Bohemians need central european set

Agreed. (20 characters)

3 Likes

Absolutely. Czechs (Bohemians) were always culturally closer to Germans (Teutons) than Russians (Slavs).

6 Likes

what about poland? same ridicolus

4 Likes

always? their slavs and teh german setlers made it more similar isall.
before hre were even more diferent

Maybe originally, but considering the whole scope of AoE2, Czechs since Feudal Age have been mostly under HRE together with Germans, and far from Russian architecture.

And AoE2 Dark Age building sets are almost all the same. So you don’t exactly have a point.

4 Likes

I agree 100%.

An orthodox church is completely out of place and outright breaks immersion.
Devs, if you are listening, please think about changing the architecture from Eastern European > Central European for Bohemians civ.

The only downside is the campaign will include the same buildings, but the downside has a minimal impact compare to the endless hours we will be stuck with Eastern Architecture in multiplayer.

8 Likes

That would imply they’d think of us as really dumb people

In that case, they would also have change the Frank architecture to a different set so we distinguish them from the English in the Jeanne campaign. Meanwhile we’re at it, let’s change Celts western euro architecture to mediterranean too so it looks different from the English attacking us, and so on.

8 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with this. If they want to make this ‘‘historically accurate’’ at least to some degree, they should definetly give Bohemians and Poles the central european architectural set. Hussites in Kievian Rus’ sound wacky and it does indeed looks ridiculous.

1 Like

no teh poles must keep a easternn arcitechture.
the german builduings dont fit. just must change their church

1 Like

I think you need to create 2 new styles of architecture to solve this problem - Byzantine and North European (shared with the Vikings) / or Ruthenian.

The present East European style would get the new (Catholic) Monastery and the new Byzantine style would get the present (Byzantine-Orthodox) Monastery appearance. It is worth noting that the present East European Monastery is modeled on Gelati Monastery in Kutaisi (Georgia).

The current Civ Slavs (Rus) could have a common architectural style with the Vikings - wooden buildings. The differences between the two civs in building models could be for: Monastery, Castle and Walls. Slavs civ (Rus) should have a unique Monastery with onion dome, a unique Castle - Kremlin and unique whitewashed Stone Walls (similar to Kazan and Rostov). Viking civ would have a unique Monastery (stave church), a unique Castle appearance and unique Stone Walls. The rest of the buildings could have the same appearance. With Age up, building models could gain a bit more stone / bricks.

4 Likes

Speaking of Poland - the Age2 architecture sets often only provide a vague representation of a civ’s actual architecture in one time period.
To me it sometimes feels like compromising for a “lesser evil”.

The Brama Florianska of medieval Kraków, built about 1300 as a rectangular Gothic tower of wild stone.

Barbakan in Warsaw

It appears the Eastern European set which somewhat resembles Brick-Gothic suits their medieval architecture well as far as fortifications go. It also harmonizes well with the design of their castle.

It’s good to have the white stone buildings in the mix because especially peasants’ buildings in medieval Poland were more similar to what the Central European set looks like.

The monastery deserves a separate mention as it is what makes the architecture style seem improper for both civs.
An optimal solution would be exchanging the Poles’ Orthodox monastery for a Catholic one. It should not take much effort and is justified considering new civs get unique Castle skins too.

Polish medieval church

After consideration I believe the Central European style would make sense for Poland unless the devs gave them a Catholic church afterwards.
However the Eastern European set comes as a welcome alternative and looks a lot better in conjunction with their castle.
I’m frankly let down we didn’t see a new architecture set for Bohemians and Poles to set them apart from their Eastern and Western neighbours.

8 Likes

Nonsense, Bohemia was part of Holy Roman Empire since 1001 (Prague was capital of the empire multiple times), huge portion of Bohemian population was german until 20th century. One of the most important german books from 15th century comes from Bohemia. The culture of the country is basically same as in Austria and Bavaria and very different from polish. Basically the only eastern thing in Bohemia is the language.

4 Likes

post evidance pls. their slavs not german germans just minoirty

In fact he is very close to the truth. We dont have exact numbers from middle ages, but here are some facts:

• Beginning 12th century German colonists were being invited mainly into border areas to clear dense forests and establish towns. Those areas were large and significant.

• Eger (Cheb in Czech) was 100% German city until WW2. It had even an status of “imperial city”. So there were parts which were originally German.

• During middle ages there was even a brand new German dialect called “Egerland”, in that dialect books were printed and the language was very vivid. Example: that dialect did not have classic ö and ü, but only “i”. It had also different words.

• Usually German colonists had skills which were new and welcome. Many Gothic buildings have features of so called “Saxon Gothic”. So at least at the beginning they must be built by Germans. There is a part of Bohemia called Erzgebirge (Krušné hory) and it was inhabitted by German colonists who started to mine ores there. The world “krušné” is an adjective from Old Czech verb and it means to crush.

• If we take into account Silesia, which was Polish but later joined Bohemian Crown and gradually was Germanized by heavy German influx, we increase portion of Germans by a large number.

• Whats more, with German language it was like with English today. People were not Germanized, but because of laziness and coolness they began to employ German words into Czech vocabulery. I dont have any source for this but few months ago I listened to one Czech language expert who spoke about natural overtaking words from other languages as a natural process of language development. It must be reminded that concept of “nation” was not yet born so nationality did not matter and the only difference was language. People often lived side by side so it was natural Germans understood at least basically to Czech and vice versa.

• Fashion and manners were also taken over from German neighbours. Just lets look at some statues of Bohemian kings, they look Western and are very often stylized as kings or warriors (so we can see clothes).

• I forgot: The oldest German university is in Prague. The Charles university was designed as the imperial university for all people from the empire. Czechs had 1/4 votes.

So unlike Poland I believe Bohemia was really a mixture of Slavic inheritance and German influx. People lived here mostly peacefully and together shaped the face of the state. (To be fair according to DNA research, Bohemians are mix of “everyone” - Slavic, German, Celtic, French and Italien, even traces of Anglo-saxon can be found which is super weird…)

So thats why Bohemians should have been regarded as Central European :slight_smile:

On wiki there is not so much about Germans from time of castles and kings so at least I add this…

7 Likes

I would also like to add that Bohemians civ represents, apart from Czechs, also Moravians, Silesians (who are even now culturally closer to Czechs than Poles) and Lusatians.
I don’t know if the same can be said about Slovaks who were dominated by Hungarians.

3 Likes

so leave the easterr europe set for em

Well just no.
The Czech Kingdom was part of the HRE and that’s it. Czech towns and villages look completely different from Polish towns and villages. Czech architecture is definitely Central European.

11 Likes

It does not make sense in continuing… If somebody is deaf you cannot talk to him :slight_smile:

Maybe some Slovak corrects me but I think Slovaks were gradually Hungarised although they kept language and were more aligned to traditional European warfare styles (like representing infantry and heavy cavalry units while Hungarians in general employed also light cavalry and archer cavalry).

1 Like

Poles civ represented - Lechitic nations.
Bohemians civ represented - Czech-Slovak and Sorbian nations.

So that the West Slavs are perfectly represented :smile:

6 Likes

Was about time. Now give Bohemians the Central European architecture set and it’s all done.

7 Likes