Chat won't work and jam the game

The option to won’t work for me but only in certain situations

a) when I open a lobby and call it first a name (when openning a lobby without naming it the chat works)
b) about 30-40 min in game the chat stops working

in both situations the attempt to chat causes the game to freez and only by pressing the “Windows” key the game goes on (not the chat option though)

It might be caused by my low Internet speed or perhaps by my internet provider (which is filtered)

But I don’t really know why the problem happens so any advise will be appriciated!

4 Likes

i have same problem, in da game i can type chat just for one time and “enter” then if i press enter, chat screen appears but if i type any key game freez, and i need to use windows key to game continue…

Having the same issue :confused:

Same issue here. Once in game, you can chat once and every time after it freezes until you do windows button or alt+tab out and back in…

I am having the same issue. The moment I try to chat in a lobby or in game, the game freezes. Alt+tab makes the game work, but the chat simply doesn’t work. basically, the chat functions like a weird “pause” button, that freezes the game.

Happened once to me. Fixed after restarting the game.

I have tried many things and still getting this error? I opened a case with MS, but still no word.
Restarting the game didn’t do anything.

In single player mode, I get to use the chat box to enter one cheat code. When I open the chat box again to try to enter additional cheat codes, the box is there but won’t let me type anything and game freezes. Have to minimize game or alt+tab out of game and back and then press F3 to get game back to keep working.

Guess I’m not the only one having this issue but hopefully Microsoft fixes this issue. Game was working fine before but it happened after some kind of windows update, I don’t know what!

Age of empires is a nice game otherwise.

i can’t build a dock , Age of Empires: Definitive Edition ?

You need to give more info.

Just so you know, you cannot build a dock if the water is deep water terrain (darkest blue)

i have facing same issue when typing something on chat game freezes wtf?

same. what a joke.

@mc0134 said:
In single player mode, I get to use the chat box to enter one cheat code. When I open the chat box again to try to enter additional cheat codes, the box is there but won’t let me type anything and game freezes. Have to minimize game or alt+tab out of game and back and then press F3 to get game back to keep working.

Guess I’m not the only one having this issue but hopefully Microsoft fixes this issue. Game was working fine before but it happened after some kind of windows update, I don’t know what!

exact after the upgrade to Windows 10 April 2018

Yes this is a problem I am also experiencing. I don’t have the issue with the extended version just this definitive edition from the Microsoft store.

Even I have the same problem. How to report this to MS?

I have the same problem. And it is after upgrading windows 10 to Spring Creator (April 2018).

@EightSet8871581 said:
Even I have the same problem. How to report this to MS?

Hi @EightSet8871581, Follow the instructions here to report your problem to the AoE:DE team.

1 Like

I have same problem. This problem appeared after updated Windows April 2018

I see this issue already present in feedback hub. Please upvote for those.

The forum does not allow me to put links. So have put the headings below which can be searched in Feedback hub.

“Age of Empires DE chat issue”

“Age of Empires Definitive Edition cannot send chat more than once.”

@mc0134 said:

same issue