Cannot age up & player missing in skirmish lobby

• Game Version: V.100.17.18697.0 (477449R)

• Build Number: 477449R?

• Platform: Steam

• Operating System: Windows 11

Issue:

When I create a skirmish Lobby, I default see 1 player less than the player count.
In the loading screen however, I will see 3 players, 1 being a copy of myself.
Finally when I’m trying to play like this with the extra player, I will not be able to age up, the button is missing from the town center.
When I try to force it by pressing the “z” key (shortcut to advance age), I get this:

To resolve this issue, i tried the following:

• Reinstalled it completely (uninstalled from steam, found any left over files in the save file location and deleted them)
  • Deleted save file and config files
  • Verified integrity of steam cache
  • Deleted any mods I had installed which might have started the issue.

Mods I had installed were

• Embellishment and Construction Builder
  • Auto Strange Forest Escape
  • Battle Royale
  • Island Mythodea

Trigger Event:

I installed the mods above after playing 1 campaign mission & 1 skirmish match.
After this I played 1 more match without seeing issues. The next day I tried another skirmish match after starting up my pc and the issues have been there since.

Repro Steps:

follow the steps I described above in the issue description and I have the issue then. no idea how to fully reproduce from a working client.

2 Likes

a small update here. I can Host multiplayer games fine. So That is my workaround for now. Host a multiplayer game with a password and add ai’s as I see fit.

1 Like

Your mods are broken. That’s not a bug on behalf of the game :slight_smile:

I removed all the mods, & reinstalled the game, the game is still broken.

2 Likes

i’ve got this same problem its doing my head in tried everything the same as you

Hay, is your game installed on your C drive ?

same problem here… need help

My friend and I have the same issue with not being able to advance to the next age in skirmish. Neither of us have installed any mods whatsoever.

When we host an online game the issue doesn’t affect us, but in skirmish there is no advance button.

Just encountered this bug. I’ve only been playing skirmish vs ai for the early access week until today when I played an online game with my friend against ai. We played two games, a 2v2 vs ai and then my friend couldn’t connect to the 2nd game so he hosted a 2v2v2 vs ai and I joined him. After our 2 games, I started up a regular offline skirmish by myself and couldn’t spawn in to a regular 2v2 without a clone of myself on the enemy team being added to the lobby lol. I made a 12 player lobby and exited and subsequent games no longer had the clone. Now, every future game I make, I have the same classical age bug. There no ‘age up’ button and when I press z I have the same screen as OP.

I haven’t downloaded any mods or anything. Steps I’ve tried:

• Verify integrity of game files
  • Uninstall and reinstall
  • Check NVIDIA drivers are updated (all up to date)
  • Restart PC

Works in an online game, same as OP. It’s just Skirmish which isn’t working atm.

If you use family sharing and make a new steam account, the game works normally on skirmish with the files you have installed. This makes me think that whatever is causing the bug is being reobtained by the steam cloud every time you reinstall. Is there a way to delete the information stored in the cloud?

1 Like

I think I found a fix! This is what I’ve done so far to get it working on my original account

1. Backup files
  2. Turn off cloud sync
  3. Delete all files in directory and verify game files
  4. Make another steam account and share to it with family sharing
  5. Run AoM Retold on your new account, get into a skirmish, resign and quit
  6. Go to C:/users/your name/games/age of mythology retold and you’ll see two folders above ‘temp’. Each contains information about both steam accounts you’ve used to access retold.
  7. Find the new user account by checking the savegames folder (the new account doesn’t have any autosaves yet so the folder is empty)
  8. Copy all the contents of the new account and replace the other account folder with the new account’s (maybe make a backup first)
  9. Launch the game on your original account (make sure cloud is off) and play a skirmish. The bug is no longer present!

I haven’t tried overwriting the cloud yet but this is a solution that allowed me to play skirmish on my main steam account again.

1 Like

Hi everyone, i encountered the same problem and i solved it :

• Step one : Turn off the steam cloud.
  • Step two : Go to The folder C/Users/“your name”/Games/Age of Mythology Retold.
    Next, go to the folder above the “temp” folder. (This is the folder named mostly with numbers).
  • Go to the “users” folder and just delete the “UserProfile.xml” file.
    Then just restart your game.
    The game will launch like this is your first time.
    This works for me. ^^
3 Likes

Anyone got any idea of how to fix this problem on xbox?

Yes i think i hit LT+X or possibly just LT and the hammer icon “build a structure here .” It then gives a nearby berserk ect a command to build a temple then fixes ui onward. Its a shame took me hours to figure out.

I am also having this issue on my Xbox Series X. I believe I have no mods, and I was able to play offline skirmish matches just fine earlier today. I have deleted and reinstalled the game, but the problem persists. Since an extra CaptainChunk805 kept appearing on my team, I tried selecting Free For All to avoid the bug, but I was still unable to age up, and my name still said Player 1 instead of my name. I was playing an online game with some friends just before this started happening. I got a notification when I joined it that the safety of a file couldn’t be guaranteed by microsoft, but that person said they had no mods installed for that pop up to have been triggered by. Maybe they did, and were just wrong. I have no way to look for any view kind of mods to uninstall on Xbox as far as I’m aware. I do not know what to do if that is the cause of the issue for me.

I just remembered, we also all desynced at the beginning of the match we played before this started. Im not sure if that detail matters. Neither of my friends I played that match with are currently having this issue.