Cost Philosophy for New Civilizations-PUP

The idea is to facilitate the learning curve by facilitating the retention and calculation of units and technologies, let’s start with what they have done well so far

what they have done well

1) The costs of units and technologies are multiples of 10 and 5, which facilitates the calculation since multiplying by 10 and 5 is relatively easy
imagen

2) Most units and technologies require two resources, if any require three resources make two of the resources cost the same, that makes memorization easier

imagen
imagen

3) 3) The total costs are similar or are multiples, for example the total cost of the manual artilleryman is the same total cost of the royal knight (240), the total cost of the crossbowman is the same total cost of the horseman (120), a particular case with a unique unit the total cost of the Fire lancer is equal to the total cost of two archers or two spearmen (160, that makes it easier to memorize the cost of unique units)

imagen

imagen

4) Several technologies of the same age have the same costs, for example I found, several technologies of the age of castles, unique or not all of them cost 100 wood 250 gold

What needs to be improved

a) Equalize unit costs as in the case of the longbowman, it costs more food than the normal archer because it has more range, but if you make it cost the same as an archer, 30 food 50 wood could balance it with life and time of production

as mentioned the cost of a unique unit must be equipped to another, if it cannot, make the unique unit cost the total cost of two units, for example the cost of the streltsy, if you make it cost 100 food 100 gold, that would be equivalent at the total cost of a spearman and an archer 120+80 =200, to compensate change other variables such as damage, attack speed or life, if it is a prime number or it does not matter, they are not learned

It is not relevant that the life of units is a multiple of 10 or 5, as in the long archer example, if it cost the same as a normal archer it would not matter if its life decreases from 70 to 69 or 68, nobody learns the hp of units, rather variables such as hp, production time, attack speed can technically modify them because nobody learns them, change that so that the cost of the unit is easy to remember trying to find units of the same category cost the same

**b)**the technologies that require three resources, you modify two of their resources so that they cost the same, that facilitates memorization as already mentioned
imagen

c) make both resources end in 0 or end in 5, that facilitates memorization, imagine that one technology costs 150 food 225 wood and that another technology costs 155 food 220 wood, that makes memorization difficult, I give an example of two technologies, one French technology that resources end in 5 and a Russian technology that food does not end in 5 so I add 5 to food and compensate with three seconds less

imagen

Conclusion
If the rate will be two civilizations each year, I hope you take my observations into consideration, to facilitate the learning of various civilizations

In short, make both costs end in 0 or 5, that units of the same category cost the same or the multiple of a unit or the sum of two units, that as much as possible the technologies of the same era cost the same resources , if a unit requires three resources make two resources cost the same

1 Like

While I agree that numbers ending in 5 for costs is perhaps irritating when trying to calculate things, I think a lot of these changes would really need a very fine amount of tuning. I disagree with changing unit costs and I’ll explain why below, but I could see an argument for upgrade costs being rounded either up or down from 5 to help simplify things, however; for civilizations like the mongols~ a change in stone cost either increased or decreased could really skew their intended balance / timings. Oovoo stone generation is at a fixed rate and because of this changing any stone costs would be troublesome.

As for unique units, that’s part of the point. They’re unique. Their costs are allowed to differ from their counterparts. There is also the fact that each civ has different eco bonuses. The reason English can pay a higher food cost for a stronger archer is because they have cheaper farms that also gather faster. They naturally want to gather a lot of wood to promote farming, so longbows are an ideal unit for such an economy. Not to mention they get an active ability late game to increase their attack speed as well as their palings early game.

All in all I understand the desire for simplicity, but I think trying to tackle changing all of these costs and times of production would be a huge undertaking that would lead to balance issues. If you can spend all this time writing out a fix for this problem you probably could have made yourself flash cards to remember all the upgrade costs.

Apparently I’m not good enough at math for this game.

1 Like

It is true, now I remember that the stone is the sum of the other two resources, so that detail would help to know the cost of the stone, I retract there

I agree that making changes now would affect the balance, that’s why in the title I mentioned for new civilizations

1 Like

I agree with that - with the new civs coming it could definitely be done.

2 Likes

edit
b) the technologies that require three resources, you modify two of their resources so that they cost the same, that facilitates memorization as already mentioned
imagen

I already corrected the stone cost of the mongol and I don’t plan to change the cost of the long archer, but I think that these changes in technologies will not affect the “meta” since it decreases 5 in resources and is compensated over time, in favor of having costs easy to learn
imagen

1 Like

They both have 160 total resources, very good!
imagen
imagen

same cost of the crossbowman, very good!
imagen

240 in total resources, similar to the manual gunner, very good!
imagen

90 total cost similar to Longbowman
imagen

the only with different total costs

imagen

1 Like

the new unit has the same total cost of the streltsi, so I’ll learn it

sofa

imagen

Hulk’s cost is a harbinger of something will make the learning curve of the game harder, compare the costs of Zhuge Nu and Fire lancer, they have three resources in their costs, but two of their resources cost the same, making it easier to learn

The rts genre is not very popular, don’t make it more difficult to learn, I don’t want to see new cicilizations with costs similar to the Hulk in the future

How do we improve it? You have other variables that you can change such as the production time, the unit’s hp and the attack speed, so that you can establish some easy costs to remember, make two of your resources cost the same in their last two figures, therefore Change Hulk’s food to 130 or change his gold cost to 20

Average players are practically the entire community without them the game dies, there will be few like you who like the RTS genre because if

1 Like

bro dont get me wrong its nice thinking but most of the time people dont look or think the cost of the unit they just click it if you dont have the resources then click it later :smiley: for example i do know horseman and man at arms costs more food so i go collect lots of food if im gonna make archers i know i need wood i go collect it so i dont think too much about the what they cost but its nice thinking to make thinks easier :clap:

Thanks, some tools make it easier for us to play better, I think all Abbasid players, from medium Elo upwards, take into account the fresh food reserve in their build order to stop mining gold, gradually learn the cost of units is better to go up In terms of rank, I make a parenthesis since I am interested in playing from platinum forward because in the low ranks the English pick rate is very high and I want to play against a variety of civilizations and that is in the high ranks.

An example is knowing that 5 villagers in gold are needed to produce heavy cavalry, so if you see that your French rival has less than 5, you already deduce that you will not need to produce lancers beforehand, another example that some know that if you see only 4 villagers in food (5 the French) can only procure aldenos constantly. Those tools are very useful if you might be interested in winning in community tournaments.

1 Like

change cost from 75 food to 80 food, and make up for 1 second less to produce it
imagen