Comp-Stomp-Extravaganza (new event)

More challenging yeah. Then casual players like me would have a harder time trying to get it.
Still remember mongol event where there was a requirement to kill SO using mangudai. I played like 20 matches against various AI opponent with good siege civs but they just did not bother to use SO.

That challenge was just oddly specific, not challenging. It was the most difficult one for that reason though. I just set resources to infinite, start on post imperial, map all visible, and turbo mode vs Extreme AI celts (which is a known siege AI civ that spams 90% siege units), built 3 castles at the start with 3 vils and made a few mangudai to snipe 1 SO while they destroyed my castles, or you could make it 4v3/4 so they don’t destroy your base immediately. AI makes mangonels/onagers depending on your units to counter them. If you make nothing but knights they will never make one. Every time I make scorpions they make huge numbers of mangonels even though I have an equal number of knights.

Not only that, they make trash units despite infinite resources. I just won a fight as Persian against saracens on an open map. I built nothing but archers, paladins and elephants, plus some BBC for siege and snipe castles. After 40min back and forth I eventually overpower mass Mameluke and such and win. Enemy tries to build all sorts of counter units, from pikes to skirmishers to camels to Mamelukes to SO, but they don’t work well against mass elephants and paladins, both of which have decent pierce and melee armor while being tanky and difficult to kill. Yes, elephants can be converted. But I just spam 15 more. No big deal, plus I have paladins and trashbow which are somewhat mobile and deal lots of damage.

I think the core part is the achievement does not specify settings. So one rally can play around that and get an easier combo to finish.

I was in the 3.4% before the event :-/ but I still play easier AI sometimes just to warm up and test out civs in a stress free environment. Back when the original aoe2 was out, I would 1v1-1v3 hard AI to practice. Didn’t care for the hardest AI because it cheated (boosted resources) but I did successfully 1v2 a hardest AI team back in the day.

The only thing I hate about these dumb events is the “cooldown” between these things. I havent been on and just realized they had a vs AI challenge so naturally I wanna get in on it cuz I love beating bots down for fun. But
I beat moderate this morning, and I had to wait 16 freakin hours to play hard? With only 1 day left in the event, by the time I do that (IF I decide to get on at 2:30am just to play vs hard ai) I doubt I’ll get my rematch in with the extreme AI in time. SO dumb. Challenges are challenges to be challenging, events are supposed to be rewards for playing. But not letting people reap rewards for challenges they can do serves little purpose other than to make people get on, play one game a day, then get back off again. I would think the “get on and play for hours at a time” mindset would be what they wanted people to get into for AOE.

This is so true. I’ve actually had a fair amount of fun lately playing 4v4 50+ minute treaty with Hardest AI. I’m an old school AoC player and the AI was always trivial to beat in that game, so this is nice that it’s really tough to win once we all boom without interference.

That being said, AI teammates are extremely frustrating because they often just don’t help and won’t always listen to commands. I’ve given up trying to get them to attack on location of flare because they never, ever do it.

Just pick Nomad as map, set to all visible, speed to fast, kill villagers before they can build the town center for the rewards.

1 Like

Everytime it is possible to cheese the achievement for rewards in some way or another.
For this event the cheese was Nomad on all visible and just vill fight before the TC goes up.

You could even add picking Berbers as civ, for even faster moving vills.
Or pick Spanish so you will get the steam achievement ‘Supremely Unexpected’ as well.

Any player in the world can beat the extreme AI. Do what I did

Do a 7v1 all visible deathmatch against the extreme AI when you have 6 AI on your team. you will win in under 5 minutes even if you stay idle

2 Likes

got up to 3.9 after the event :joy:
So we can say, that at least 0.5% of the playerbase really care for events. Thats way more than I expected (migth be even more, since we can not track the 3.4% who already had the achievement before the event)

Can’t beat that :joy: