Blizzard Sets Precedent for Price of a Remaster

If you like Blizzard like myself you know that the original Starcraft is being remastered this summer. It is actually the same age as AoE1 and had a huge impact on the genre.

It was just announced that this new remaster will cost $14.99 USD

Of course, they are the first to say that this remaster is essentially a re-skinning and doesn’t change any mechanics, as opposed to the new AoE which promises modernized mechanics and revamped UI. However, speaking from experience, the multiplayer support for battlenet is probably a lot better than what we can expect from the AoE system, whatever it turns out to be.

So what do you think?

Is 14.99 now the most realistic price for AoEDE? Is this far too low? If they go too high, won’t they draw comparisons from remastered SC?

Bear in mind, you and I, dear fellow forum-user, are fanboys. You and I would pay $60 for AoEED.

But let’s be realistic, what should the price point in the US in USD be?

EDIT: I would like to add that Blizzard also made the original Starcraft FREE once they announced the HD remake. That’s how you treat fans of your franchise.

If you don’t already own RoR your options are Ebay or another ‘bay’ that is less than legal. You can’t even buy a digital version anywhere.

$30.00 - $40.00

@DiveDive3726 said:
$30.00 - $40.00

I think anywhere over $20 is very ambitious unless they make a beautiful MP server and interface and include all the fixings of a modern RTS, like replays, post-game charts with things like army value, apm etc. And host tournaments with cash winnings.

@Raw1812 said:

@DiveDive3726 said:
$30.00 - $40.00

I think anywhere over $20 is very ambitious unless they make a beautiful MP server and interface and include all the fixings of a modern RTS, like replays, post-game charts with things like army value, apm etc. And host tournaments with cash winnings.

LOL… ok

@DiveDive3726 said:

@Raw1812 said:

@DiveDive3726 said:
$30.00 - $40.00

LOL… ok

I think you have to get my logic here…SC1 is getting a remaster, it is the same age as AoE and it is a much more beloved and popular game, having sold 11 million copies to AoE1’s a million or so and universally ranking better on the lists of best PC games of all time.

What, in your mind, justifies AoE being 2 to 3 times the price of a similar SC remaster?

Well, I think that up to 20 could be an acceptable price, and seeing the original price of Age of Empires II HD, 20 definitely should be the final price.

But I know I will buy it even if it costs 40, so…

AoE II: HD was 20 USD. I would expect about the same price for AoE: DE.

I asked myself this question yesterday, and I made a range, this is what I got from my ideas
20.00-40,00

since they told us, Def not 60 bucks, then, it wont be more than 60, all they can do then is set it lower than that. in that case, it should be between that range, I guess.

@kylobeetle said:
I asked myself this question yesterday, and I made a range, this is what I got from my ideas
20.00-40,00

That’s realistic. I think making it more than 20 depends on how well supported the game is and what new features are added.

Minimalistic reskin/revamp = around 20 USD
Many new features, new modes, well supported multiplayer with great interface and matchmkaking=Around 30 or more USD.

$15 is good. I can buy original AOE in stores today for $10. Much more would “feel” like the company is taking advantage of loyal customers would pay anything because they are devoted to the cause.

PS: When did we start using “price point” instead of price? Did I miss the memo?

@AmissExponent76 said:

PS: When did we start using “price point” instead of price? Did I miss the memo?

I used to work in sales and ‘price point’ meant a possible price or a price that could be adjusted based on other factors like add-ons or new features.

@Raw1812 said:

@DiveDive3726 said:

@Raw1812 said:

@DiveDive3726 said:
$30.00 - $40.00

LOL… ok

I think you have to get my logic here…SC1 is getting a remaster, it is the same age as AoE and it is a much more beloved and popular game, having sold 11 million copies to AoE1’s a million or so and universally ranking better on the lists of best PC games of all time.

What, in your mind, justifies AoE being 2 to 3 times the price of a similar SC remaster?

I get your logic. My thought is that peeps would feel some nostalgic craze over this new release and be willing to shell out $30 - $40.

@DiveDive3726 said:

@Raw1812 said:

@DiveDive3726 said:

@Raw1812 said:

@DiveDive3726 said:
$30.00 - $40.00

LOL… ok

I get your logic. My thought is that peeps would feel some nostalgic craze over this new release and be willing to shell out $30 - $40.

I think there are two schools of thought:

1. Only fanboys will want this remake. Then, of course, charge a ton, you need to recoup your costs and they won’t bat an eye dropping 40 USD.

2. You want to price this to bring in a new audience, such as RTS players from other franchises as well as AoE2 and 3 players that never played 1. You can’t charge 40 USD in that case. They will immediately point out that new games cost that much and that the other HD remakes (such as, in this case SC and AoE2) were priced 15 and 20 USD.

I personally have nostalgia for the series but I want to see a really sleek MP UI and server and matchmaking etc. before I drop a pretty penny on this game.

I would pay from 20 - 40 Euro, but even 40 is a little high. Depends on how much new content the game contains.

@rhrmn said:
AoE II: HD was 20 USD. I would expect about the same price for AoE: DE.

This.

All good points…they go too high and the only peeps willing to buy will be die hard fans of the original. Yet they need to at least make enough off it to keep the development interest active and the patches coming…

Just wanted to jump in and tell everybody to go to AoE mixer channel to watch the stream.

https://mixer.com/ageofempires

I don’t pay upwards of $25 for any game. AoE:DE is no exception. As a kid, I’d spend $60 on a game at release time, but as an adult who is supporting a family, I’ve learned to wait patiently for sales.

I own already Stracraft 2 and also downloaded SC 1 for free (thanks to blizzard gift). All I can say is that Blizzard games have a good multiplayer platform and support that make worthy spend over 20 USD in every game. But as someone pointed here, AoE is a older game that SC and was more entertainment due to civilization diversity focused on historical facts that catch anyone, doesn’t matter your age.

So definitely I would pay 20 USD or even 30 USD, nothing more. It is a remake with some fresh RTS add-ons so must be worth the effort of dev team.

@Raw1812 said:
If you like Blizzard like myself you know that the original Starcraft is being remastered this summer. It is actually the same age as AoE1 and had a huge impact on the genre.

It was just announced that this new remaster will cost $14.99 USD

Of course, they are the first to say that this remaster is essentially a re-skinning and doesn’t change any mechanics, as opposed to the new AoE which promises modernized mechanics and revamped UI. However, speaking from experience, the multiplayer support for battlenet is probably a lot better than what we can expect from the AoE system, whatever it turns out to be.

So what do you think?

Is 14.99 now the most realistic price for AoEDE? Is this far too low? If they go too high, won’t they draw comparisons from remastered SC?

Bear in mind, you and I, dear fellow forum-user, are fanboys. You and I would pay $60 for AoEED.

But let’s be realistic, what should the price point in the US in USD be?

EDIT: I would like to add that Blizzard also made the original Starcraft FREE once they announced the HD remake. That’s how you treat fans of your franchise.

If you don’t already own RoR your options are Ebay or another ‘bay’ that is less than legal. You can’t even buy a digital version anywhere.

Starcraft 2 is already a total remaster of starcraft1…