Cultural skins for units?

Hey everyone!! I want to propose a idea.

As you know, in Age of Empires (and also in Age of Empires II, but that’s another story) all units are equal for all bands. That’s ok for a late XX century game, but we’re in 2017, and I think that, as each culture group has different buildings, each culture group should have different unit sets. If you put it, it would be sublime!!

Examples that could be used for different cultures:

Firstly, Greek and Roman cultures should maintain actual units.

Then, for Middle Eastern (Egypt, Assyria, Sumer):

Then, for Central Asia (Persian, Babylonian, Hittites):

Boats could be similar to those of Greeks.

Finally, for East Asia (Shang, Choson, Yamato):

Please, think about it :smile:

1 Like

These won’t be included in the final version that is certain because the developers want only minimal changes to the original concept but these would be awesome to have in a mod or an expansion.

There are a couple problems with this. Firstly and most obviously it would take a lot of work to add different models for all civilizations. Secondly, for the sake of gameplay the units need to be easily recognizable. You should be able to tell what units the enemy is using by just a quick look on the battlefield. If all civilizations have different models that would be much harder.

Perhaps unique unit models could be added in a DLC and those who prioritize gameplay and recognizability could just not get it.

“Secondly, for the sake of gameplay the units need to be easily recognizable.”

There are only one unit by type (one with sword, one with bow, one with spear + shield, one cavalery line up etc…).

There will be a classic mode that brings back the settings of 1997, but with better graphics, and there will be as well a normal mode that could feature units cultural skins. It all depends on the game’s reception, though.

@Daxtesoscuro said:
Hey everyone!! I want to propose a idea.

As you know, in Age of Empires (and also in Age of Empires II, but that’s another story) all units are equal for all bands. That’s ok for a late XX century game, but we’re in 2017, and I think that, as each culture group has different buildings, each culture group should have different unit sets. If you put it, it would be sublime!!

Would be very fun! This topic is also being discussed on AoE2 HD mods. This would make the game more realistic.

PLEASEEEE… I NEED THE GAME MORE REALISTIC !! +++++ cultural skins

I love the concept of cultural diversity for the units, although I suspect it would have to be patched in after the game’s release (unless the Forgotten team is able to mod it in). However, I have different recommendations for how the Egyptian units should look (I should add that I really don’t think the Assyrians and Sumerians should have the Egyptian look, as they are Mesopotamians like the Babylonians):

I like this idea a lot. The units do not need to function differently, just aesthetically be different. It adds to the realism and this is one of my only complaints about AOE2. As far as that being more difficult to recognize what other players are using, that just adds to the experience and skill gap between a good player and a great player. Look at AOE3 or AOM. A better player will be able to recognize those units.

@Tyrannohotep said:
I love the concept of cultural diversity for the units, although I suspect it would have to be patched in after the game’s release (unless the Forgotten team is able to mod it in). However, I have different recommendations for how the Egyptian units should look (I should add that I really don’t think the Assyrians and Sumerians should have the Egyptian look, as they are Mesopotamians like the Babylonians):

############################################# “”)

Yeah, I also think they should be different. I only put it cause they have the same architecture style :smiley:

I was thinking the same thing. It would make the game much better, more unique, and more realistic. Because certain units were unique to certain Civilizations, such as Hoplites were really only relevant to the Greeks & Macedonians.

I totally agree with @qweytr24

But what about female villagers?

As @qweytr24 pointed out there are a few challenges with this idea. First and foremost it is expensive and there are so many other actual game improvements they can spend their time on instead. Secondly the idea of unit types being easily recognizable at a glance is a concern.

That said I think it is perfectly possible to achieve the latter if you are very careful about how you design each units culture variance and that you are not getting too creative. Units must look very similar in form yet have distinct differences across each culture. I also think that if they were to achieve this, despite it’s expensive nature, that would be a big draw from a marketing perspective. Overall though I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I would really like to see female villagers though. Should be relatively easy to implement and it would go a long way to give each town that living-society feel, rather than being just a clump of “builder” units.

This is a really great idea!

@LegoVogel said:
I totally agree with @qweytr24

But what about female villagers?

I’m not sure about that. Historically women didn’t really participate in things like mining, hunting, cutting wood or building buildings, but adding them would bring some variety and make the towns feel more like real civilizations.

I would only add it as an option so you can turn it on and of as you like.

@qweytr24 said:
I’m not sure about that. Historically women didn’t really participate in things like mining, hunting, cutting wood or building buildings, but adding them would bring some variety and make the towns feel more like real civilizations.

Yeah, it is more a variety and cosmetic thing. Cosmetically I would like it.

I liked it in AOE II, but there, it has no real function. It would be cool if every gender had its bonuses like +1 gathering for male in mining and +1 for female in farming. But I know that’s too far fetched and not achievable.
…One can dream though…

Although I would like to see some mod-compatibility in the Definitive version where maybe., just maybe…, these things can happen.

I liked it in AOE II, but there, it has no real function. It would be cool if every gender had its bonuses like +1 gathering for male in mining and +1 for female in farming. But I know that’s too far fetched and not achievable.

I think that would be a bit contrived from a gameplay perspective. It’s would add a lot of unnecessary micromanagment without addying anything of value to the gameplay loop itself. I think ideas like that would fit better in a managment game, ala Banished etc

@LegoVogel said:

It would be cool if every gender had its bonuses like +1 gathering for male in mining and +1 for female in farming.

Absolutely not…

@LegoVogel said:

It would be cool if every gender had its bonuses like +1 gathering for male in mining and +1 for female in farming. But I know that’s too far fetched and not achievable.
…One can dream though…

Although I would like to see some mod-compatibility in the Definitive version where maybe., just maybe…, these things can happen.

I’ve been brainstorming some ideas for a realistic resources mod where you can make specialized units like miners and lumberjacks, it’s cool to hear that someone would be interested in that