Calling It Already - Lakota is S+ Tier Again, Malta F Tier

But you can destroy it way easier. The suggestion to make it cost the exact same as an average Barracks is ridiculous.

3 Likes

Indeed you could only increase it’s price to 200 wood if you also buffed its hp to that of a barracks. This would also effect the church tech and you’d need to halve the cost of that.

2 Likes

When a normal civs 400w age up for 2 barracks only and Malta 400w age up can 2 barracks + heal function and 2 houses just for less HP is really ridiculous.

Less HP is only an excuse for people to say they are fine.

It’s not really an exception in the game. Africans get war camps for 200 wood which is a 2 in 1 stable and barracks with combined and cheaper upgrades that also boost train time. China gets a 2 in 1 barracks and stable as well. Both of those civs save 200 wood, compared to malta saving 100 wood.

You also have the natives and the russians with war huts/blockhouses. A war hut is a combined barracks and outpost and a blockhouse is a hybrid barracks/outpost/house.

Point being there are plenty of examples of different kinds of barracks that are more efficient than a regular barracks.

5 Likes

Steel Bolts’ Siege Damage got massively nerfed, what are you talking about?!?!

You mean the shipment that also got nerfed in this last update? What more do you guys want?

2 Likes

Sounds as long as other barracks have additional function can be excuse from you for Malta half cost barrack with additional function too.

Rework fixed gun.
Nerf crossbow.

Yeah just a tiny 40% nerf lol I guess they should have nerfed it 100%.

Well yes, not everything has to be identical to vanilla civs, malta has only 1 factory for example so why don’t we make them exactly like vanilla civs and increase the barracks to 200 wood and give them an extra factory, sounds great to me.

Crossbow has already had a 40% reduction in siege damage, other than that what else is special about it? It has less range than a skirm and 3 combat cards just like dutch skirms have.

How do you suggest reworking the fixed gun? It’s already a terrible value age 3 shipment for the fixed gun wagon being worth 700 res and not a 1000. It’s an immobile 2 falc equivalent that can’t attack at close range and gets beat by culvs and mortars with ease.

3 Likes

Yes it is terrible value for a fixed gun. For their status now should cost at least more than 1000 resources.
You are right at this point.

1 Like

I was thinking more along the lines of the age 3 card should provide a fixed gun and reduce it’s population by 1. That would make the shipment more worthwhile.

2 Likes

Again, I already included the opinions are based on competitive top level, and may not be the case for all level, because of this lacking knowledge before commenting on balance approach we get balance breaking issues like italy while it was already strong at competitive level, because some mechanics aren’t used enough in different levels don’t make it balanced, malta is extremely broken and it needs to be balanced if the goal is to make Aoe3 a competitive game, otherwise a 40 food 40 wood unit with better stats than skirms and not respecting to unit counter system with a balance breaking culverin and fixed guns will still stay.

Well you wanted malta nerfs and a major complaint was steel bolts right so that got nerfed 40% that’s no longer an issue. Xbow might be cost effective units but they’re far from equal to skirms in many ways such as no CIR and don’t benefit from all the advanced arsenal techs, skirms also have a higher multiplier vs heavy infantry at base. Skirms also have more range and 10% more ranged resist with the same HP in fortress. Cost efficiency also varies from civ to civ, xbows are less cost efficient now as well due to the nerf to wignacourt, you could also say late game skirms are more cost efficient due to other civs having 2 factories they can place on gold. Dutch probably have super efficient skirms as well due to faster than normal gold gathering and banks.

The culverin is also an exaggerated claim. In age 3 a culverin won’t survive an additional shot until 8 home city cards have been sent and now malta get an xp penalty because of the 2% hp they receive. Good culverins are also essential to the civ when it revolves around stationary artillery and they lack a 2 falc shipment.

As you said you’re talking about competitive level, all these changes will have profound effects at such a high level where every unit counts, at 500 elo where people don’t even make vills constantly the 5% change to wignacourt has no effect. A 40% reduction in xbow siege damage is huge as is the change to wignacourt, that’s basically a 5% nerf to the whole eco, look at how poorly portugal performs despite the feitorias buff just because they removed the extra 5% food gathering and malta got 5% lowered on everything.

Fixed guns are also not broken at all, the age 3 shipment is only worth 700 res it should be buffed to reduce pop space by 1. The unit is countered by culvs and mortars as it should be and you can also rush cav under it and it can’t even attack.

4 Likes

Now, we can’t say for certain that Ports are still low tier, since the last update is very recent and we don’t have enough data to arrive at a conclusion. However, something tells me that you aren’t far from the truth.

1 Like

As you mentioned, fixed gun is worth only 700 res but to kill it costs at least 3 culvs and much more which is like double more investment commit to a unit, then malta will deal with better culverins in competitive top level, please have understanding the points you make are mostly not applying in the competitive elo and I would suggest avoiding to make conclusions because they are respectfully not applying for competitive level at all.

1 Like

in fact you don’t need to keep mentioning competitive level because I am not but I agree with you at this point.

Keep mentioning competitive level sounds only balance for competition.

This kind of statement is why whilst I respect high level players I don’t take their opinions as fact.

In fortress age 2 culverins easily kill a fixed gun and the culvs are left with half hp left, even more if you seperate them. Even 2 falconets if you seperate them a bit so the fixed gun doesn’t hit them both they will leave a fixed gun with 390 HP by the time it kills both of them.
So you can either train 2 culvs, ship 2 falcs get it’s damage low then rush in some cav to finish it off/have units siege it while the falcs are firing or alternatively ship your regular 2 falcs and just make 1 culv and together they will easily destroy the fixed gun.

The fixed gun isn’t killing 3 culvs unless it’s an age 4 fixed gun against age 3 culvs and all the culvs are bunched together and get hit at the same time but at high level I’d hope players seperate their culvs when fighting the fixed gun so even then it would not kill 3 culverin.

These are baseless claims at high level or not. You can test it yourself in the scenario editor with culvs/falcs etc vs fixed gun.

3 Likes

Let’s play some games I’ll play as malta, is it alright?

2 Likes

Because balance matters most at competitive level, as you can see on so much posts around these forums about balance are literally informations that are not accurate at all. This thread is not first of them, which is because of causal level balance talks resulting different approaches which mostly conflict with competitive approach.

My friend there’s no need to start shouting your elo from the rooftops. You’re like 400 elo above me so regardless if you played with only pikes you’d probably win. I watch your streams actually.

All I’m saying in my post is speaking based on facts and having tested the units in game and in scenario editor. Even with 2 falcs which rightfully lose to a stationary unit like the fixed gun(it needs to be stronger because it can’t even move) you can finish it off with a couple of siege attacks when it has 390 hp left. 2 culvs easily win in fortress it’s not even close. I can’t just accept people saying a fixed gun beats 3 culvs when it doesn’t even beat 2, any claims need to be backed up otherwise we end up with more unneeded nerfs based on hearsay and speculation.

3 Likes

May be you misunderstand a little bit. Fixed gun is not directly beat 3 culv. It is their opponent need to invest much more resources to solve a fixed gun.
If fixed gun does not have any protection, sure I can just send 2 petards to solve, it sounds too UP for fixed gun.