Does AOE Def. being exclusively on Windows 10 upset you?

AOE definitive edition will be exclusively on on the windows 10 store. What are your thoughts?

Yes. Very much yes.

Upset isn’t really the word I’d use. More like disappointed.

I was hoping to get it on steam for win 8 so I can verse the rest of my family. But I guess I can play single player… alone… on my own… without them… We’ll just have to stick with the HD version of AoE 2

Well upset might not be the exact word but its not something I like.
mainly because how bad previous such platforms of M$ have been, as well as M$ their overall goal with the store, locking the platform with their own monopoly and creating an xbox environment.

For me I voted yes, not bc it truly upsets me, but it limits me in the multi player, most of my family and friends who enjoy the AoE series and who would play the multi with me will now be unable to bc most of them have not upgrade to window 10 and are still using window 8/8.1, and that is what upsets me. it limits my multi player options.

No, I have windows 10 and I feel pretty comfortable with it.

Would I have liked AoEDE to be available on every possible platform? Yes. Just for the good of the game.

Am I ‘upset’ (or, disappointed) it is a Win10 exclusive? No. Why not?

First of all, no one is saying “I want to play on win8”. There seems to be a LOT of win7 users who have this elitist attitude about win7 just because 8 turned your PC into a giant iPhone, but fear not! Win10 is a very good OS.

Now, specifically to the win7 people:
So what should you win7 users do in this case? I think you need to set down your butter churns, lace up your boots and bonnets, jump in the family horse buggy and head on down to your local apothecary to fill your country doctor’s prescription for win10.

Seriously guys, the new millenium is not as scary as it sounds.

Nope.

@Raw1812 said:
Would I have liked AoEDE to be available on every possible platform? Yes. Just for the good of the game.

First of all, no one is saying “I want to play on win8”. There seems to be a LOT of win7 users who have this elitist attitude about win7 just because 8 turned your PC into a giant iPhone, but fear not! Win10 is a very good OS.

So what should you win7 users do in this case? I think you need to set down your butter churns, lace up your boots and bonnets, jump in the family horse buggy and head on down to your local apothecary to fill your country doctor’s prescription for win10.

It isn’t about elitist attitude about WIN 7, it is about MONEY because some of us don’t have enough gold mines to upgrade our OS. I have my own computer running WIN 7 but my brother got a new one (yeah, my parents bought it) with WIN 10 installed, so I am gonna use it to play the game.

Meanwhile I will just save my university earnings (if I had some) to get into the new OS.

@KingDarBoja said:

@Raw1812 said:

It isn’t about elitist attitude about WIN 7, it is about MONEY because some of us don’t have enough gold mines to upgrade our OS. I have my own computer running WIN 7 but my brother got a new one (yeah, my parents bought it) with WIN 10 installed, so I am gonna use it to play the game.

Meanwhile I will just save my university earnings (if I had some) to get into the new OS.

Windows 10 was a free upgrade for 1 year.

@Fetandrey said:

@KingDarBoja said:

@Raw1812 said:

I know mate, I forgot to upgrade it :disappointed: It is my fault.

Personally, I don’t care. If I didn’t have Win10, then I would care - but it’s Microsoft’s game, so their decisions. If your issue is money, then that’s entirely your fault.

How do I unregister for this beta? I thought I was signing up for something … less … awful.

Like said before…somewhere…you want to do something bad enough…you just do it. Why so many didn’t take the free upgrade when it was offer…is crazy…do you not ever have to buy a new puter or laptop? You are really using the same system you were years ago? My stuff don’t tend to last that long lol

I think its stupid. BUT Unless it changes I guess I’ll most likely be playing it in a Virtual Machine. If I where to move from Windows 7 it would be to Windows 8.1. I have had nothing but issues on every machine with Windows 10 that is used heavily.

@“Wicked Wulf” said:
Like said before…somewhere…you want to do something bad enough…you just do it. Why so many didn’t take the free upgrade when it was offer…is crazy…do you not ever have to buy a new puter or laptop? You are really using the same system you were years ago? My stuff don’t tend to last that long lol

When you build your own stuff it last that long lol. And or buy Business grade stuff. Running Last years i7 gen 6700k with Windows 7. I’m sure I’ll be using Windows 10 once 7 & 8.1 run out of support (Hoping things improve or something new by then though).

I know mate, I forgot to upgrade it :disappointed: It is my fault.

You can still upgrade for free using your old Windows 7 or 8 key. It still works perfectly fine for me… OR just turn on sticky keys.

Doesn’t upset me as my new PC has Windows 10. I thought when on my old pc however that the free version of Windows 10 (I was on 7) was the 32bit one hence why I didn’t upgrade. My WIN 7 was 64bit and I read somewhere that 32bit windows doesn’t use more that 4gb of ram, effectively making it poor for gaming but I’m no tech head. If this is correct then you might not be able to blame people for not upgrading.

I’m sad that Windows store and Win 10 will hurt the sales and thus multiplayer community but beyond that doesn’t affect me.

I voted yes. But I want to be clear: I have a system that came with Windows 10, I didn’t have to get any free upgrades or anything. So the issue has nothing to do with having to buy a copy of Windows 10 just to play the game. My concern is that Microsoft is taking this game and putting it on a completely different platform from the rest of the series. The game belongs on Steam. We should be able to play with the same Steam friends we already have without having to set up more new IDs and friend requests. Steam has a great interface for updating games; you can delay updates, but you can’t play again until you update. You have achievements, which is ironically the reason quoted for the game being exclusive to the Windows Store. You have the ability to quickly and easily redownload the game if you move and authorize Steam to a new computer; you don’t have to redownload all of your games through Windows Update while doing other updates. Finally, AOEDE is not being released on Xbox; if it is, then provide Xbox support through Steam, don’t force users to a completely different platform.

Steam is already a heavily popular client. Separating from the place where everyone already is will destroy sales on this game and ruin this franchise. Honestly, it wouldn’t be the first thing Microsoft’s ruined.

Signed up for the beta then realized it was only Win10 lol. Another Win7/steam user here, ouch! Not sure I understand releasing a 20 year old game for 1 operating system only lmao, oh well. Starcraft remastered will work on Win7. :slight_smile: