Black screen after intro cinematic

It does look like you have two GPUs. Have you tried disabling the 1080?

I already know the answer to that: it’s a problem of the game with nvidia, not a problem of nvidia with the game.

I’ve removed the xbox bar, I can’t play.
I have disabled nvidia, I can “play” with Intel integrated, 8fps max, ie unplayable.
I have installed lots and lots of nVidia drivers, from 2016 to 2022, I can’t play (uninstalling everything with DDU).

It’s NOT a user problem, it’s a game problem.

I’ve never heard of using two Gpus of different series with different chipsets for SLI, this can only lead to the system going crazy with the drivers, it could explain why OP is having trouble. Just speculating here though.

@CUE999 can you tell us your system specs?

The two GPUs are not in SLI, you indeed cannot use SLI with two GPUs of different generations. The GTX 1080 only has my two secondary displays plugged into it to circumvent a weird Windows 10 bug that has to do with GPU accelerated content on secondary displays of lower refresh rate than the primary display. I have a 144Hz main display, and two 60Hz secondary monitors. If I were to use only one GPU with all 3 displays plugged in it, and would play any GPU accelerated content on a secondary display (discord, YouTube etc on the side, which is 99% of the purpose of those displays) then any game on my main display would be limited to 60fps instead of 144. Having a second GPU do the leg-work displayed on secondary displays allows me to circumvent that problem. If using a CPU with an integrated graphics chipset, then you might plug secondary displays directly into the motherboard IO. My CPU however is the bottleneck in my system, and I would rather not overburden it.

I have been using this setup for more than 2 years and I play quite a lot. I have yet to encounter any issue with the dozens of other games I play. As I said, I played about 1,5k hours like this. The game only has an issue launching since the February update.

Anyways, I have tried removing the 1080, and the game now can launch properly. I still believe the issue is on the side of the game, since it has worked for so long and only broke when it was updated in February. If Windows 11 no longer has the GPU accelerated bug, then I will mark this thread as resolved.

Thanks for the suggestions and the help.

That’s weird, because i have two monitors connected to my GPU (GTX 1060 OC’ed to oblivion lol), one screen is 144hz (main) and the other 60hz(secondary) and i can run the game at 144fps and anything i want on the 2nd monitor. i also use windows 10. I think what happened to you was a conflict with the drivers when the game updated, maybe something was changed in february to help with the performance of the game and it didn’t work with the 2 gpu setup.

If you really want 2 gpus it would be best to use 2 of the same model to avoid these things. i know it worked well for you, but then comes a time when a driver or something comes out and messes everything up.

BTW i had windows 11 and for me it worked just like it does with windows 10. i went back to 10 because MS removed the drag and drop feature and i need it a lot for work. ( i think they added it again to win11 but whatever)

Exactly, disabling a card works, but it is not a valid solution for me. I disable the nVidia and I can “play” with the Intel, but at 8fps it’s absurd. That doesn’t solve the problem, it still exists. Ostrich policy again.

60 days with the blank screen, and no solution yet.

Hello everyone!

Does the game work for you in the new April Pup?

I have tried the new PUP and it is still the same, black screen but you can hear the music. In the log appears something new: “IDXGISwapChain::Present: hresult = 0x887a0005, Device lost reason = 0x887a0006”

Disabling the nVidia works with the Intel, but less fluid, no longer reaches 10 fps.

Thanks for the update CUE. I will inform my team that you still have this issue after the PUP.

That solved nothing for me. You have been tracking the problem for more than 2 months now and I don’t see it being solved.

Hi @Nogalacan and @CUE999 !

We are still investigating this issue.

Could you send to us the files generated in the Enhanced Logging Build?

Once the game is open try to close it with Ctrl+Break or Ctrl+Pause

Could you send to us the log files and mdumps generated? Those could be found here: “C:\Users\USER\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs”

The format is similar to this: “2022.05.16-18.12.33” for the logs and similar to this “AoE2DESteam-58115-2022.01.19-15.05.33.mdmp” for the mdumps

Thanks!

1 Like

Lo he intentado, pero no hace nada. La primera vez se ha quedado colgado el juego, tal vez por hacerlo muy pronto, aunque Alt+Tab ha funcionado y he podido cerrarlo con el botĂłn “Detener” de Steam. He probado otra vez y me ha pasado lo habitual, he llegado hasta donde se supone sale el menĂș, escuchando la mĂșsica de fondo, pero el juego no se cierra con Ctrl+Break. De hecho, tampoco me deja hacer capturas con F12 si activo el overlay de Steam.

Esto es lo que me ha generado ahora, sin fichero dump:

CUE

1 Like