Batch training not in the game?

I personally love the whole “sim city” feel, actually Stronghold is a more relatable franchise. I even made a build which incorporates precise building placements that allows me to build perfect walls around my town, one for inner another for outer which resembles an actual castle. What is even crazier is how making a trapezoid formation on the ends did increase tower effectiveness, clearing out the blind spots!

As far as I can tell there are 3 civs that have a batch training like mechanic.

Mongols’ unique mechanic lets them train 2 at once including villagers so that good. They also have a landmark that gives free small batch of cavalry once in awhile.

HRE has a landmark that lets them batch train infantry.

English have a landmark that lets them batch train a mix of 5 different units for an extremely cheap price.

I like this.

That’s will crash the game . Everyone will rush stable in first 10 sec and make 5 horseman .

5 horseman can demolish any player he he himself don’t go 5pikes or 5 horseman .

U can indefinitely stop a player from gold and aging up by doing that if he is not lucky enough to get close gold .

May be a late game tech from University that allow batch training , might be good . But batch training early game will crash the game .

I think china also have the mechanic

which makes it worst is that it has not a global quee, so if you have selected 4 buildings and click on one single unit (lets say cavalry) it wont produce 4 units at the same time, only one!! then you neeed to click 4 times to have 4 units in production even when you have 4 buildings selected…

bruh seriously such basic things makes me so so disapointed and cant believe people can handle all those missed improvents from previous games…

shift + unit hotkey or click queues up 5 units
just like in AOE2

I’d personally go the other way around and say that I find it better that way. If I click once, I only want one unit created, whether it is from 1 or 10 production buildings. If I want more I’ll shift click a couple times and fill up the production queue.

3 Likes

HRE, English, and Mongols have a form of batch production.

With the HRE, there is a landmark that lets them produce 5 infantry units at a time.

For the English, there’s the Wyngard Palace that lets you produce an “army” consisting of multiple unit types.

For the Mongols, they have the oovoo that allows most production buildings to produce 2x units.

AoE3 is the only game I know that features this mechanic consistently. And personally I don’t realy like it. If you want more training capacity, build more training facilities. But truly, that’s only just a personal preference. I don’t see how this is considered a step forwards or backwards. It is simply a gamedesign choice but it doesn’t realy change the way the game can be played. If you want to be able to reinforce your army quickly, you’ll just need a lot of training facilities.

5 Likes

The Chinese official can speed up the training process quite significantly, but you are right, it is no match for batch training

1 Like

Not really, not being able to train in batches slows down the pace of the game, this is a “Real-time” strategy game, you should be able to rush your opponent, no batch training prevented this to happen

1 Like

You produce one when you click once in AOE3 as well, it is just that the time it takes to produce 1 is always the same as producing 5 in AOE3, so you are incentivized to always produce 5 to save time

It slows it down for the first 5-10 minutes maybe but after that, there’s plenty of rushing options. And again, producing one unit at a time from a building is standard for pretty much all RTS games not named AOE III.

3 Likes

Starcraft 2 has some restrictions on batch training, but it doesn’t prevent it from having very fast paced games and early rushes (you can literally end a game in 7-8 minutes, by the time an aoe player would click up to age 2).
Batch training is more about convenience than slowing/accelerating the pace of the game, because you can adjust the speed at which units are created anyway.
It also frees up resources that would be used to make more production buildings, but there again this is a matter of balancing how much res is used for creating that specific building. Same thing with building HP vs how many building there are.

I personally prefer having to build multiple production buildings to have a finer control over my production. And I’m fine with the way it works in aoe4, like it did in aoe2 and a ton of other RTS games. Like others said, it’s a matter of personal preference, just a choice of game design, batch training doesn’t do much more than reducing a bit the micro and the production control.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t expect any changes in the game now because of balance and underlying game design, but it was a mistake to exclude batch training in the first place. Not a deal breaker but definitely a step backwards.

Once you got batch you never go backtch

1 Like

are you kidding me? if I select 4 buildings its because I want them to produce the same unit at the same time, its called logic. If I just want one unit then I just make one building or select 1 single building.

That way would be much, much worse.

If we have all barracks grouped up, or use F1, or use the eventual all barracks hotkey we’ll likely get someday, logically, we want to be able to quickly select them and make the number of units we want to make and not more.

With your way if we have 7 barracks we cannot make only 3 units without manually making sure we only select exactly 3 barracks.

3 Likes

It’s shocking that the beta version is basically the release version.

They just do not get it.

No global queue in a triple A title in 2021?

It’s crazy. I used to joke about maybe buying this game next Halloween. Not a joke anymore. MAYBE next Halloween, we’ll see.

1 Like

An 8 minute Feudal Age in this game is very slow. A more refined build order will get there in 4-5 minutes tops and English/French would have units from their landmark rushing the enemy by minute 8.

with that 5-10 minutes I could end an AOE3 game

Have you ever even played AoE3? You CAN fine-tune your training, it’s not one click you train 5 units, and producing one at a time DOES slow down the game! How can you train fast when you only have one military building? And to make more military building wouldn’t you need more resources? Those resources used for more military buildings could potentially go to unit production which can make producing an army faster and speed up the process of the game. The developers deliberately made the game this way to slow down the gameplay.

1 Like