Completed Project Showcase: AG3 Ancient Empires, an AoE2 to AoE1 overhaul mod

Arameans and Nabateans are blanketed by Palmyrans. I did not look over this

I’ve tested the mod, and I think buildings look quite big for their layer and units too small. What I do, is using the X2 textures and resize them as 80% or 75% for buildings, and 60% for units. Then, the assets will blend better with AOE2

1 Like

Yeah, I had a lot of difficulty working with the new graphics formats :confused: I’m very used to SLP.
I did try to resize buildings to fit closer to AoE2 building size (the egyptian stable is all that remains of this) but I guess I didn’t know how to do it properly because they always came out awkward - and the destruction animations did not look right at all

There is an issue where the units and buildings look actually tiny if you have enhanced graphics on, though. All that can be done about that is to disable UHD.
Do you have a discord? We could work together on this, because I’m fairly inexperienced with modding the smx graphics.

Hi! It’d be great if we could share efforts. I’ve created a slack group to discuss modding.

This is wrong gauls and iberians are celts goths are germanic.You should ideally have a blanket celts and germanic factions.

Gauls = celts and picts are celts. I’m saying that Gauls blanket Germans because their modes of warfare was very comparable and they were geographically close (gaul was just on the other side of the river from germania magna) since they both relied heavily on infantry swarming and ambushing against the romans who they knew were better at single combat. In fact, on the voobly release of this mod Germans play almost identically to Gauls because theyre both infantry civilizations with decent cavalry

1 Like

Julius ceaser used germanic mercenary cavalry in the gallic campaign.So the germans would be having much better cavalry than romans and celtic gauls.

Germanic cavalry was still staffed with the same horses the Celtic Gauls used, though. The only difference was that caesar viewed the gauls as more barbarian than the celts and therefore were more battle ready. Not to mention, he had a particular interest in stressing that he didn’t use gallic help in the gaul campaign when this wasn’t entirely true, and even lists false differences between the gauls and germans (like saying that the germans had no gods and worshipped elements - Tacitus’s later account sees this as false.)

I’ve already stressed though, that the reason there isn’t a Germanian faction is because of the civ quota limitations. They already exist in the anthology of this mod, but I couldn’t justify adding them here.

CAMPAIGNS

The first campaign to be worked on, Voices of Babylon has been completed

https://www.ageofempires.com/mods/details/16666

I’ve additionally recorded walkthrough videos for most of the missions to help anyone struggling with them

For the most part it’s a port of classic AOE1’s campaign with a few definitive-edition flare. The only map to be completely redesigned was the final mission, which still has the same premise.
Remember to have AG3 ui enabled, and data set selected when playing the campaign missions. If there are any issues installing I overlooked please let me know ASAP

Every mission comes with it’s own programmed enemy AI, so if you decide to play the scenarios individually (as opposed to playing through the custom campaign), be sure to select them, they are labeled for ease.

I intend on porting the majority of the original AoE campaigns. Suggestions for the next campaign to be covered are welcome

Flavor screenshot

1 Like

Will definitely try the mod out. It seems that a lot of work went into it. Impressive to say the least :smiley:

2 Likes

Where?

20 characters

They’ll be uploaded over the coming week as it takes me a long time to upload videos
The AIs are labeled by mission number and player number

2 Likes

Thanks for thinking of Mesoamerica, Teotihuacán, Olmecas and Zapotecas? I never thought I’d see them in a mod, I’ll definitely play it!

1 Like

Hey, it is a great mod! Will you change the skin of the Galleon in the future as well, since you have the trireme skin for the cannon galleon already?

1 Like

I noticed both this and 5th Legacy left out Huns, is it because of the theory that the Huns and the Xiongnu were one and the same?