Common Crashes Bug

Hi. I’ve been having a problem with this game since release. 1 in every 5 games it crashes. The game freezes for a second and closes to desktop, no warnings, nothing. I’ve been searching the web for solutions for this problem. Found a few posts in here and reddit with a similar problem, most of them don’t actually provide solutions and some provide solutions that don’t work. So far I’ve reached out to support 3 times, but it always ends up with the support saying they will communicate to devs and that’s it, I never ear back from them.

The warnings.log file always says in the end of the file:

(I) [21:24:00.300] [000004120]: D3DLOG Begin
(I) [21:24:00.300] [000004120]: D3DLOG End
Application crashed.

Nothing useful. Windows event viewer:

Faulting application name: RelicCardinal.exe, version: 5.1.148.0, time stamp: 0x637c2ffa
Faulting module name: RelicCardinal.exe, version: 5.1.148.0, time stamp: 0x637c2ffa
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000078089e

A few other posts refer to this as well, but none has a permanent solution.
Things I’ve tried:

• Post on reddit, aoe4 forum, send tickets to support.
  • reduce game quality, screen resolution, turn off vsync, 60fps and 60hz, screen mode
  • close every background app, clean boot
  • turn off overlays, antivirus and one drive
  • verify files integrity and windows scannow
  • set reliccardinal.exe priority to high, run as admin, restart explorer every time I load the game
  • tried a different internet
  • update all drivers, windows, nvidia
  • delete docs files and reinstall the game
  • reset the pc with clean drive (twice)
  • memtest and windows diagnostics (no errors found)
  • Underclock the gpu
  • Change memory page file
  • other things I might have forgotten after 1 year of trying to solve this.

I didn’t really give up on the game because I love to play it, at least when it’s not crashing and giving me free losses for it, making it impossible to climb on ranked and to make friends in game, since nobody wants to play with someone who might crash every other game.
I’ve exhausted every possibility, I don’t know anything else to do

3 Likes

Well, thanks for the help. I hate that I love this game

Where your PC specs ?
Basic information.
Your OS
Version of the OS
PC specs including
GPU CPU RAM
Tried this " Redirecting "

1 Like

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: B550 AORUS ELITE V2
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Page File: 7214MB used, 12037MB available
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Display Memory: 16184 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8031 MB
Shared Memory: 8153 MB
Monitor Model: DELL P2419H
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported

As I said in the first message, I did try memtest, windows diagnostics and windows scannow (mentioned in the link you posted), so no, it’s not a ram problem

other people complaining about the same problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe4/comments/uqjuhr/hard_crash_midgame/

Just for the sake of it, have you tried to use a different RAM slot ?

I did not, I will try that, but I doubt that will solve that. The annoying thing is this only ever happens in aoe4. I play a few other games and no other has any problems.

Well, I changed the rams to a different slot. same problem, 1st game I try, crash at 23 min.

Hello,… I have probably the same issue as you do:

• I love the game
  • It keeps crashing with no error message “Application crashed” in warnings.log and " exception code 0xc0000005 in windows event viewer
  • It can crash ingame for me, usually I have some weird lags from the start with stuttering, - then I know there is a high probability of crashing
  • Usually it crashes on loading screen
  • I’ve tried soo much troubleshooting already, reinstalling drivers, page file, reinstalling the game. I don’t know what to do.
  • About 1 of 10 games there is a crash with “application error” for me

Something very similar is happening to me… It crashes after gaming for a while, like 1~2 hours of game and it crashes.

1 Like

Yeah same issue off and on since launch making online games less than enjoyable as at any point it can drop leaving your team mates pretty annoyed.

Tried same steps, reset computer multiple times almost tempted to go buy a new one at this point (swapped GPU 980TI and RAM in-between 32GB)

Faulting application name: RelicCardinal_ws.exe, version: 5.1.148.0, time stamp: 0x637c5282
Faulting module name: RelicCardinal_ws.exe, version: 5.1.148.0, time stamp: 0x637c5282
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x000000000049e914
Faulting process ID: 0x0x2F2C

Send help :stuck_out_tongue:

Where do you find the log file? Took a little break and now the game crashes a lot. Seems to do so around the hour mark. First, 20 min game is fine, afterwards, the next game crashes after 30 minutes. No error dialog, just a plain crash to the desktop.

Previously game crashes were rare, perhaps had happened a few times in totals. Now it seems like the rule.

1 Like

Hey, all! Sorry you’re seeing these crashes. I’ll escalate. If you haven’t already, please do contact support with your DxDiag and warnings.log file. Thanks!

1 Like

swapped out my 980TI with a 2060S and have not had the issue re-appear. able to play full games online with no crashes at all, must be something with the card maybe :confused:

|Processor|AMD Ryzen 5 3500X 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz|
|Installed RAM|32.0 GB|

I have the same issue as described above. In season 1 and 2 this never happend.
But since season 3 I have this common crashes in team ranked while playing with friends in a group.
Mostly in the loading screen of a match but sometimes mid game like 30min ish.
I also tried a lot of things to fix this , like reinstalling the game sevreal times, verifying game files in steam, disabling overlay nothing helped.
Today I contacted support directly and provided my DxDiag and warings.log , I hope this will be handle asap, because right now, climbing the ladder is nearly impossible.
I looked in my warning.log and have simmilar records as described by op.
Also my EventViewer show the same errorCode

AppName RelicCardinal.exe 
  AppVersion 5.2.131.0 
  AppTimeStamp 639bda3c 
  ModuleName RelicCardinal.exe 
  ModuleVersion 5.2.131.0 
  ModuleTimeStamp 639bda3c 
  ExceptionCode c0000005 
  FaultingOffset 000000000036b08f 
  ProcessId 0x3fec 
  ProcessCreationTime 0x1d930f7cc5f6be3 
  AppPath C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age of Empires IV\RelicCardinal.exe 
  ModulePath C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age of Empires IV\RelicCardinal.exe 
  IntegratorReportId 1ee2039a-36bb-4480-96b0-427c6de8fa4f 
  PackageFullName  
  PackageRelativeAppId  

I have exactly the same symptoms. I doubt the issue is related to my hardware.

• Team game
  • Not every game: Actually quite rare.
  • It freezes for a sec then go to desktop

has anyone fix it?

It got better for me. Now in team games I rarely crash. In 1x1 I still crash once every 5-10 games, but not as much as before. I can play ranked teams without crashing most of the time.

What I think did the trick was:

• I opened the xbox app (My game is on steam btw)
  • installed a random game from microsoft store.
  • On xbox app a notification appeared on the side menu to install xbox gaming services (or something like that, I don’t remember)

After that it got a whole lot better. I can’t be certain this was the solution, since I did a lot of other things, but try it to see if it works.

thanks. lets try that. I could install it without downloading any game

I have the same problem.
But I am playing through Xbox game pass.
I have a few other games from the Xbox app and I do get app notification things. but my problem persists.

So frustrating, I even send a ticket to AOE4 support. 4 days passed, no reply.

This Issue is now over 3 Months old and bug report still didnt manage to respond, what type of support is that…
So sad to see that devs or support dont even care about people having game breaking bugs and issue with this common crashes. No other game does that on my machine and it is so frustating losing points in ranked because of this stupid crashes. :rage:
Common relic, this shouldnt be ignored!

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue. Crashes once in three or five ranked games.