g each and then we need to wait for them to be able to be sold at an actual price worth selling so cows dont make a difference, i can sell 3 cows for wood and 3 cows for gold and then i need to wait for about 7 minutes for it to fill up to sell at max again, and bare in mind i will then have to replace the cows.

and do you think these cows pop out of thin air? if we want to rush and we sell cows then yes we can rush but then we’ve got to replace these cows or have an awful eco, we would need to spend 2k gold to have max cows and then wait for the livestock to be worth something and then sell and then buy more, people think its just selling cows and getting tons of resources when that definitely isn’t the case.

im fairly certain the treaty community considers ethiopia to be like, S tier currently, they would be extremely qualified to address your concerns about ethiopia and why they have experienced it to be one of the strongest civs available in the lategame

I play treaty, I have played many treaty with them and i can tell you that late game is awful for them, their eco is terrible even with their upgrade cards, their main units to reply on is wood and influence, if you have no wood then you got no gascenya, if you got no influence then you have no way to send your units which leaves you with skirms and javelin riders, or you can use their melee unit which is way to underpowered, max stats have about 36 attack.

I can tell you that late game they will have strong units but most civs have stronger and also others economies are alot better than the african civs so if you keep pushing them then they cant do anything, they will burn out and eventually quit whereas if i play the ports i can constantly push and push and push and spam my units without any worry to my eco.

i am someone who plays this game for roughly 10-16 hours a day so I know what I’m talking about when it comes to a civ I main, I havent used any other civ since release and its not because they are overpowered, its because they have different strategies to be used.

usually if someone picks a civ then you know what they are going to be pushing you with, you can tell with prior knowledge what your build is going to be to defend them but whereas the african civs are unpredictable which makes it hard for someone to defend from.

1 Like

You also don’t need to spend influence on veterancy upgrades for natives or artillery.

They counter skirms…they deal do lot of damage which overcomes the skirms low hp and skirms DO NOT have a bonus vs them and skirms need their bonus damage to well be effective as they are against counter-cav and heavy infantry. They aren’t rifle riders (which roll over everything that is not a skirmisher or dragoon), they aren’t hackapelits (which kill skirms in melee but musks at range and should just flee from pikes and halbs). They play completely differently and most players haven’t got used to them yet.

1 Like

I remember reading that the oromo actually kill skirms quite easily if you switch them to melee, but they lose to equal resources of skirms fighting in ranged.

It’s a very unique unit though, I’d still class it as pretty trash tbh just because it’s so much pop and cost and does not perform to the same level as a cuirassier.

the oromo warrior would take up 150 pop to have 50, the skirms would take 50 pop to have 50, for the price of 1 oromo you could have 2 skirms, the oromo may have a good attack but cant be countered by any anti cav unit, same as most, as i said i main ethiopia and i never touch them units, they are not worth their cost or pop for the damage they put out.

also yes we dont need to because they get shadow teched up, but in the long run they arent going to help out, who goes into late game an says (damn i really wish i had that native ally over there) because i certainly dont, your own units outmatch and outdo any natives, do you think my 27 attack x2 heavy infantry multiplier save me in the game?

the natives become useless, they have a 1 time use, the only card that can be sent multiple times is the sebastapol mortar which has an 8 second reload and can’t 1 shot any unit, the only other card you can send it unlimited unit wise is gascenya, neftenya and javelin riders, which are all units that are able to be trained.

all in all the oromo warrior is to much cost and to much pop, I’d be more than happy if they was 2 pop with half the cost and half the damage, that would be more suitable.

Actually they do better in ranged you’re meant to close the distance or pair them with javs.
when you close the distance then it’s 100 damage every 1 second or so and the skirms can’t retreat even using trees to block pathing like you can vs hussar… You should only put them in melee when against artillery.

I’d argue that cuirassier are overrated when they can be blocked by hussars. Meanwhile oromo is ranged so when numbers increase it sin’t blocked by pathing unlike hussars.

Oromo is a hussar that has range not a lancer that you can throw into battle like cuirassier, mahout or well lancer.
Shtel warrior is a super weak lancer equiv (coyote and chimu are hussar) that can’t do sht.