As many of us wants to see the Byzantines appear in Age of Empires IV, I decided that I would also make a concept about it. Here’s what I made and another reason I did this thread is because I disagreed with some parts of an already existing thread about the Byzantine Empire. So, I made this to put in my ideas.
The Byzantines are a civilization that continues the Roman Empire in the eastern provinces. It spams the years 475 - 1453 and ruled over the various territories within the eastern parts of Europe. The Byzantine rulers had a strong military and built the Theodosian wall, a unique building. The Byzantines continued the use of the Cataphract, a unique cavalry unit.
- Buildings (excluding Landmarks and Walls) have +60% hitpoints
- Barracks and Keeps are 50% cheaper
- Spearman upgrades are researched 15% faster
- Advancing in age is 20% cheaper but 10% slower
- Excubitor - Unique infantry unit that replaces the Man-At-Arms
- Varangian Guard - Unique medium infantry unit that’s available at the Barracks
- Cataphract - Unique cavalry unit that replaces the Knight
- Dromon - Unique warship
- Theodosian Wall - Unique defensive structure that replaces the Stone Wall
- Domestic of the Schools - Excubitors are 10% faster
- Hetaireia - Varangian Guards have +2 melee armor
- Aristocracy - Excubitors and Varangian Guards are created 15% faster
- Ecumenical Council - Monks heal 100% faster
- Greek Fire - Dromon can deploy a flamethrower
- Fortified Defenses - Palisade Walls and Theodosian Walls receive +35% HP
- Palaiologan Army - Killed military units return 50% of resources
See this thread about them because the person who made this thread has better ideas about the Landmarks than me: The Byzantine Empire Speculation - Age of Empires IV / IV - Discussion - Age of Empires Forum
For more useful ideas with how the Byzantines could look like. Click on the link to the thread that’s under the Landmarks section.