I don’t necessarily have a very clear historical background to the designs, but want to emphasize their civilizational identity and possible strategies. It might be a little unbalanced, but hopefully it will inspire community creativity.
Edited: Some modifications were made as suggested.
Caucasus aggressive civilization
Mainly based on Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia. The Crusaders employed Armenian siege engineers throughout their campaigns, so I want them to be aggressive, like a sharp blade for the Crusaders, to help them take Muslim bases. They will be good at Man-at-arms rush at early Feudal age, and at Pikeman-monk-siege rush at Castle age, and also be decent at Imperial age.
- Monasteries can fast heal nearby units one by one. (Inspired by @Apocalypso4826.)
- Free infantry armor upgrades.
- Monks regain faith 25% faster.
- Siege weapons (include Trebuchets) and Petards train 66% faster.
Team Bonus: Mounted units can be garrisoned in TCs, Towers, Rams and Siege Towers.
Wonders: Etchmiadzin Cathedral
UU: Maceman (50F 40G)
Ram-like Melee infantry, good at siege, with trample damage and high armor, but slightly slower movement.
The maces are the most important traditional weapon of the Armenians. However, the armor breaking feature already exists, and I’m trying to give them a new one.
- HP: 50 → 65
- Attack: 10 → 12, +8 vs Eagles, +32 → +50 vs Buildings, +20 → +30 vs Siege weapons
- Rate of Fire: 2.03
- Armor: 4/3 → 8/4
- Speed: 0.85
- LoS: 4
- Upgrade cost: 800F 700G, 35 seconds
Castle UT: “Ayrudzi” (400F 400G)
Knights, Cavaliers and Paladins +1 attack vs cavalry and +8 attack vs camel units.
Armenian heavy cavalry will be more survivable against pagan cavalry and especially camels.
Imperial UT: ''Havedic Machines" (800F 450G)
The cost of Siege Towers and Rams are changed to just 200 wood; Scorpions have the ballistic effect.
Havedic was an Armenian siege engineer who designed the machines used to attack Tyre in 1124.
- Economy: no Two-Man Saw and Guilds.
- Blacksmith: no Bracer.
- Castle: no Hoardings.
- Barrack: full.
- Stable: No Heavy Camel and Lancer line.
- Archery Range: full.
- Siege workshop: no Siege Ram.
- Monastery: no Illumination.
- University: no Keep, Bombard Tower and Architecture.
- Dock: no Cannon Galleon line and Shipwright.
Caucasus defensive civilization
Refer to the design in CIV6. Georgians had resisted numerous attacks by Muslims. Take advantage of your defenses in the early game and use the powerful units to fight back in the late game, or actively use your towers and castles to control the map.
- TCs have the ballistic effect when firing arrows.
- Fortifications are built 33% faster, Or Watch Tower line fire 33% faster. (I’m not sure.)
- Buildings absorb 50% of all incoming bonus damage.
- Free Fortified Wall upgrade.
- Techs (excluding advancing ages, castle techs and monastery techs) cost -50% gold.
Team bonus: Outposts, Houses, Palisade Walls and Stone Walls +3 LoS.
Wonders: Svetitskhoveli Cathedral or Gelati Monastery
UU: Khevsur or Monaspa (70F 30G)
Swordsman who does +100% damage when attacking from higher elevations, and ignores the +25% damage when being attacked at lower elevations. When they are not in combat, enemy buildings and units need to be within 4 tiles to reveal them.
The warriors from Georgia’s Khevsureti territory maintained their traditions for countless generations. These fierce Georgians dressed in chainmail and carried swords, axes, and small, black bucklers adorned with crosses for nighttime raids—due to the shield’s color, the warriors were practically invisible in the moonlight.
- HP: 70 → 85
- Attack: 8 → 10, +5 vs Eagles, +5 vs Siege weapons, +5 to Buildings
- Rate of Fire: 2.03
- Armor: 1/1 → 2/2
- Speed: 1.15
- LoS: 6
- Upgrade cost: 900F 400G, 35 seconds
Castle UT: “Tsikhe” (200G 200S)
TCs, Castles and Wonders +20% HP; Towers and Castles’ main projectile become a scorpion bolt (and have Scorpion-like effect); Militia line, Spearman line, Archer line and Skirmisher line can be trained at Towers (but still only Villagers can build Towers).
Imperial UT: “Sword of the Messiah” (800F 600G)
Khevsurs, Militia line, and Knight line have +15 HP.
“King of Kings, David, son of George, Sword of the Messiah.”
I love what this king had accomplished, and it might be a good campaign theme.
- Economy: no Gold Shaft Mining and Guilds.
- Blacksmith: full.
- Castle: no Sappers.
- Barrack: full.
- Stable: No Heavy Camel and lancers.
- Archery Range: no Thumb Ring.
- Siege workshop: no Siege Onager and Bombard Cannon.
- Monastery: no Block Printing and Theocracy.
- University: no Siege Engineers and Bombard Tower.
- Dock: no Cannon Galleon line, Fast Fire Ship and Dry Dock.