Closing the game during launch can crash your PC

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: Current
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: PlusNomad / twitch.tv/aoe2de on steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

Game crashes your PC if you stop it during launch.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

1. Launch the game via steam (not tested via W store)
  2. Close the game whilst it’s launching, before it reaches the main menu
  3. Viola, you’ve got malware.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

I finally decided to just record what it does as this is a new PC from what it was happening to me with before just to confirm it’s not just a me-issue. I reported it in the beta, I reported it on release, I reported it last month and for the sake of it Ill report it this month. It’s LITERALLY fitting the definition of malware the way it destroys your PC requiring you to reboot just for closing the game. Why is this still not fixed when its such a severe issue that’s been reported many times?

1 Like

yeah, i confirm. Sometimes this happens, only way to kill it is through processexplorer or disconnect your current active session, which is slightly faster than restarting.

As it is a new PC, it is very possible that it is missing the required files to run the game. If you have not already, I’d recommend working through each of the following steps to verify that your PC has everything it needs:

If none of those steps work, please upload a copy of your dxdiag and any crash logs generated as a result of the error.

Thanks for the report; hopefully these steps help you get into the game!

My primary PC I reported this on many times (which I stated) was not new. None of those fixes apply to either PC. This has always happened and it always gets swept under the rug, please don’t suggest “fixes” you know don’t apply from the original post so it doesnt get buried again, it’s literally malware, we need it to be fixed rather than not.

Many times I am playing and my screen freezes, after a short time It disconnect from the game and thus I lose my ELO points. That bug should be fixed urgently because it is very frustrating. Greetings.