Can we talk about the custom Civ builder and how its been locked out?

SOTL did a custom civ builder video. was abit of fun making civilisations and just playing them with friends. its been blocked out of the game. I understand the fear of us making civ’s and not buying the DLC (that was possible before) but couldn’t it just see if its trying to use assets not yet obtained? or allow it once you have bought all the DLC? i feel like this is abit of a F*** you to the people playing the game and building mods.

How locked out, the mod section is full of that trash, almost 10.000 entries just of civ builder entries.
And they are so low effort that the good mods are unable to find more. I wish Microsoft would delete every civ builder entrie or make it at least no public or local, but best would be delete all and ban future entires of this kind.

8 Likes

What exactly do you mean by locked out? I’ve never owned the DLCs and I’ve had no issues publishing mods with DLC content in them.

The game now checks how many civ’s you have in your game. if it doesent match the generic civ number the game refuses to run.

i was only making assumptions about maybe recreating the DLC civs in the custom thing and then bypassing the need to buy the civs.

Yes, this is a mix of
A. microsoft greed = neglecting to ensure this aspect is not broken like you suggest…
B. the original developer of this using the regular mod server to make it work…
C.the people who like regular mods very upset by the FLOOD (11) of civ builder stuff(even though this shows how much interest there is in modding)
D. the skeleton crew that’s left to manage aoe2 while all the hotshots are busy on aoe4 are facing all of the above

I don’t think it’s locked out like you say, probably something broken under the hood so to speak, but if it is broken it was kinda bound to happen, a great idea, and cool that it took off so fast, but it was literally GUSHING rando entries onto the mod servers, that are already neglected enough.

My thoughts? Learn to use the Genie editor that came with the game, and do things civ builder never dreamed of…

…though ive heard MS store users do have problems with modding… which is disgusting… this game is only alive and all the money MS made off of DE is ONLY because a dedicated community kept the game alive. Least they can do is allow them to keep doing so… lol

****EDIT: OH YEAH MICROSOFT NO NEED TO KILL DE MODDING TO FORCE PEOPLE OVER TO AOE4, I ALREADY BOUGHT IT AND HAVE 2 COPIES OF AOE2DE ON TOP OF 2 COPIES OF THE ORIGINAL BACK IN 98. TAKE ALL MY MONEY PLEASE JUST LET ME MAKE MY MODS AND MAPS AND CRAZINESS… ILL EVEN GIVE YOU MY SOUL! :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I agree with this. Microsoft please remove all this nonsense entries which are mostly low effort in quality. It’s so hard to find the necessary mods those that are actually usable.

1 Like

its not locked and i hope they actually lock this tr**h, they simply contribute nothing and just spam useless mods that no one wants play, in the end it just makes hard find really good mods

4 Likes

Ah, what you’re referring to is the DotD made all mods generated before the patch obselete. If you recombine your .jsons into a new mod file, it should work with the current patch.

1 Like

what do you mean, recombine your jsons?

Exactly I stated the same sentiment in this thread;