Hey all, I’d really like to play this game but I’m having issues with crash to desktop that occurs a few minutes into every game (single player or multiplayer). The game will hang for just a second, occasionally with a second of stuttering audio, and then crash to desktop. No error messages. The OS doesn’t crash, just the game.
i7-9700k @ 3.6GHz
EVGA NVIDIA 1080Ti
850w EVGA PSU
Internet 1Gbps (clocked at 700mbps through SpeedTest)
Windows 10 Pro
Purchased and launched through Steam
If I use a GFX card benchmark to stress test the card (e.g. FurMark) there is no instability. GPU temp at about 60C during gameplay. CPU temp about the same. CPU and GFX card are water cooled and there’s excellent airflow across the radiators.
I’ve tried the following fixes (unsuccessfully):
- Complete uninstall of graphic drivers (with DDU) and re-install to latest version.
- Reset graphic card settings to manufacturer default.
- Windows up to date.
- Verified integrity of game files through Steam (and have also done a complete uninstall / reinstall).
- Latest version of C++ redistributables.
- Turned off Steam and Nvidia in-game overlays.
- Added to Whitelist for antivirus (Kaspersky)
- Checked for missing .dll file in system32 (not missing)
- System restarts
- Unable to locate the .exe file to try to launch independent of Steam. There doesn’t seem to be one for AoE IV?
- Reduced graphic settings in-game.
- Tried windowed mode.
It’s a very stable PC and should be able to run everything without an issue. If you can suggest a fix, I’d be very interested. There doesn’t seem to be an error code or anything that I’m getting, so I don’t even know how to report my issue to Microsoft for them to fix in future patches.
Thanks for considering.