Could there be Age of Mythology 2 after AoE4? Microsoft is apparently planning to take care of their Age of Mythology games series

Their last game is C&C Remastered and that’s pretty decent.
They did produce quite a lot games on very low budget.

And the reason their games are bad, is very clear. Like in case of DoW3, Publishers kind of demand to make an “accessible game”, that leads to lame games.

Year Title Platform(s) Publisher(s)
2006 Star Wars: Empire at War macOS, Microsoft Windows LucasArts
2007 Universe at War: Earth Assault Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360 Sega
2009 Panzer General: Allied Assault Xbox 360 Ubisoft
2010 Guardians of Graxia Microsoft Windows Petroglyph Games
2011 Mytheon Microsoft Windows UTV True Games
2012 Battle for Graxia Microsoft Windows Petroglyph Games
2013 Coin a Phrase iOS Petroglyph Games
2015 Grey Goo Microsoft Windows Grey Box
2015 Victory Command Microsoft Windows PlayGrid Games
2015 Battle Battalions Microsoft Windows Petroglyph Games
2016 8-Bit Armies Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One Petroglyph Games, Soedesco
2016 8-Bit Hordes Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One Petroglyph Games, Soedesco
2016 8-Bit Invaders! Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One Petroglyph Games, Soedesco
2017 8-Bit Armies: Arena Microsoft Windows Petroglyph Games
2018 Forged Battalion Microsoft Windows Team17
2019 Conan Unconquered Microsoft Windows Funcom
2020 Command & Conquer Remastered Collection Microsoft Windows Electronic Arts
2020 Earthbreakers Microsoft Windows Petroglyph Games

But look what is happening by RTS genre, no big team tried to make a deep and complex game.
I don’t think that’s an “Publisher” issue, as they all kind of demand same games.

Even Slitherine Software who publish neat turn based Strategy Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War, Battlestar Galactica Deadlock, or Fantasy General II, completely fail by RTS like Empires Apart.

Managing slowly badly balanced gameplay of handful of buildings and units is lame, is over evident feedback of last decade with no developer to actually try something different.

1 Like

Actually MS investing PC gaming.aoe4 is a pc game.gears tactics released on pc.they will port game to xbox after a few months.ms flight simulator will release first on pc.

1 Like

While a lot of money is put into project, doesn’t mean it results in great game, even by simple concepts like Fallout 76, Anthem, Crucible and many more AAA budget projects didn’t meet peoples expectations.

True. Even newer games like Iron Harvest (in my recent memory) are playing safe. They are rolling with tried and tested formula. No body is taking risks. But then risk have to be taken within the RTS boundary. We all know what happened to DoW 3 (granted DoW 2 also was a bit dull, I admire the changes in that over DoW 3).
RTS making is tough to be honest. It’s a passion projects which only big budgeted companies should get into.And only in irregular manner. Like releasing or making a game every decade or so.

That’s correct. Sorry I meant, like PC centric only. They are making PC first games but those companies did make cross platform games for Microsoft. Like Aosobo (FS20 people) made console games too. And same story with Splash Damage (Gears tactics) also made console games.

Investing in PC games (like porting some of their exclusive games to the PC) vs having a dedicated studio that only makes PC games are two different thing. That’s what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

And then RTS making company, that alone is risky and money losing endeavour, that could be a no-no for Microsoft for financial point of view. I don’t blame them. I will re-iterate what I said before: “RTS games are like passion projects which only big budgeted companies should get into. And only in irregular manner.” Otherwise Ensemble Studios like fate is for sure to be happened.

1 Like

It actually looks rather to me like nobody has anymore an idea what an Base build RTS is. This modern games are merely handful of units vs handful of units go to the frontline. They are rolling out with very lame formulas. Where you don’t have much tools to manipulate the game.

Why don’t we have anymore such nice big bases with free base build?

Base build offers a massive versatility how a game is played. It can be so many from Zerg Rush, till massive Industrial back up to rise one large army after another.

You won’t see something like this in modern day RTS:

3 Likes

Hey Huge5000RTSFan what game is the last image from with the fortifications and snow?

Amazing! I want to play this game.

The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II

Beautiful! Very inspiring. RTS games of today are not like this at all :frowning:

You heard of Edge of Chaos upcoming RTS fantasy game? I have high hopes.

Hope AOM 2 is able to produce fortifications like this.

Definitely true dude. LOTR (was Above average to be honest) and C&C are good games here.

Why does every RTS match have to be short and action-packed? The slow pace and grander scope of titles like Empire Earth made a great RTS experience too. It might not have been the most competitive RTS which for me isn’t the reason I enjoy RTS games but you had really the feeling that you led your culture from the Stone Age to Futuristic Killer Robots.

Empire Earth IV should really be a thing. I miss this franchise so much :sob:

Polynesian mythology is rich and interesting and definitely could deserve a spot in the game too. They’re often the last world region which gets represented in RTS games if at all. Africa seems always more to be the “decor” in games than actually protagonists. That’s why I love “The African Kingdoms” and “The Art of Supremacy” expansion for Empire Earth II.

I absolutey adored the Empire Earth franchise which was a great hybrid between Civilization and Age of Empires. Sadly, the last installment killed any possibility for a sequel sadly. Similar thing happened to Dawn of War too.

1 Like

Well,it isn’t a microsoft ip.it is an Activision ip(or Vivendi,who owns Activision and Blizzard)

And prob Activision isn’t interested in rts genre
Also vivendi doesn’t want it,because vivendi already has blizzard,so vivendi has starcraft and warcraft ip.so no chance for ee4 imo.

Not exactly.Warhammer is still a very popular IP.and very important for SEGA.prob sega will want a new DoW game after AoE4.i guess DoW 1 Remake.

Im just comparing
AoE2-RA2
vs.
Bannermen-8BitArmies

2006 Company of Heroes USA vs 2017 Dawn of War 3 Space Marines.

USA have 6 Buildings, 7 defenses, all together 13
Marines have just 5

https://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=361569

Well not only modern day RTS lack base build, they do even lack explanations how the strategy works.
Modern games like Dawn of War 3, Act of Aggression, Forged Battalion or Halo Wars 2 completely forget to explain unit counters.

Compare explanations form older games each has clear explanation in game or manual.
Star Wars: Empire at War
http://eaw.heavengames.com/units/
Starcraft II
http://vaughnroyko.com/sciicounters/
The Battle for Middle-earth

So even if you have no idea, you can check by Imperial Star Destroyer
Strong Against
Corellian Corvette, Corellian Gunship, Nebulon-B Frigate
Weak Against
Y-wing, Mon Calamari Cruiser
http://eaw.heavengames.com/units/?a=Star_Destroyer

Let’s compare it to Terminator from Act of Aggression, there is simply zero clue how you are supposed to take it down.

The gameplay experience from new games was quite awful, I mean you play a game and encounter units where you have no idea how to deal with them. By old ones you just check in game description, manual and its clear very fast ok, that’s an AT-AT Walker, I need Plex Missile Soldier.

In modern game you encounter combination of upgraded M1A2 Abrams that are instant healed by Hercules, Act of Aggression provides zero explanation what they intended.

Result is quite clear, while in Empire at War you see people combine and try out different combination of units, in Act of Aggression you merely see people use from 3 factions, 60 units, only 1 faction with combination of those 2 units Abrams/Hercules.

You can very good see how popular this lazy “modern day” approach is.
Even today over 2000 people play Empire at War, while DoW3, FB and AoA come together to max 300.

Its actually no wonder why modern day RTS have failed,
but somehow their publishers and developer don’t figure it out.

2 Likes

Maybe one day Microsoft might purchase the Empire Earth IP if there’s some kind of RTS revival.

Why not simply make AoE5 with additional ages or Rise of Nations 2?

2 Likes

i don’t want aoe5 from ancient era to modern times.but RoN2 makes more sense.

1 Like

Gameplay has to fit the setting.

I actually wonder if it really does make sense to make there an historical RTS for Napoleon till WW1.

I mean lets take a look at upcoming Iron Harvest, did hear there will be open beta this weekend.
So while they take big freedom with the design in alternative WW1 setting, it still isn’t enough to deliver truly great game, as it all comes down how basics have to work.

The Strategy by CoH comes from its “cover system” and versatile unit upgrades, this video quite good explains what happens if it’s missing. Its clear cover system is not= cover system if its simplified.

Same is with our older games. Their Strategy did come from “Base Build” and it was extremely simplified and streamlined over the years. Sure devs had some ideas for units, but without its base build backbone it always did most of the times crumble.

So looking forward to AoE4 and AoM2, I really would like to see them put focus on base build.

So on first look it seems ok, but in actual AoE gameplay,
you would have at least 3 till 4 times bigger base.
Especially you do build 3 till 5 same production buildings, of each type.

I understand sales want sell copies and casuals do complain to be bad at games, but if it’s nerved into oblivion, you simply have no game to sell and play. Something like we have seen with DoW3 and just 5 buildings is a no-go for base build RTS. How they could advertise it as such is beyond me.

It was for like 5 years in development, Sure they can come around with something like,
-Devs: OK we did teach this unit to back-flip jump.
-Players: OK nice joke, why are there no defense buildings?

I have a very bad feeling by modern RTS to design “base build.”
They do rather nerf and simplify, but we actually need a buff.

4 Likes

because that is the worst part about all of those games… ruines the gameflow and is not very fun to face. in a way both AoE & AoM already have their “super weapons”. AoE have wonders and AoM have both wonders AND titans. and quite frankly of all the super weapons in the RTS genre, the Age of ____ are the most fun to play with and against.