Civilization Idea: Melanesians

The Melanesians mainly represent the island of Fiji, which ended up integrated into the Tu’i Tonga Empire, sharing its culture and technology. Regardless, it did have an ancient maritime empire preceding both Tonga and Samoa, ending in the 9th century AD.

However, the civilization represents not just Fiji, but also the Kingdom of Kaimana in Papua New Guinea, interacting with the Majapahit Empire. One of its leaders, Woran, even hosted Gajah Mada in his palace. While the civ design itself is Fijian, three AI names hail from this kingdom, and a scenario revolving around the kingdom would be playable as the Melanesians.

The Melanesians, like the Polynesians and Micronesians, have a regional scout unit, the Tribal Scout, that doesn’t cost gold, but has poor pierce armor in exchange for slightly more melee armor. The trio also has a long-range ship, the Drua, and both of these regional units are arguably the best when used with the Melanesians. We will see why shortly.

The Melanesians have an Oceania architecture set, shared with the Polynesians, Micronesians, and Filipinos. Their Wonder is a Fijian Bure Kalou, a spirit house that also inspired the Oceania Monastery. They are an archer and naval civilization, which is historically accurate, given Fiji’s preference for archery and its capability with shipbuilding. At first glance, they may seem quite similar to the Mayans, being an archer civilization with strong archers, a tanky scout unit, and a good economy, but they are much worse than the Mayans in terms of defenses, and much better in terms of navy.

But enough of the introduction. Let’s get into the civ design.

Civilization Bonuses

• Forage bushes +50% food

This bonus is a reference to the banana plantations that were present on Fiji very early on in its settlement. The reason this is a forage bush bonus and not a farm bonus is because the forage bushes are meant to stand in for banana plants, which could be added in an Oceania expansion.

• Receive +5 food after infantry and archers kill an enemy unit (except siege and ships)

The Fijians had a reputation among European colonists of being savage cannibals. Whether or not this practice is overstated, they were quite infamous for this trait regardless.

• Archer-line units and Tribal Warriors receive +1 pierce armor per age (starting in Feudal Age)

This bonus references not only Fiji’s affinity for archery, but also tapa cloth, a type of barkcloth used all throughout Oceania. The Fijian variant was known as masi, and it was used not only for clothes, but also sails.

• Ships deal 15% more bonus damage

This bonus represents Fiji’s great skill with shipbuilding, and they did use warships in conflicts, not only with each other, but also the Polynesians. The bonus is especially potent with the regional Drua, and this is accurate to real history. Fiji received knowledge of the Drua from the Micronesians, improved it, and then spread it to Polynesia once integrated with the Tu’i Tonga Empire. The ship was so effectively designed, in fact, that it began to replace the Polynesians’ own catamaran quickly, an observation made by Captain Cook. Either way, the Fijians receiving top-tier warships is very historically appropriate given their skill with ship design.

• Team bonus: Houses +100 HP

This is a reference to Fiji primarily having two types of houses: bure, a house only for males, and vale, a more general family home. The bonus can also reference how various Fijian clans, with all male members staying in the same house, were obligated to defend their territory.

Unique Unit 1: Dakai Bowman

• This unit is effectively the Hand Cannoneer replacement for the Melanesians, albeit at the Castle instead of the Archery Range. While it doesn’t possess a bonus against infantry or rams, it does possess a +1 unblockable bonus against buildings. It has a very high attack, at 13 (14 for Elite), but a poor fire rate and accuracy, comparable to the Hand Cannoneer. Thumb Ring is not available to the Melanesians, so its fire rate and accuracy cannot be further improved. It has less range, at 4 instead of 7, but with all upgrades, it has the same range and one more attack.

• Because the Dakai Bowman can only be created at the Castle, it is created much more quickly compared to the Hand Cannoneer, at 20 seconds instead of 34. It is also slightly cheaper, at 40 wood and 45 gold, instead of 45 food and 50 gold. This wood cost makes it easier to justify in the midgame, especially since it is available one age earlier than the Hand Cannoneer.

• The Dakai Bowman has 1 base pierce armor, unlike the Hand Cannoneer, but it lacks 2 pierce armor in the late game because of the missing final armor upgrade, especially since it is not affected by the archer pierce armor bonus. This makes it a glass cannon archer, similar to the Arambai, but not as inaccurate.

• Dakai is the Fijian word for a bow. Fijian barbed arrows were specially designed to cause as much pain as possible over a long period, causing their unfortunate victims to suffer for days or even weeks before succumbing to organ failure. This effect was magnified by coating the tips in poison, increasing the suffering even further. Non-barbed arrows were also set aflame to burn down enemy villages or to siege fortifications, which is why the unit has a slight anti-building bonus. The bows themselves were typically made from mangrove roots or branches.

Unique Unit 2: Bati

• This is a club-wielding infantry unit with poor armor, but higher attack, similar to the Dakai Bowman. It is available at the Barracks and is trained in 23 seconds. It has a mere 1 pierce armor and no melee armor, but has 10 attack, as opposed to the Long Swordsman’s 9 (the Elite version has 11 attack). However, it can receive +2 attack in the Castle Age through a unique tech, as we’ll see later, making it more comparable to a Two-Handed Swordsman in attack.

• The Bati has the same speed as the Karambit Warrior, making up for its poor armor somewhat. It has a bonus against siege weapons, at +5. Although it has poor armor, it takes -5 damage from all siege weapons (-10 for the Elite version). This gives it a distinct anti-siege role, something sorely needed for the Melanesians, since they lack Bombard Cannons and Block Printing and rely heavily on ranged units.

• The Bati were the traditional warriors in Fijian society. There were several classes, but they all acted as bodyguards or soldiers, protecting the chief at all times or the village when under attack. It was their responsibility to ensure the safety and protection of the village infrastructure.

Unique Technologies
Ula Tavatava: Skirmishers deal melee damage instead of pierce; Bati +2 attack

• Cost: 400 wood, 400 gold

• This technology makes skirmishers much more effective by causing them to effectively ignore pierce armor. However, because their attack is so low, any units with even modest melee armor will still be a threat for them. Still, they become much more dangerous to enemy archers because of their low melee armor, in addition to their bonus damage.

• Where this technology helps the most is against rams, providing an effective ranged response against them. Because, again, the Melanesians lack Bombard Cannons, they may struggle to find a ranged counter to enemy rams without this tech.

• The technology also increases the Bati’s attack by 2, increasing their glass cannon nature. As outlined above, because of their low armor, they may die quickly in melee engagements, but with 2 more attack in the Castle Age in addition to the Blacksmith upgrades, they become a serious threat to enemy Long Swordsmen produced to counter the Tribal Warriors. Their greater speed means they can also decide when to engage and when not to, increasing their effectiveness. However, they are still countered by enemy archers.

• The ula tavatava is a type of war club in Fijian culture. It typically has a bulbous end, either spherical or closer to a pineapple or pumpkin shape. In warfare, it was primarily used as a throwing club, but could also be used in melee engagements.

Saisai: Pikemen and Tribal Warriors attack 40% faster

• Cost: 600 food, 300 gold

• This technology makes Melanesian Pikemen much more effective against enemy cavalry, and Tribal Warriors more effective in general. Both have a rather slow attack, Pikemen in particular, so increasing their attack speed by 40% is a tremendous improvement. Like all the other unique units and techs for the Melanesians, this dramatically improves their counter options, as they would otherwise struggle against heavy cavalry due to the Tribal Warrior’s poor armor. While the attack increase is even greater than the Japanese, the lack of Halberdier still makes them outclassed. Regardless, a faster attack means more bonus damage, making up for that tech tree hole somewhat.

• While there are many types of Fijian spears, one that stands out is the saisai, a type of multi-pronged spear. These were heavy spears used mainly by chiefs, and were made more effective by being tipped with the tail spikes of stingrays. There were typically three or four tips bound together.

Tech Tree

Missing Units: Champion, Halberdier, Eagle line, all mounted archers, Hand Cannoneer, all cavalry, Onager, Bombard Cannon, Heavy Demolition Ship, Cannon Galleon.

Missing Techs: Thumb Ring, Parthian Tactics, all Stable techs, Atonement, Heresy, Sanctity, Block Printing, Plate Mail Armor, all cavalry armor, Ring Archer Armor, Fortified Wall, Guard Tower, Bombard Tower, Crop Rotation, Guilds.

4 Likes

I must object, on the grounds that I’m using a very similar bonus for my Jurchen build. This is your notice that I’m calling dibs lol.

I use other people’s ideas all the time, either by accident or design. It’s a free internet.

I think the civ will probably be fine to mediocre against archer civs but kinda terrible against cav civs, mostly because of the extra pierce armor. Most of the stuff looks fine tbh, although I think you could give the UUs a more clear niche

Bon appétit I guess.

2 Likes

I could give the civ Thumb Ring, but then the UU might be too OP. Faster-attacking Pikemen won’t even help against cavalry?

Nice to see some Melanesian representation being proposed for AoE2! I feel Melanesians tend to be underrepresented in pop culture even compared to Polynesians (likely due at least in part to racism since Melanesians are darker-skinned like Indigenous Australians).

1 Like

Maybe, but I think a big part of it is that Melanesian societies just never developed as much as Polynesian societies did. I’m not sure why, but that seems to be the case. They built very, very fast and sturdy ships, but didn’t seem to do much with them other than peacefully settle other islands. And as everyone knows, peacefully settling will rarely get you a noteworthy place in history.

The thing is that the effect of a unique tech comes onto play way too late, specially an imp tech

Hmmm, good point. Is there anything else that can improve their chances against cavalry?

It’s interesting as always but I’d like also if you could suggest a wonder and a campaign (maybe even AI names and architecture for buildings if you have time).

I did actually mention the Wonder in passing, so it makes sense you would miss it.

As for a campaign, that I’m less sure about. The recorded history of Fiji is scant, and the Kingdom of Kaimana was consistently either peaceful or subjugated, so not great material for a campaign.

I do have them written down somewhere, so maybe I’ll add them to the original post. Aside from the three Kaimana rulers, all the other names come from Fijian origin legends.

The buildings are the same as the Polynesians and Micronesians, so aside from the Monastery, there isn’t much uniquely Fijian. But I can still include pictures of what I was thinking.

For anyone who’s interested, here’s a mockup of the Oceania ship sails if I had my way:
oceania aoe2 sails

3 Likes

Ah ok I missed it sorry. It’s not big as other wonders I guess but at least it’s something.
Missing a campaign is kinda unfortunate, I think it’s one the minimum requisite for a civ to be in the game… Not even a battle scenario?
It’s just to prove the civ fits aoe2 since cultures from that area are usually borderline in these terms, like north America and South Africa.

Keep in mind, that’s just a reproduction, and many other bure kalous could be much larger, like in this drawing.

Actually, I had a vague idea for one, which I mentioned at the top:

I’m sure with enough digging, I can find something campaign worthy, even if it’s just a Fijian oral legend. Alternatively, it could center around the Kingdom of Kaimana, though it’d have to be stretched out and majorly expounded on.

1 Like

It’s ok if it’s semi legendary like yodit I think. Like she’s more of a myth than a real person but at least the account of the destruction of Axum seems true.

@TommoChocolate I’m curious what you think of this concept. It’s gone quite a bit under the radar.

Sure, ok. I know nothing about Melanesians, but here goes.

To me, this seems like their most distinctive feature (the skirmisher damage). For that reason, I think I’d actually prefer to see it as a bonus rather than unique tech, although that might make it too hard to counter their skirmishers in Feudal Age. (It’s also technically a downgrade against units with more melee than pierce armour, e.g. Teutonic Knights, Boyars – but you probably wouldn’t want to fight those with skirmishers anyway.)

I think this is fine. It will make their foraging villagers a bit more vulnerable to raids since they’ll stay on berries longer (rather than farms near the Town Centre) – not sure if you’d thought about the trade off. Thematically, to me this feels like it represents a civ that either depended more on naturally available food sources, or made a later transition to farming – a bit like the Tatars sheep bonus – although that doesn’t seem to be what you’re intending.

I think this is fine, but probably not that impactful, and mostly thematic. I’d be wary of including it unless you’re really confident that the Melanesians routinely ate their enemies after killing them.

Functionally fine but thematically weird. Their archers are wearing a paper-like cloth, and this protects them from arrows somehow? I know AoE2 is sometimes screwy like this, but this means a Melanesian archer wearing tapa ends with as much pierce armor as an Italian archer/Genoese crossbowman wearing ring armour and using a pavise.

Not sure about this – a lot of damage dealt by ships is bonus damage, so perhaps this might as well just be a straight up damage boost. Again, thematically, it seems a bit odd to me that their ships deal more damage than those of other civs.

It would be helpful to know what this is. Given that you’ve said the bonus is “especially potent” with them, presumably they deal even more bonus damage to something than regular ships?

Seems like it wouldn’t help much.

In fact, generally, I think these bonuses seem quite weak, except for the ship one. Making balance judgements about hypothetical civs is hard, though, and maybe I’m underestimating the berry bonus.

I would just call the unit Dakai, then. Having a unit called “bow bowman” is weird. (cf. AoE3’s yumi archer.) The unit itself seems fine and I think it fits sensibly into the rest of their tech tree.

Aah, no – another no-thumb-ring archer civ! Those tend not to be to my taste.

Seems fine, again plays a sensible role in the tech tree. It probably should be on the faster side for infantry, given their lack of cavalry and its anti-siege role.

This seems good – maybe a bit bland but I think that’s preferable to it being gimmicky.

This could do with a better name – “tribal” feels quite generic and has a dismissive colonialist quality to it.

Huh. To be honest, I thought it was too strong to be a civ bonus. But if I removed the tech and made it a civ bonus, it could open up room for a Ratu unique tech, referencing both Fiji and the Kingdom of Kaimana (as mentioned in the introduction, currently the only references to the latter are in three AI names and a single scenario), diversifying the representation.

Well, the pros typically wall in the berries anyway, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Well, as I mentioned in the historical justification section, it’s arguably Fiji’s most infamous quality - whether or not it was overstated, it did happen to some extent. So not including it would be a missed opportunity.

It also functions as their midgame eco bonus, so it has a game design reason to exist.

Yeah, I know it’s not the most logical, but Fiji also developed special means to extract barbed arrows from their soldiers, so having archers that take less damage feels appropriate in that way too.

It used to be much stronger, until people on the wiki convinced me to lower it. Fijian ships were top-notch compared to other Oceania societies, so having better ships in-game is appropriate.

The Drua is essentially a cross between a Dromon and a Turtle Ship. It has the anti-building damage and range of the former and single projectile and strength against ships of the latter; however, both are significantly toned down, and it has the similar speed and squishiness of a Galleon to compensate for its strengths elsewhere.

All three Oceania civs have their own flavor of Drua: Polynesian are created faster and have extra HP, Micronesian take less bonus damage, and Melanesian deal more bonus damage (they’re also the only one of the three to have Siege Engineers, so this is even more true).

It was originally half that, so even worse. Keep in mind that Houses only have about 500 HP in the Dark and Feudal Ages, so an extra 100 HP can really help against raids.

It’s a team bonus, so they’re often weak anyway.

True, the name Dakai Bowman doesn’t make much sense, but it has a ring to it and makes it immediately clear what the unit is, whereas just calling it Dakai is vague.

They originally had it, but I figured it helped their tanky archers and Hand Cannoneer-like UU too much (the latter is the main reason I took it away).

Yeah, it has the same speed as the Karambit Warrior, which was the minimum a user on the wiki suggested, but I can probably make it even faster.

To be honest, I’m not too fond of the name myself, but didn’t have any better ideas at the time I came up with the unit. Maybe Pacific Scout - Pacific Warrior - Elite Pacific Warrior would be better.

1 Like

This would need to be implemented as “Forage bushes last 50% longer” (same as Mayans resource bonus), since the forage bushes technically belong to Gaia. In other words, instead of the berry bushes having 50% more food, the villagers would collect 15 food while only removing 10 from the berry bush.

In practice, berries gather slower than farms (as I recall), so it’s main benefit would be in delaying the farm transition (which means it supports early aggression). But it would not be OP, even on maps with lots of berries. Still a great bonus.

I’m not certain how to implement that without changing general skirmishers by adding a base 0 hack attack (which would affect their interaction with rams). I suspect the easiest way would be to give them a “unique” skirmisher-line (that’s basically a copy of the normal skirmisher, with the same displayed name, but with the new melee damage). The unique tech would then be able to upgrade from regular skirms to the new skirm (and same treatment with elite skirms and imp skirms). And then the skirmisher line upgrades would also upgrade this new skirmisher line. Would increase potential for future issues with future changes to skirmishers (if someone forgets or doesn’t know to include the changes to the new unit-lines)

Another question for this UT: does it affect genitours, or is it just skirmishers?