"Content" update scam

Just call it a “minor bug fix”. No need to insult me and waste my time with checking “content updates”.

Or are you saying that bugs are a feature in this game and that “bug balance changes” are “content”? …

I agree the current naming scheme of “content update” is wierd for all AoE:DE app updates, regardless if any new features are added to the game.

I don’t think it is meant by any means to insult you. This is just a general term for publishing updated UWP packages to the Microsoft Store. If the content of a UWP package changes it will reflect to a new app version number too, so that’s why they call it a content update of the app AOE DE.

It is a bit weird seeing it being advertised on Facebook as a content update when it’s a relatively minor technical fix.

@PCS70 said:
I don’t think it is meant by any means to insult you. This is just a general term for

You can call it what you will. In any other area the terms for this are “false advertisement”, “fraud”, “misrepresentation” and such.

You can try to sell an old car as “new car for xy$!” and see what happens when you try to explain that ‘it’s just a general term for old cars in our company’.

Fix bugs is part of content update, they don’t said new content.

Yup been trolled 3 times now. Don’t get me excited for new features and then pound that excitement into the ground with bug fixes. Sure they are welcome but just call it a patch and stop fooling people.

And new content update is here people, it REMOVED a ‘potential crash’ after ‘starting a game’.

Meaning, the game is losing content.

But hey, technically speaking it’s still a content update.

@JosephC64 said:
And new content update is here people, it REMOVED a ‘potential crash’ after ‘starting a game’.

Meaning, the game is losing content.

But hey, technically speaking it’s still a content update.

Are you not content they fix bugs? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I think it is technically correct - they are updating/changing the content to fix bugs and crashes. However, it is typically better to differentiate content updates of this kind and advertise them as “hotfixes” or something to not get people overly hyped up about a patch that potentially doesn’t affect them whatsoever.

@Eaglemut said:
Well, I think it is technically correct - they are updating/changing the content to fix bugs and crashes.

I agree that a bug fix can technically be considered “content update”.

You can also, technically speaking, use the term “kinetic military action” to describe a war and a serious violation of international law.

But it’s also obvious that people who use shady terminology do shady business. If we had a single actual content update then they wouldn’t need to present bug fixes as content update.

Now, I understand the team behind the game has certain limitations, whether of ability, time, resources. That’s understandable. But just save us time and call it a bug fix.

no words from developers.

they abondened this lovely game and probably working on aoe2:de already.

let me tell you this: i wont be pre-purchasing any more. customer trust is an important thing and once you lose it, its hard to regain it. microsoft lost mine with aoe:de. this is probably my last comment on this site.

my advice: move on people, there are a lot of good games out there and usually devs dont abonden them. some examples: total war arena, heroes of the storm… both games are good and both gets ACCTUAL CONTENT on regular basis.

Why copy paste the same message on two different threads? You do realise that it will be read in one, and that posting it multiple times doesn’t really increase your effectiveness :slight_smile: Except in creating an irritation. Open up a thread for new content, but it’s the same message I just read in the last thread!

@“Cleglaw the mad” said:
heroes of the storm… both games are good and both gets ACCTUAL CONTENT on regular basis.

Heroes of the Storm is awful. Other players can ban you from the game for no reason whatsoever, they only need to click on you and then ‘report’. You can appeal but that won’t work unless you’ve been silent the entire time and never used chat, which is silly in an online game. It’s a game designed for extreme leftists, the so called snowflakes, and if you’re not 100% politically correct you can’t play it. As for the gameplay itself, the game is the opposite of “empowering”. You can do so little on your own, especially with most heroes. I never played a multiplayer game where my impact was lower.

It’s sad the game has been out for a couple of months and there has yet to be a single feature added other than some bug fixes. The most frustrating thing is the developers seem to have “disappeared” from the forums the instant the game released so we have no idea what is happening.

Apparently they don’t have enough resources/people (according to Matt Pritchard), and my guess is they are too much focused on other projects (AoE2 DE). This was already pretty much evident in the beta, however I was quietly hoping for a miracle - even with the delayed release - only MP was adressed.

And indeed, after the first week or so I haven’t seen a single dev posting here, which is a bloody shame (hello?). The game isn’t bad by any means (I love many aspects of it!), but it should be updated with actual content and much needed features, mentioned by dozens of people, asap.

That said, I won’t consider pre-purchasing any future DE iterations anymore.

sad state of affairs

@“PhatFish AoEH” said:
Apparently they don’t have enough resources/people

And indeed, after the first week or so I haven’t seen a single dev posting here, which is a bloody shame (hello?).

Not enough food.
You need to build more houses.

Exploration : 15%

They will research Bronze Age soon, then they will want gold, and will go mining for it! ;). :wink:

They made a move on fixing units block but only with villagers, wtf???

While the wording is certainly funky, I do think everyone needs to take a breath. I don’t mean this as an attack on anyone personally, but really, since when has a link to patch notes been critical and criminal act of “wasting our time” ? Okay, so the notes don’t have news on a new civ or whatever. Big deal… As for it being false advertisement, well… those updates are not exactly promotions for the product as a whole. They are updates, specifically for people that already have the product. There’s no promotion for you to buy a new expansion via a post that lies about what will be included, there’s no push for you to buy DLC…It’s a simple post in the news feed.

Again, I agree that the wording is a bit dubious, but it seriously is not the single most sinister act Forgotten Empires or Microsoft could ever possibly have done. Take a breath.

As for further developments; the slow speed and glacial pace of any serious updates, I will agree, is a bit off. However, my guess is that AOE DE was never intended to be a flagship product. I mean, they announced it as a celebration of AOE 1, which it was. I always assumed they weren’t expecting it to be more than a curiosity, and are likely to focus more time and attention on AOE 2 DE (since AOE 2 is a game that is still played by way more people). Not saying this to excuse what’s going on, just an observation/ guess. Heck, most people on the boards here seem to have agreed about the unlikelihood of any actual “content additions” anyhow (which begs the question as to why everyone is so mad at it’s absence beyond the odd choice of words).