Bohemians need central european set

No. Bohemia was a member of the Holy Roman Empire for centuries. They need the Central European architecture set. Bohemia and Poland are not the same countries or cultures.

9 Likes

Giving them the german buildings would also balance the building sets more.5 for eastern central and south europe buildings.

3 Likes

Yeah, that will be an added benefit to the already historically established usage of Central European architecture by Bohemians.

Hmm it’s about time. So let’s change it to Central European and we’re happy.

5 Likes

Devs should take not of this and change the buildings.having 6 civis per one building set is overkill.

6 Likes

Some examples of Bohemian city walls, just to see what type of material was used:

(this one is literally from my hometown)

EDIT: While this was as a retort to someone for an argument, I beg you mods to not delete this! (and I am a bit sad the previous post with the photos seems to have been deleted)

I think these images could serve as a good example for why the Central European set is good instead of the Eastern European set! It shows the appropriate, real architecture of the Kingdom of Bohemia, which I think serves as a nice argument for this thread. I will edit the post to make it purely about architecture, not arguments.

6 Likes

A simple solution for having different buildings per civi is change castles monastery houses walls and towers.just look at the central and western european buildings just the roof difference.

I agree and also the Central European architecture is under used only by Teutons, Vikings, Goths and Huns is that it? Meanwhile the Eastern European architecure is used by Slavs, Lithuanians, Bulgarians, Magyars, Poles and Bohemians if unchanged.

I’m not sure if anything will be done. There were calls since DE release to change Persians to the Central Asian set used by Tatars and Cumans. People put up lots of photographs and evidence plus I dont think changing a civs architecture set to another one would be that hard but nope.

8 Likes

Moderators deleted many posts that were posted since yesterday.
Is this a sign that our request is closer to getting noticed by devs?
Thanks guys for keeping this thread alive!

Now, in a more peaceful manner, I will repost my examples of romanesque and gothic architecture from the Kingdom of Bohemia. Just to show how the Duchy, and later Kingdom of Bohemia followed the western trends in architecture. Also to show that stone was used a lot, as it was abundant in these lands.

Rotunds, small churches in the romanesque architecture style. This is mostly the style that the Central European set is based off of.

A basillica at the Prague Castle in Prague. Also an example of that same romanesque architecture, with a gothic wing, from what it looks like.

A basillica in Třebíč. This one is kind of a mix of romanesque and gothic, but we can still see the romanesque style arches and windows. This one is also a UNESCO heritage site.

The Přimda Castle ruin, one of the oldest castles that is still (somewhat) standing today. First mention of it is from 1121. It’s in the Western Bohemia and it has a fully functioning medieval toilet. It was tested when we were there, so I know it works. :smiley:

The Castle Křivoklát, in Central Bohemia, one of the prettiest ones in my opinion. Built around 1230, served as a castle for Bohemian kings. A great example of the gothic architecture and the kind of fortification used in Bohemia at the time.

The Zvíkov Castle, Central Bohemia. First mention of it comes from 1234, it was probably founded sometime earlier, perhaps also around 1230. It’s interior has beautiful gothic arches.

Also gonna show these two examples of regular buildings, which were neither churches nor castles, nor towers. The first one is from Cheb, which actually belonged to the HRE fully for a long time, before it became a part of Bohemia. A strong German influence can be seen here with the timber framing. Timber framing itself became popular in the Kingdom itself a little bit later.
The second is a gothic house from Prague, the House at the Stone Bell. Pretty snadrard gothic architecture, looks like mostly sandstone was used on the building.
Next I want to show the Old Town City Hall tower in Prague. Probably most famous for its Astronomical clock, which actually was there (though not how it looks today) in Medieval Ages. From what I could see of the roof, it looks like this building will be the Wonder for Bohemians - which would also make sense, as the St. Vitus Cathedral is already taken. Again, typical gothic building, stone was used.

The last two examples I wanted to show would be of some Bohemian cathedrals! Fist is the St. Barbara’s Church, founded in 1388 in Kutná Hora, our biggest mining city. Very rich thanks to their silver mines, and we can see that on this church itself and how rich and elaborate it looks. Very beautiful, very gothic. Again, stone was mostly used.
And finaly, the biggest boy of them all, the St. Vitus Cathedral. This one was actually used for the Frankish wonder, which I find incredibly hilarious, but hey, as a Czech, I’m not complaining. :smiley: I think this proves, more than any other buildings, that our Kingdom truly followed the current western architecture trends, since the devs themselves used it for the Franks.

I am leaving these here in peace, just as examples of Bohemian architecture - fortifications, churches, regular houses. Just to prove that yes, Bohemia was influenced by the Western Europe and the Holy Roman Empire stongly, including the architecture. And that yes, they deserve the Central Bohemian set, not the Eastern European.

10 Likes

I know, and I wish the devs would listen to people about that. It’s not even about making entirely new architecture set, just switching a civ over to a set that might match better.

3 Likes

You put many effort into it, well done! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We may begin to look for a reason, why devs assigned Eastern Euro architecture to Bohemians in the first place, if Central Euro is the obvious choice.
First thing that comes in my mind is to differentiate crusader and hussite buildings in Jan Zizka campaign.
Did they do it just for that one campaign? Compared to replay value of Bohemians with correct Central arch. set, in millions of possible random map matches across the playerbase?

1 Like

Thank you, thank you. I tried. While it did originally serve as a “gotcha” for that other person, I think it would be a pity not to have these examples here, while we all debate for the Central European set for Bohemians. :slight_smile:

The “better” reason you already mentioned (and I did up in this thread too) - to visually differentiate the Hussites and the Crusaders/HRE on a first glance.

The second option is they just think of us as Eastern Europe, so we have the Eastern European set because of that, which would be a… not so good of a reason, in my opinion, because of everything mentioned up above.

5 Likes

That might be the reason, but there are already campaigns with similar sets all the gameplay - Joan of Arc (Burgundians retained western set), Sforza… maybe there are other…

So I dont see problem in it…

Yes, this simplification is annoying like everything beyond Elbe is weird, non-western, so just put them into one basket…

3 Likes

Building set modpacks are very easy to do and anyone could make a modpack. You apply it to your game and its done. What’s so difficult?

1 Like

By that logic, why doesn’t each of us make a personal modpack for ourselves for singleplayer play, where we will change everything we want? Nerf Mamelukes? Rename a quarter of civs? Change architecture for some of them?

Because it would make devs look like incompetent people, who can’t bother to look into history books and evidence nor listen to people’s opinion when they are right. That’s why we don’t do that, instead we’re “helping” them.

1 Like

Is it still a bad thing to want a better-fitting set for these civs though? Yes, it can be modded, but why should that stop us from wanting it to be done officially?

4 Likes

Mod and official game will always differ.

2 Likes

If possible I would want a Byzantine set for Bulgarians and Byzantines and the Georgians and Armenians as civilisations which would get the buildset too. But there doesn’t seem to be the appetite for these right now. You can put the modpack and you would see the buildset you want as much. You think you are right but many others may have a different view, and no point yelling and screaming here.

1 Like

Oh, Armenians and Georgians with their own architecture set would be definitely wonderful to have. Not too sure if Byz and Bulgarians also should have it, I think Byz should get the orthodox church, but otherwise both work kind of fine? Although a specific Byzantine-style set also doesn’t sound bad. I think making an entirely new set is probably harder than just switching a civ to a different, already existing one (like with Persians and Bohemians).

Again, sure, we can do mods, but we would definitely like to see it officially done. We are not yelling and screaming, we’re just pointing out the current architecture set from the screenshots is not in line with what was built in the country at the time and what its cultural influences were.

3 Likes