Do NOT buy this DLC

I will NOT buy the DLC and I encourage you to do the same, here is why :

Considering the fact that, initially, variant civs were named “Empire of Jade” and “Sultan’s Army”, it is a clear declaration of “We don’t have the time / the will to deliver proper and historically accurate content, so we prefer set a foot in the fantasy world way before Age of Mythology Retold announcement”.

Byzantines and Japaneses are insane and really well designed civs. Honestly, I would have bought the DLC if it was just them.

By buying this DLC, you are supporting this lazy work and their urge for quantity over quality. ZXL was the icing on the cake. I am not chinese, but I would be clearly offended by such an awful documentation work on what my civilisation and culture were.

12 Likes

No i Like this DLC so i will buy it

20 Likes

I’ve already pre-purchase the expansion because it provides with great value. These old complains are getting old by now.

6 Likes

I do agree with you, it’s a great gameplay value. You’ll have a lot of content for a worthy price.
However, I’m not complaining, but critcizing what can be improved on the game and moreover, the path Relic is taking, which deviates a lot from their original line.

2 Likes

That’s because in your eyes the variant civilizations are not historical accurate which I disagree with because they are that and they provide with enough of new stuff to be called a new civilization.

1 Like

this dlc is an instant buy. 2 new civs, 4 variants, a new campaign, new biome and new maps for 15 euro! that is awesome. and i judge the variantes after i played them, not before.

11 Likes

I really want to buy this dlc because when i think they gave the Ottomans and Malians free.Also byzantine and japan are really great civs but i dont want to support that variant civ way,this thing is making me stop from buying.

3 Likes

The variants, despite the debatable names of two of them, are an addition to the DLC. The core of the DLC consists of the Byzantines, the Japanese, and the campaign.

For the price it has, and as I mentioned in another thread, considering inflation, it is completely profitable and safe to buy, although people can do as they please. The variants are not going to disappear, and some complaints on that matter no longer make much sense. I hope the 2 names that bother me are changed, but they won’t do it anymore.

No AoE is historically accurate 100% (or even 90%), and gameplay will always take precedence. For example, historically, the Springald was never anti-siege, and archers were not more effective against spearmen than against the MAA.

P.S: By the way, first you say that the Japanese and the Byzantines are “insane,” and then you say they prioritize quantity over quality.

I say they prioritize having quality in the most requested civilizations and quantity to provide more variety.

6 Likes

Don’t feel too bad about Ottoman and Malians. AoE4 was released underbaked in multiple departments, and an additional two civilizations doesn’t really make up for fundamental broken aspects of the release.

Between the ugly natural environment design, useless editor (that will never be developed) and the hastily put together uninspiring maps of the campaign, the game was launched lacking many features that two civilizations alone do not make up for.

I think the DLC looks like good value, and I’d probably even pay more. But, I have to be honest and say that the variants severely drag down the value of this DLC in my eyes, and I would much rather not see them part of it at all. Don’t want to support the development of content that actively harms what I enjoy about AoE.

2 Likes

We get 2 fully new civs which looks totally awesome, a campaign and updated graphics (new water rendering) and probably a bunch of other lesser changes / additions we have not heard of yet, for just 14,99€.

And, as a bonus, we get 4 variant civs to shake up the meta and make PvP games much more interesting.

This was an instant pre-order for me. Can’t wait for November 14th!

5 Likes

just wanted to add that the recent relic layoffs also laid off some people that worked on that editor as it affected every single team at relic unfortunately
imo the engineers in particular should be left alone, they’re too important, we don’t need another CA situation where no one knows how that engine really works cuz all people that knew left or got kicked

3 Likes

As a longtime fan of the Age of Empires series, having played every game since the late 1990s, I prioritize fun gameplay above all else. While historical accuracy is appreciated, it shouldn’t come at the expense of ruining the overall gaming experience, in my opinion.

I have consistently viewed the AoE games as entertaining RTS titles with a strong focus on PvP action, grounded in human history as a theme.

One of the many enjoyable gameplay mechanics made possible by the games’ departure from strict historical accuracy is the presence of monks, who can both heal and convert units in combat by just waving their arms and shout WOLOLOO! This is just one example of the many entertaining features that contribute to the overall fun factor of the Age of Empires series, for me.

6 Likes

If very few people bought the DLC, frankly they would probably limit or stop developing the game much as it would be a huge sign of disinterest considering it has 2 of the most popular and demanded civs. Fortunately it sounds like the DLC will be hugely popular and hopefully brings a big influx of players.

I also personally will probably be playing order of the dragon.

Now if only we could get a good scenario editor.

2 Likes

Honestly, due to my love to this game, i ll pass over some unhappy dev decisions and ill buy the dlc. 15bats then is quite ok.

1 Like

You’re the reason why most game developers offer almost no content in dlc nowadays.

Do you realize you’re asking for less content in the dlc?

I’m happy relic went against the grain and found of way to give us more gameplay content. I don’t think its low quality even if slightly less accurate.

Remember this is multiplayer and not necessarily the historical part. The campaign is there for the historical part. And those variant are not in the campaign. (except ayyubid).

2 Likes

I get more than I asked for, I’m not ever boycotting it.

Even if Variants are not up my alley, I can get along with them. The Devs didn’t have to ask us permission but surely will listen to the feedback for the future content, that’s my take on it. The DLC it’s still totally worth it for me, I’m happy to support the game.

1 Like

I have already preordered, so I m not crying with you. Buy the way it looks like a great dlc.

3 Likes

It’s so weird to me that people will turn down what sounds to be a great DLC for a great price just due to some name for a variant civilization is not liked by them. :thinking:

2 Likes

They even didnt change their name its such a easy thing.They are battling with the customers its unbeliveable.

If the devs make an announcement about improving variant civs and give them a name make sense i would buy this dlc.For example chinese variant has same dynasty names with different bonuses it need to change , ayyubids very good only missing thing is new skin for landmark.

Order of dragon and jeanne they are joke only thing can do to them is changing their names like duchy of orleans and what can we call the order of dragon?Luxemburg?

3 Likes

Order of the dragon has nothing to do with Luxembourg though, other than the fact that the founder of the order was a descendent of the house of Luxembourg. He ruled Hungary, but many of the members were not part of Hungary either, he didn’t even rule over Luxembourg, his ancestors did. It would be like naming a civ Hapsburg.

They might also not want to name it Hungary, because we might get an actual Hungarian civ in the future.

1 Like