Blizzard Sets Precedent for Price of a Remaster

No, Starcraft 2 isn’t a remaster of Starcraft 1, because it contains a whole new features, units, arcade mode, also the campaign are sequel of SC1 + Broodwar story.

Well Blizzard also has a slight advantage of

1. Essentially having 3 different franchises that basically print money
  2. Having the remastered game be wildly popular, have esports based around them, and are still playing teh original game

I mean its nice if you have what amounts to infinite money and infinite resources/time to do something. But lets be clear that not every development house can do something on the scale of what Blizzard can do. They know they can dump a ton of money into a remaster and make that money back since well people will buy it and Hearthstone/Overwatch are basically money printing machines. I’m pretty sure the Starcraft remake is going under a budget that assume several million copies are being moved at full price.

Lets be honest that AOE1 HD is great but not nearly on the scale of Starcraft. I’m sure the remake of AOE1 will be awesome. But at the same time I’m not going to compare that to a remake that essentially has the resources of a Dyson Sphere at its disposal.

@“Wicked Wulf” said:
All good points…they go too high and the only peeps willing to buy will be die hard fans of the original. Yet they need to at least make enough off it to keep the development interest active and the patches coming…

Even if they do that is not a garantee they kep supporting it.

@Satoru said:
Lets be honest that AOE1 HD is great but not nearly on the scale of Starcraft. I’m sure the remake of AOE1 will be awesome. But at the same time I’m not going to compare that to a remake that essentially has the resources of a Dyson Sphere at its disposal.

Well, it depends. What’s counting against AoEDE is the limited userbase of the windows store. But as far as I know SC Remastered will be a pretty niche release. It’s a extremely competitive game and last I heard they will be keeping the 12 unit selection limit. Stuff like that will limit the playerbase significantly in the long run. It’s not gonna be a minecraft or terraria to put it that way. AoE as a game does have potential for a more casual mass appeal, but storefront and marketing budget is certainly a concern.

@GepardenKalle said:

@Satoru said:

Well, it depends. What’s counting against AoEDE is the limited userbase of the windows store. But as far as I know SC Remastered will be a pretty niche release. It’s a extremely competitive game and last I heard they will be keeping the 12 unit selection limit. Stuff like that will limit the playerbase significantly in the long run. It’s not gonna be a minecraft or terraria to put it that way. AoE as a game does have potential for a more casual mass appeal, but storefront and marketing budget is certainly a concern.

Lets be very clear

Blizzard is pulling out all the stops for this. They expect this to be flying off the shelves and digitally

starcraft is by no means ‘niche’

@Satoru said:
Blizzard is pulling out all the stops for this.

Oh I know they are. By ‘niche’ I means it’s aimed at their own world. SC, BW in particular, is the king of rts esports - but that’s also the limits of its domain. This release is aimed at that scene, it’s not gonna knock the big hitters off the charts for any extended period of time. BW is good because of mechanics like a 12 unit selection limit and the old clunky path finding, but you’re not gonna win many new fans with limits like that.

@Satoru said:

@GepardenKalle said:

@Satoru said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzNM2pyzW8

That trailer sent chills down my spine :heart: hahaha

I think it will cost about 20-30$. But … maybe more like 20 or so.

@smitske said:

@“Wicked Wulf” said:
All good points…they go too high and the only peeps willing to buy will be die hard fans of the original. Yet they need to at least make enough off it to keep the development interest active and the patches coming…

I don’t think that would be the case. Support on AoE II HD is there - And new Addons too. But time will tell.

@Felishya said:
I think it will cost about 20-30$. But … maybe more like 20 or so.

@smitske said:

@“Wicked Wulf” said:

I don’t think that would be the case. Support on AoE II HD is there - And new Addons too. But time will tell.

But for AoM and ToTD there is none.

Well, anything higher than $40.00 (or € 40.00 where I am from) would be … too much. But who am I kidding, I will pay for it anyway. Can’t wait to play it. And they know it. The hardcore fanbase of AOE is crazy, they will pay.

Alrededor de 20 - 40 €,
I would prefer no more than 30, if it costs more than 30 I will have to impress the finish to make it worth it.

i would go for max 25 euros even though cossacks 3 was 20 euros. I have a big problem with the gaming industry . I have lost a lot trust. Because things at the release many games are buggy as ■■■■ not comptable doesn’t run well etc etc. The old gaming industry was better in that part it was not only about quantity but quality aswell. + 2 games kinda got abandoned atm AOM extended edition + Rise of nation extended edition. Now mostly it’s about the quantity less about the quality even blizzard in my eyes were way better before then now.

If you don’t agree with well that’s your opinion then.

@elrawen said:
i would go for max 25 euros even though cossacks 3 was 20 euros. I have a big problem with the gaming industry . I have lost a lot trust. Because things at the release many games are buggy as hell not comptable doesn’t run well etc etc. The old gaming industry was better in that part it was not only about quantity but quality aswell. + 2 games kinda got abandoned atm AOM extended edition + Rise of nation extended edition. Now mostly it’s about the quantity less about the quality even blizzard in my eyes were way better before then now.

Fully agree, the quality of most of these remasters has been terrible and the lacking support has also not been great. They are however working on RON, but In expect hte same poor results as TOTD.

@smitske said:

@elrawen said:
i would go for max 25 euros even though cossacks 3 was 20 euros. I have a big problem with the gaming industry . I have lost a lot trust. Because things at the release many games are buggy as hell not comptable doesn’t run well etc etc. The old gaming industry was better in that part it was not only about quantity but quality aswell. + 2 games kinda got abandoned atm AOM extended edition + Rise of nation extended edition. Now mostly it’s about the quantity less about the quality even blizzard in my eyes were way better before then now.

Fully agree, the quality of most of these remasters has been terrible and the lacking support has also not been great. They are however working on RON, but In expect hte same poor results as TOTD.

oh really of RON and yep :slight_smile:

@elrawen said:

@smitske said:

@elrawen said:

oh really of RON and yep :slight_smile:

Yea they have been working on it for the last few months, probably a shoddy dlc.
You can see this in the steam database:
https://steamdb.info/app/287450/depots/

Last edit 7 hours ago.

@Satoru said:
Well Blizzard also has a slight advantage of

1. Essentially having 3 different franchises that basically print money
  2. Having the remastered game be wildly popular, have esports based around them, and are still playing teh original game

I mean its nice if you have what amounts to infinite money and infinite resources/time to do something. But lets be clear that not every development house can do something on the scale of what Blizzard can do. They know they can dump a ton of money into a remaster and make that money back since well people will buy it and Hearthstone/Overwatch are basically money printing machines. I’m pretty sure the Starcraft remake is going under a budget that assume several million copies are being moved at full price.

Blizzard can take money from me anyday, games are all solid. I would pay that much for Starcraft remastered, AOEDE i think should be no more then $25. I would pay up to 30. We will have to see.

Anything below $30 sounds good to me.

@Raw1812 said:

@DiveDive3726 said:

@Raw1812 said:

@DiveDive3726 said:
$30.00 - $40.00

I think anywhere over $20 is very ambitious unless they make a beautiful MP server and interface and include all the fixings of a modern RTS, like replays, post-game charts with things like army value, apm etc. And host tournaments with cash winnings.

LOL… ok

I think you have to get my logic here…SC1 is getting a remaster, it is the same age as AoE and it is a much more beloved and popular game, having sold 11 million copies to AoE1’s a million or so and universally ranking better on the lists of best PC games of all time.

What, in your mind, justifies AoE being 2 to 3 times the price of a similar SC remaster?

Symphony orchestra’s don’t come cheap.

@CagierNebula24 said:

@Raw1812 said:

@DiveDive3726 said:

@Raw1812 said:

@DiveDive3726 said:
$30.00 - $40.00

I think anywhere over $20 is very ambitious unless they make a beautiful MP server and interface and include all the fixings of a modern RTS, like replays, post-game charts with things like army value, apm etc. And host tournaments with cash winnings.

LOL… ok

I think you have to get my logic here…SC1 is getting a remaster, it is the same age as AoE and it is a much more beloved and popular game, having sold 11 million copies to AoE1’s a million or so and universally ranking better on the lists of best PC games of all time.

What, in your mind, justifies AoE being 2 to 3 times the price of a similar SC remaster?

Symphony orchestra’s don’t come cheap.

Someone jump in and correct me if I’m wrong: I have a suspicion that the ‘fully orchestrated’ music refers to the actual composition being made for a symphony orchestra, however, the music we heard in the sampler was created entirely digitally in a program with no real instruments.

@smitske said:

@“Wicked Wulf” said:

Listen I am a firm believer in constructive criticism, but I have yet to find ONE positive post you have made about anything…it is getting old. I am of the mind to give them the chance to do what is right and to release a great game that several are eagerly looking forward to and THEN if they don’t…you can complain. Give negative Nancy a break…Please!