CAMERA SETTINGS the solution?

The bigger the screen, the more resolution you use generally so that you see more part of the map. For example big monitors usually use 3840x2160 resolution. If the view is always the same, even if you are in a small, medium or big screen than the size of the screen matters. The view that is ok for example in a medium monitor, is not ok usually in a big one. (For that you use usually different resolution option). In a big screen to play with the view of a medium screen, is like play in a medium screen with resolution 960x540.

I think that the bigger the screen is, the closer the camera is to the terrain so that the view is always the same.

Practically this is the most camera zoom in game I ever played that is after 2003. And I have played almost all the strategy games out there. Yes, I play and games before 2000 with max resolution 1200x700 lets say. But I don’t compare AoE4 with these games. Sometimes it is not so bad, but when you have to move the camera in a mountain it is so zoom in the camera. Even at max zoom out the town center is the 1/3 of the monitor regardless how big it is. This is not ok.

I don’t care about the graphics. As I says I play and games 30 years old. But I care to be able to see more than 3 buildings at max zoom out. The game is great. I just want to be able to play it and in my desktop, and not just in my laptop because of this.

PS: Don’t know about you but for me in my 29 inches monitor with 2K resolution it was not ok. In my 16 inches laptop, yes, there it was ok.

I am pretty sure Starcraft 2 has more zoom in, and the camera is more in your face than AoE4.

1 Like

you don’t need to look at the map to know where things are located in starcraft 2. those maps are not random. aoe maps are always new every time you play, so you need to see a lot of the map at once to make plans

1 Like

3 comments

1. AoE4 at mountains is a lot more zoom in than Starcraft 2. Units are a little more zoom in, but buildings are way more. Practically you can see only 3 buildings. I am speaking about 2K monitor. Yes, in medium monitors Starcraft 2 is more zoom in, but it takes into consideration the resolution you use and in higher resolutions it saws more terrain.
  2. The maps in starcraft 2 are smaller and fixed. As map becomes bigger you have to see more part of terrain to understand what is going on.
  3. I would also like a little more map in Starcraft 2. But because of 1 and 2 parameters it is not so important. But in AoE4, in big 2K resolution monitor, to see less part of map than starcraft 2, in a bigger map than starcraft 2, is not something good.

The problem is that the game has not resolution, so regardless the size of the screen, the view is always the same. If this is ok in a medium monitor, it is not ok the same view in a big monitor. It is similar to play a RTS game that uses resolution with 960x540 resolution at a 1920x1080 monitor. I have done it with old games, because I still play even old rts games. But this is not something I want to fill when I play AoE4.
If I had to say a number, at 2K resolution AoE4 is 30-40% more zoom in at plains and 60-70% more zoom in at mountains (which does not change the view in starcraft 2). But yes, these numbers does not have precision, but for sure AoE4 camera is way more zoom in than starcraft 2 at 2K resolution.

PS: You compare Starcraft 2 camera at 1920x1080 resolution with the 3840x2160 resolution of AoE4, because AoE4 has the same view in both resolutions. But starcraft 2 uses resolution so so you have to compare in both games the camera for same resolution.

1 Like

The real problem are elevations and 3d ground. I mean, when camera is placed over some elevation, you can’t see literally anything. If they keep the 3d ground, they need to decrease elevations to a 50% and trying to solve the perspective that it creates.

3 Likes

At big monitors even in plains the view you have is less than every other RTS that has 2K resolution (way more zoom in - practically it is more zoom in and from many RTS games which has till 1920x1080 max resolution) but in hills, yes, the view is literally limited. Practically in hills it is almost unplayable at big monitors. I opened and a post before 1 week asking for reduction at elevation/hill height. At hills, at big monitors, practically the camera is very close to the terrain so that it shows the same screen view it shows at medium monitors (where it also is close enough).

1 Like

The difference of view makes so much difference, I played 7 multiplayer games. 3 in my laptop, where I won all, and 4 in my desktop where I lost all. I couldn’t play good with a so much zoom in monitor

And I don’t say that I would had won the other 4 games. The problem is that I know that I wasn’t playing good at the other 4 games.

About this part of the mountain I totally agree, but it’s nice to have these new elevations in the game, they just can’t hinder the vision.
You can see in these launch images they sent that the TC takes up a lot of the screen, you see the units very close to the screen:

And I believe this makes those more traditional gamers uncomfortable with the graphics, and the solution to this maybe just changing the camera will solve most of the visual problems. Reading the forums I saw that these graphics are a very subjective problem, it depends a lot. But it seems to me that the simplified models, units without much detail were made to be seen from afar, don’t you think?

As for the resolution you’re discussing, 2k, FHR, I don’t think it matters that much. Of course it will make a difference when zooming out, but it would be something for everyone it doesn’t depend on the screen size.

We have to see the FoV side (field of view) which is what is distorting everything in AoE4, the camera in these images appears to be very close, not only in terms of resolution, but angle. Just like the @Barbarosa1559 said.
bm19qp2w80321

In my opinion, a real-time strategy game where you have to manage multiple unit builds, production lines, would be clearer and better if there was a different camera option, in the same perspective, or a 3d one. Farther away isometric like this example (consider context over angle, not graphics):

3 Likes

My problem is not the perspective view. It is that even in max zoom out the camera is very close to the terrain. There are bigger elevation where the max zoom out is even less where literally 1/3 of the screen is a town center. In a 29 inches monitor (or bigger, 29 is the one I have) the town center is bigger than my head literally. This is the problem. You can’t play the game so much zoom in. You can’t have the same view regardless the monitor you have. It can’t be the same view ok for a 16 inches monitor and for a 29 inches monitor or an even bigger one. This is basic. Every game has the resolution parameter to solve this.

Yes, this is the problem. The fix is very easy. Just the camera to goes up. I didn’t say anything else. But till we have a new that this will happen etc, this is a major problem for me and for everyone that uses a big monitor I suspect. :frowning:

2 Likes

Drongo says it clearly

PS: I will add to the video, my thought. If the problem is the units size, it can be increased for example lets say 30%. I don’t think anyone will have a problem. But the max zoom out if it is very low, this is a major problem. It exclude every PC with big monitor and it makes pure user experience to other pcs
 at 3:36 someone can saw the max zoom out at a low hill. This can become even worst as hill becomes bigger where 1 building is 1/3 of a screen regardless how big the monitor is.

5 Likes

Doesn’t this depend on the monitor’s resolution. If the resolution is higher, then the game will show more terrain, if the resolution is the same on a bigger monitor, then it will only make everything bigger. You sure you didn’t play on a lower resolution by mistake?

We’ll make some comparisons once the game comes out. Pretty confident Starcraft 2 is more zoomed in.

Don’t you see units on lower elevations as further away (smaller) when on a cliff? You guys are saying silly things. The camera definitely zooms out more when panning over a mountain.

1 Like

In AoE4 there is no resolution. Full screen means same view for everyone. There is not any way to zoom out more regardless the settings you pick. If you pick a resolution without full screen, if it is the same you will see the same image as full screen, else you will see the game same view just as windowed. There is no resolution practically. And for that how big small a monitor is it change things. Practically the bigger the monitor is it is like you play the game with lower resolution. Buildings come closer to you so that you see in bigger monitor the same things

I tested
 at 3840x2160 in AoE4 you have practically as I wrote above 30-40% more zoom in at plains and 60-70% more zoom in at mountains (which does not change the view in starcraft 2). And what I mean when I say 60-70%? You see practically 3-4 times more terrain
 and as I thinking it its 5-6 times more so its not 80-90% more zoon in
 Practically you see 2-3 buildings at AoE4, but in starcraft at 3840x2160 resolution you can see your base, and if you was putting your base again in the map near your first one, you could see this too very easily. At 3840x2160 resolution you see 4 times more terrain than in 1920x1080.

Then the camera goes very close to the terrain and you see as I says buildings to be 1/3 of your screen. You can see the video at 3:36 with a small hill. As you goes higher you see even less things
 Obviously if part of a screen shows a plain/valley, there you see lot of things
 but in hill you see almost nothing
 and if you go the screen all above the hill you will see usually max 3 buildings and nothing else.
And I haven’t understand your point.

This is the max zoom out of the game. And in bigger hills it is even less. Even if you use lets say a 50 inches monitor. Still this is the max zoom out. There is not resolution parameter. Do you think that this is correct?

PS: Practically this is my first time I really afraid how much I will like the game. I was thinking that there is not any possibility to keep this camera setting. And its funny because I like almost every RTS game
 (obviously some more - some less but still every one
) I wouldn’t care if graphics were even pixels
 but I want to see more than 3 buildings in screen at max zoom out
 Obviously I like the graphics AoE4 has. But what’s the point if I can’t play the game in my desktop but only in my laptop which I usually use it for old games that have very low resolution < 1920x1080?

My best RTS games are AoE3 and Supreme Commander. The game I have played more hours than any other game is AoE2. So I had very high expectations for AoE4. And right now I don’t know If I will ever play it in my desktop. (Obviously in my laptop I use at work I will play it a lot). But I don’t think that this is the correct way things to go

4 Likes

You don’t understand what I’m trying to say. It’s annoying when, because of the prespective, you constantly have to move the camera just for seeing your units clearly, losing the perspective of the remaining ground and happening things.

I still don’t understand why you’re talking about screen size so much. You should see the same thing on two different sized monitors, just a different size.

Unless you are actually talking about resolution? Which could have an effect depending on the game.

There is not resolution. Every monitor, regardless resolution has the same view. If you have resolution, you have a window for the game that shows the same size of view in the resolution you have picked (or a smaller one, I don’t remember). If you have full screen, the resolution is deactivated and the game adjust the camera height, so that you always see the same view. The thing is simple. In a high mountain, with whatever setting you use, you will have an even closer view than the one I posted which is for small mountain.

The same image is not good for every size of monitor. Seeing 3 buildings only in a 14 inches monitor is ok, so the game is ok even at hills. Seeing 3 buildings in a 29 inches monitor is not ok. I can’t explain it simpler.

1 Like

Every monitor should have the same image though. Otherwise you are giving an advantage to players with bigger monitors.

5 comments

1. There is not any other game where the resolution does not work. I cant remember any, and I mean any

2. Also if you can zoom out more than even in smaller monitors people can see the same view.
  3. Who said that and in smaller monitors, example 24 inches, is this max allowed zoom out the best option?
  4. Big monitors are not for competitive play because the user have to move the mouse longer distances to take an action. I don’t know any top player play in big monitor in any RTS game.
  5. Right now the concept is not if the one with the big monitor has any advantage, which he hasn’t. The problem is if the game is even playable in big monitors.

Sorry, you’re not really making sense.

sorry, you don’t understand obviously what I say
 maybe my English are not good, maybe you don’t want to understand, maybe both.

completely agree. but they should zoom out x3. so it would be equalized. As a man with big monitor, i dont see a problem if every one would play x3 more zoomed out. Everyone equalized.
Higher zoom → more advantage, force that advantage for all players.

Or why dont restrict fps 30 fps, if more → it would be counted as advantage.