Colorblind mode

I have good news for you, I think. I saw this photo in the news 1.5 weeks ago regarding Relic Entertainment unveiling/moving to their new building. Take a look at the presentation slide that’s showing here :slight_smile:

That indicates they’re proactively thinking about color blindness, anyways.

I’m not colorblind, but I’ve always wanted a lot more color choices in AoE then the very small number that are there. There are several forms of color blindness, so I’ve wondered if the limited number of colors and contrasts to choose from has negatively impacted colorblind players.

That’s an interesting point about if someone refers to the “Red enemy”. Maybe there could be a hotkey you could press to signify the color’s name next to the player’s name, or a player number, as you suggest. Then again, does pressing F4 and just viewing/referring to the players by name in the lower-right (e.g., Otto the Great, or Duke of Normandy) make the player number suggestion you have moot, since that player could just be referred to by name?

PS: AoE2:HD (2013) at some point made it so you can’t even change the AI’s colors to whatever you want without tricky maneuvers. For example, in a 2 vs. 2AI match, you now have to make the computer players be players #5 and #8 if you like those colors, instead of #3 and #4. This issue should be fixed, in my opinion. (I’m pretty sure that up until a couple years ago, you could select the enemy player’s colors just by clicking through the colors in the color selector box as you do for human players.)

Thankfully, AoE2:DE lets you more easily change enemy colors, but it’s still a very limited color palette to choose from. As a non-colorblind player, I should at least have access to hundreds, thousands, if not millions of colors to choose from in single player and unranked multiplayer matches between friends; like through the use of a Photoshop color wheel and brightness slider, or something. There are so many neat colors I can think of that I want to see and play with. And if this interferes with the mini-map colors, so be it… but there are ways around it or to mitigate it.

2 Likes