Disappointment

BossPaprika1647[Age Insider] Age IV Beta

1m

Im confused about this point as all the voice lines in game were arabic?

BossPaproka1647

Well, I am speaking about history. I didn’t pay attention to the in game language as I don’t understand a single word of it.

Yes, but it wasn’t in the video they released. Was a very odd choice, hence the original confusion.

Yeah, this was kind of an outdated necropost. Don’t know why it was revived.

To clarify: The horizontal opening is not because of the crossbow having a horizontal bow…you don’t ram the thing in there but stand quite a distance behind it. It’s there to expand your vision in the horizontal (find and track targets). The actual shooting is done through the vertical slit (allows to aim down onto targets in reasonable distances). Thats why you can also find T-shaped ones or ones which have offset slits like here:

5 Likes

That’d be some hilarious imagery but I didn’t mean literally jam it in there, I mean that crossbowmen have to sit down or kneel to fire out of the holes. The tall part can’t really be used by them.

Also why did this thread even get necroed? It’s a really dumb topic in the first place since it has nothing to do with religion.

1 Like

The Arabs are the ones who started building the city of Baghdad, and there was no city called Baghdad when the Persian state was occupying these areas + the library of the House of Wisdom was built by Arab hands on the orders of the Abbasid Caliph Abu Jaafar Al-Mansur

Abbasids are a mix of Iranian Buyids and the Seljuk Turks.
I do agree that the crosses are concerning. Let’s hope they will fix it.

they aren’t christian symbols

1 Like

The picture you used is a European castle’s arrow slit.
It is a symbol, it simply means God will protect me xD if we have arrow slits like this.
That was the simple reason why they did this.
Most of the non-European countries didn’t use crosses on arrow slits. It is unnecessary. Even most of the Anglo-Saxon castles don’t have it.

While this post was alive, I did significant research on this exact topic. I have seen nowhere in the entire wikipedia page (which I unfortunately had to read) that mentioned anything about it being christian symbolization. It is just a more logical version of the normal vertical arrowslit.

To clarify, I am not a Christian and have no reason to defend their faith.

"In its simplest form, an arrowslit was a narrow vertical opening; however, the different weapons used by defenders sometimes dictated the form of arrowslits. For example, openings for longbowmen were usually tall and high to allow the user to shoot standing up and make use of the 6 ft (1.8 m) bow, while those for crossbowmen were usually lower down as it was easier for the user to shoot whilst kneeling to support the weight of the weapon. It was common for arrowslits to widen to a triangle at the bottom, called a fishtail, to allow defenders a clearer view of the base of the wall.[7] Immediately behind the slit there was a recess called an embrasure; this allowed a defender to get close to the slit without being too cramped.[8] The width of the slit dictated the field of fire, but the field of vision could be enhanced by the addition of horizontal openings; they allowed defenders to view the target before it entered range.[7]

Usually, the horizontal slits were level, which created a cross shape, but less common was to have the slits off-set (called displaced traverse slots) as demonstrated in the remains of White Castle in Wales. This has been characterised as an advance in design as it provided attackers with a smaller target;[9] however, it has also been suggested that it was to allow the defenders of White Castle to keep attackers in their sights for longer because of the steep moat surrounding the castle."

2 Likes

Seriously, people are getting offended by arrow slits on castles :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

This is how Indian arrow slits look like. I think it is more than enough!
have been in India, did see these walls and castles. I know how their arrow slits look.
Your reasonings are good, but they are European reasonings. That is the main issue!

Another one! xD

And

Smaller square arrow slits

Most of the castles and their soldiers used their own weapons that are made in specific regions. Due to that, they would make arrow slates accordingly. Not all soldiers had crossbows. In fact, the crossbow wasn’t popular in Delhi nor the Abbasid dynasty.

Well I guess they could just put regular vertical arrow slits on the Indian castles, if they don’t it’s no big deal. Doesn’t really matter it’s a game

Modern world, needs modern solutions man xD

Understanding diverse culture is crucial for multinational corporations to generate revenue

I have been to China, America, Ireland, France, Germany, India, Turkey, and Australia. I am definitely aware that it was a widely-used by Europeans. Turkey and Australia actually had them too, but Australia is a given because of the colonial forts the British used. damn brits and their colonies

Sure, but it’s more practical to have horizontal slits. It’s not going to make much of a difference but it still helps. And I’m also not saying European architecture is better, China and India have unique designs for their fortifications that Europeans didn’t either.

I’m simply pointing out that it’s not inherently Christian. Like I said, neither architecture is superior. In fact, I think Chinese architecture was better than European (during the medieval period at least). It makes sense that nations following Islam would have them too, it has nothing to do with religion. It’s a design choice.

Once again, I’m not defending Christianity.

Yeah, but who seriously isn’t going to buy a game because arrow slits aren’t correct

I didn’t say u are defending Christianity bro, it is the arrow slits and the warfare of different regions around the world was so much different. They used different armor, (for example, Europeans preferred heavy armor, on the other hand, Asian nations would prefer lighter armors due to culture, economy, and preferences or availabilities.

And in this case, in Abbasid Dynasty, they focused on light infantry’s so there is no need for crossbows as they are slower and expensive (perfect for countering heavy armors). Basic bows did much much better during the sieges. More firepower = victory.

1 Like

Good point, I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure that the Europeans where really the only ones who used crossbows. Which makes sense as most Asian and Arab countries typically used lighter armor

1 Like

Sorry, it just was the beginning of the topic that it’s a supposedly Christian symbol on non-christian walls.

Yeah, I wasn’t saying it was the same everywhere. It’s just that it wouldn’t be weird that they’d have arrow slits like that.

Indeed. Asian history is actually one of the most interesting sects of culture. China and India were some of my best experiences in life. They have a lot of well-preserved architecture and artifacts. And since they weren’t warmongers like most of Europe, they kept hold of their original lands and so their architecture.

I’m just going to reference what the other good lad said. They’re not specifically for crossbows.

Depends. Bows did better in every circumstance except when mounted on the top of walls. In Asia and in the Americas (natives) actually had bows better than European bows and crossbows. China also essentially invented modernized gunpowder weapons such as rockets, ‘handcannons’ (not the official term), and mortars.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure china used crossbows quite a lot and for what i know, africans as well

Most of the Chinese crossbows were not powerful as the European ones.
But it had a magazine to shoot more arrows in a very short period of time.
And, yes it was 1st created in China, but the Mongols gave its blueprints to others just like the gun powder weapons xD (I mean they gave the repeater crossbow blueprint)