Coustilliers should not recharge when in combat

nice suggestions. must keep them in check!

3 Likes

I actually love the idea of reducing speed when charge is not active. Just charge to the battle, do a massive damage, but then stay there and fight normally. Would still be situationally really good, but not ridiculous.

4 Likes

I agree with you charge need to be load only outside of combat.
The reload time need to be 3x slower.
The reload time need to be divide by 3 when the ennemi (who receive the charge attack) is kill.(Like this no hit and run)
I think the charge attack is great but the normal attack need to be reduce (It need to be efficient against low hp)

Cool idea. I agree on this. But I want to reduce the charge attack a little bit more. +15, +20. Also charge won’t affect sieges (and ships, not sure if they are affected though).

I think it is better more charges with less damage, than few powerfull charges.

Ways to Nerf the coustiller:

1. As you say, attack does not charge while in combat.
  2. Reduce the extra attack from +35/+40 to +15/+20, that way it’s not that broken.
  3. Reduce the base pierce armor to 1, so it can be countered by archers.
1 Like

Or:

• Zero charge on creation, charges over time
  • Lose charge when attacking uphill
  • You want the charge to work better against milita-line and archers than against the spearman line or other cav, “cavalry charges often failed against infantry(*)”, so either:
    • give spearman-line anti-charge armor (if that’s possible, doesn’t look like charge is an armor/attack class in the traditional sense) or even charge immunity (which still makes coustillier > knight in most situations and helps kill stacked archers)
    • or change the charge attack to something like an invisible organ gun shot , like 3 projectiles spread over a very wide arc but only .5 - 1 range.
    • or how a ram hits walls, give single-use high area damage but at limited range vs non-spearman line only

*John Keegan, Booknotes :: Watch

I think the simplest way should be that the recharge requires the unit to be idle, so it really works once per battle. You charge in, and cant micro away while it recharges because it wont.

So either it only works for the first charge or you need two groups rotating their charges.

Perhaps a middle ground could be that while moving it could recharge more slowly, and while figthing even more slowly

Regardless, it should only work if the unit has moved some distance beforehand so no “stationaty charge” happes.

1 Like
  1. Ok that makes sense
  2. Thats too much, specially with the first nerf, maybe half that nerf, to +25/+30
  3. No, they are supposed to be strong vs archers and probably that would be the only unit class that they would be better than knights, if you take that away from them, whats the point of the UU? Burgs would go all in with knights
1 Like

I like these values. I think that might really fix them. Microing would still be good but you lose time when you wait for the recharge and the benefit is far away from the benefit you get now. 11+25 means 36 damage which won’t let you onehit most units like arbalesters, villagers or siege.

Maybe even halfing the bonus damage against siege on top of the value changes might be a good thing.

I saw also some other good suggestions here like charge not reloading while in the middle of the fight. 90 Seconds recharge is too much in my opinion but the lowered damage sounds reasonable - it should never reach more than 36 or 37 damage with charge.

To me that really sounds like a first fix for the unit and from there we can see how it plays out.

Tbh their just meele Mangudei. Change my mind.

1 Like

Recharge a charge in idle position it is like an anti-charge thing… CHarge should only recharge in movement, not fighting, not standing. If you stop, lose your momentum, just like charges work in real life.
I know that AoE is not an rigurous battle simulator, but if a simple phisic mechanic could be applied in game, then It should be done whitout “invisible walls” things or too much complex triggers…

Well. cavs wouldn’t just run aimlessly either, they would get tired and ineffective.

But this is just a game, keeping your coustilliers moving would take your attention away from other tasks. it would be a disadvantage to anyone who want to use the unit

1 Like

But it worth it if you do 9+37 damage for charge… And I don’t see anybody complainning about CA’s microing requirements…

Or the spearman line could do high damage to the costillier. Add +10 bonus damage to this unit?

Would be basically the same, the problem is that a single cav kills a FU halb in 2 hits, not the bonus (coustelliers are way weaker than a paladin)

Or maybe give spearman +20 “charge” (or somewhat close) vs cavalry in general? Would make costellier charge into pikes suicide.

Can someone tell me if the fact that Coustillier is doing double the charge damage to archers a bug or a feature?

I’ve only had limited experience with them so I could be wrong but from what I’ve observed the charge attack is the main selling point. Is it strong? Sure, but I don’t like the idea of the charge mechanic resetting completely whilst idle as I feel that would kill the unit if you ever so stop to look elsewhere.

Decrease charge rate, nerf the damage, increase the charge threshold and or whatever but taking away the aforemented aspect of the charge mechanic would probably render the unit too pointless and Burgundians would just go all Knights. The Coustillier is relatively cheap and fast for a heavy cavalry unit but it also has a low base attack for such a unit which relies on its charge attack and speed to get into battles, deal damage and then retreat. (although you’re better off staying in combat to be honest)

1 Like

The Coustillier needs a proper counter, so if it’s not going to be spears like any other cavalry, it should be archers, in the same way the byzantine Cataphract is countered. It’s just an idea.