Cav Box is Back but with Explorer and Dopplesoldner

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 100.12.11148.0
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:question: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). Limit to ONE issue per thread.

Here is the problem I’m experiencing…
So I joined this toxic, but unranked FFA game and this Itzhak Shekelbaum cheater used the ol’cavbox trick on my base… I mean its such a simple fix, get rid of the defensive formation button altogether. Literally no one uses that button ever except for when they use this exploit.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:question: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST.

• Less than 25% of the time / matches I play (RARELY)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Select Explorer, preferably upgraded as the second the explorer goes down the exploit is neutralized
  2. use 49 doppelsoldner or samurai or any hand infantry you wish to use.
  3. make all of them go into the defensive formation with the shield.
    4.be like Itzhak Shekelbaum in game described and destroy players’ bases and factories, then when they quit out of frustration, laugh and call them sore losers.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:question: What was supposed to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

Well i would expect to not have a compacted box of siege infantry roll through y base as if it were a Tommynator

:arrow_forward: ACTUAL RESULT

:question: What actually happened (what went wrong) because of the issue you’re reporting?
Psuedo-Tommynator

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a relevant PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif), VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube), DXDIAG FILE (.txt), or CRASH/GAME LOGS (.aoe2record, .txt) below.

2 Likes

the other image

Just shoot explorer. Is it really OP? I can imagine how slow that would be and u can see it a mile away before they reach anything important

Hi @SocalKLC, thank you for the detailed report! I have confirmed the exploit thanks to your Repro Steps & we are tracking this issue internally now.

I am sorry you experienced this exploit first hand as well as the disappointing chat behaviour from a fellow Age of Empires player. Players can be reported in-game from the friends menu under the Last Played tab.

3 Likes

@Breadalus I don’t think this deserves reporting anyone because this “formation abuse” has existed for 15 years and is a very well known strategy, and is generally not considered a cheat. I was even surprised when the cavalry box was fixed.

3 Likes

Agree, but the chat behavior might be actionable.

@Breadalus I would recommend to consider simply changing the units’ formation type to Box instead of SingleBox (in file battle.xml), therefore allowing them to stack in a more realistic way as pictured:

(credits to @mandosrex1 for finding this out)

5 Likes

Well if I look the pircture then there isn’t anything unlogical, thats how square formation should look like in real life.