Elo is going to be added in lobbies, but not the way it should be done

Toroidal said in another topic he doesn’t even have DE.

It’s just a troll, but it’s especially sad, even if i really think there’s 0 chance any DEV read that forum :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m sorry. But I was unable to understand most of your post. Could you elaborate more?

Why did you said that? I know people play way more the “normal” skirmishes that they play free for all, treaties and multiplayer’s scenarios. But they will keep playing skirmishes even it’s ranked or not, because this is just the most popular mode from this game. I even mentioned that on the original age of empires (Age of empires 1, not the vanilla game. I don’t know if was that the confusion you make. My bad if it wasn’t) people play mostly unrated skirmishes, even though there is the option of play they rated. Players will continue mostly playing skirmishes if is rated or not, because that’s what they always did.

This is a strawman argument. I never said such a thing.

1. You can always flag cheaters/rude players.
  2. You will not just keep being matched with people that is not of your skill level forever. The system is new, experienced players and beginners start with the same ELO rank, and this lead to unbalanced matches on the beginning. With time, ELO ranks will reflect better players skills.
    This happens every time you start doing something that measure skills levels by the ELO system. On the beginning the matches are not always balanced, but after a number of matches your rating reflects will reflect your actual skills.
    Is a small nuisance, but in my opinion the ELO system is the better that I know, and surely is better than the subjective judgment of players.

So? I need to have the definitive edition to have a opinion that lobbies should not be ranked?

Again, I wish hunting villagers and rushes where that easy. I would won way more games by now. :upside_down_face:

I strongly disagree with this. Hunting villagers is literally all about good timing, if you mess up the timing you not only will not get any villagers, but you can also lost your units. And is not simple to put up a good rush, players create chokepoints, put up walls and fortifications and herd far hunts to the base, and it does involve a lot of micromanagements measures. Is no a no brainer job, takes skill to put up actual good rushes. And it’s does not work 100% of the times, and when it doesn’t, you will still need skill to play longer games.

After some months, time that every new ELO system requires to give players adequate ratings, the only difference of a 3v3 on quick search and a 3v3 on a lobby is that you are purposing choosing game setting that fits better your style and avoiding ones that you are uncomfortable with.

So I’m sorry, if you will always play on just maps and games that have a game flow that you are comfortable with, it is a artificial way to masquerade your real skills, and should not count as precise measure of it, like the ELO rating should supposed to be.

So, u base all ur arguing on a game that u don’t have about a game that u never played ?

Everybody plays rank on AOE3, everybody.

The elo system will not match u with people ur skill, that’s fact, deal with it. There’s not enough players. The system rather match u with lower elo than makes u wait 10 minutes. It’s broken.

1 Like

Not owning does not means that I never played. And even if I didn’t, I could still support the new system just based on a reading of the summary of changes.

It’s not a fact. You are speculating on the future, just like I am speculating as well. And your speculations are as good as mine. And my speculations is that the ratings does not reflect the real rating of a player because is a new system, and everybody starts at very same rating. After some months, matchmaking will be more precise.

We won’t argue forever as we’re just repeating the same thing over and over again. ^^

There’s many players that understand the game with several thousands hours of how it works, like me, but some got more than 6000, 8000 hours…

And u’re here not owning the game thinking u understand it as good and that ur statement is as valable as ours. But it’s not.

Please, play the game at minimum 500 hours and come back in 2 years, otherwise, it’s just someone that absolutely needs to give his opinion on something he’s not concerned.

I’m not saying to Starcraft players how their game should work cause I’ve played 1 hour with a friend. That’s not how community works.

Are you implying that the meta isn’t hunting villagers with cav or a age2 rush? It’s very easy and repetitive. There’s no nuance, critical thinking and little skill required; you just make 11 vils, age up, make a barracks and push with units + cards. GG.

As the game progresses to around min7-8 the game has a lot more unit variance, more units to control, more villagers to control, a lot more timings to consider not only from yourself but from your 3 opponents and your two allies, trade post amount relative to opposition, shrines, etc.

The problem is we can’t reach that 7-8min mark on most maps in a 2v2/3v3 enviroment and if we can, it’s not as varied because as I told you earlier, a lot of factions arn’t viable on most maps.

strongly disagree with this. Hunting villagers is literally all about good timing

That’s such a big kapp dude. Once you get to even MS rank, you can replicate that mindlessly without much of a mind or micro.
The timings involved in a age 2 rush at around 4-5mins are far easier than 7-8mins in say Deccan because as the game progresses, there’s more to manage and more units to use.

the only difference of a 3v3 on quick search and a 3v3 on a lobby is that you are purposing choosing game setting that fits better your style and avoiding ones that you are uncomfortable with.

Are you purposfully ignoring the 8 points I’ve bought up in this thread?
Full list of how it’s different here: Developers, a CALL TO ACTION. Mutliplayer needs FIXING!

it is a artificial way to masquerade your real skills, and should not count as precise measure of it, like the ELO rating should supposed to be.

My ‘real skills’ are best suited to Deccan and a few other maps as they have a higher skill ceiling as I’ve told you a few times now.
This is the reason almost everyone in the 3v3 community on TAD(The Asian Dynasties) liked specific maps.

Dude, stop talking to that troll.

Evrything he whould say is just for trolling, he’s not playing the game. He doesn’t own it. I don’t even know what is he doing here lol

I don’t like to mention those Latin definitions of fallacies because it’s always sounds snarky and arrogant. But you are being snarky and arrogant with me, so I think is fair.

You are doing argumentum ad hominem. You didn’t addressed any of my points, just tried to diminish the author of the arguments by saying that I never played the game and flex how many hours of game you played.

And yes, I did repeat my points a lot. But is because you and @CkoTT are not addressing them.

I don’t own the definitive edition of the game. I do own the collection of games that came before the definitive edition (The Age of Empires 3, War Chiefs and Asian Dynasties). And I spend a considerable amount of time playing all those versions of the game.

And is funny for me you saying that I didn’t play this game sufficiently, because I sincerely wish I hadn’t :sweat_smile:

If I had studied or exercised the time I spend playing this game, my life would probably be way better by now. :crazy_face:

Dude, stop talking to that troll.

I think it’s important to be able to respond well to even trolls.

Evrything he whould say is just for trolling, he’s not playing the game. He doesn’t own it. I don’t even know what is he doing here lol

If he doesn’t even own the game he probably isn’t worth responding to, agreed. Some people like to just push themselves into arguments because they’re bored. He proved it after you posted here:

I don’t own the definitive edition of the game. I do own the collection of games that came before the definitive edition (The Age of Empires 3, War Chiefs and Asian Dynasties).

1 Like

That’s why I disappeared or stopped arguing with @ToroidalLeaf69. It will take you nowhere and everything is on the table now. Idk why keep talking about this haha, everyone showed their points to have or not have ranked lobbies, now you guys are just reppeting yourselves. Idc about what anyone say, imo there must be ranked lobbies, let’s just wait to see what the devs do after our discussion

1 Like

Sorry @CkoTT, I just saw your comments now for some weird reason, and you indeed are addressing some of my arguments, so my comment before was not fair. So let me go back to the discussion.

I gonna have to disagree with you again. Is not that simple, and is not always that the age 2 push works. You might get a bad fight and have to retreat, and you better have micromanaged you ecosystem well during the time you where fighting, or you will be in severe economic disadvantage.

Also, there are players that put up walls and make chokepoints with their buildings, that are very hard to raid or rush on age 2. And a lot of times this makes you stop, go to the fortress age to get cannons and try again. And even worst, I had opponents that were able to quickly put their villagers inside of buildings like the town center and make they get out on the other side instantly, sometimes to shoot my cavalry, and when the cavalry goes to the other side to pick they up, they repeat the process. There is a lot of things that can go wrong. Raiding and rushing is not just a mindless activity. Is not that simple, I really wish it was.

This is a double edged sword. Long team games theoretically are not viable for factions like Ottomans, Russians, Aztecs and Sioux as well. And I think you can reach that time mark with a lot of civilizations in a wide variety of maps.

No. I believed I answered all of they on my previous comments. I was being pretty detailed going through the A, A2, A3 topics that you putted on your comments. If I didn’t it was not on purpose. What points I didn’t covered?

But this is a very subjective view of high ceiling skills. As I told a few times now as well, rushing and raiding also takes skill, and it does not always works.

I could be very reductionist and say that on long team games all you need to do is have a Portugal player playing the improved walls cards and put 10 layers of wall that you can never lose a game. But I know this is not true, because there is a lot things going on. It’s the same with rushing, it’s not just quickly age 2, send recourses to create units, train units, use the XP of trained units to have more shipments to get more units, attack the enemy. GG. There is a lot of in between things that can happen during this course of action.

Also, @ImYourN1ghtm4re and @UnlimitedSnaky, I really like discussions and exchanging ideas. I’m not “arguing” with anyone here. I sincerely like to read other peoples thoughts, and that’s why I tend to write long comments that I put a lot thinking into it.

And if you guys gonna completely discredit every single thought, piece of opinion and everything else that I wrote here just because I don’t have the definitive edition of the game yet, then fine. I probably don’t want to share my thoughts with people with this kind of attitude anyway.

2 Likes

That’s why I disappeared or stopped arguing with @ToroidalLeaf69. It will take you nowhere and everything is on the table now. Idk

I agree with you N1ghtm4re and UnlimitedSnaky that he’s arguing in bad faith and ‘for the sake of it’. I would have my doubts but as he said earlier, he doesn’t even own DE.

Devs if you’ve scrolled to the bottom and are reading this I recommend:
A) Developers, a CALL TO ACTION. Mutliplayer needs FIXING! - for why custom ranks is important
and
B) Devs, please separate Multiplayer Ranks! The 1v1 crowd want QS, 2v2/3v3 want custom! - To see why we want seperate ranks…

Edit: DO NOT RESPOND TO HIM, we’ve refuted his silly points over and over but he just wanted to argue, IGNORE!

2 Likes

What difference makes if I own the definitive edition or not? I still have the Asian Dynasties, with is pretty much the same game. You really think I would spend that much time writing about I game that I don’t own or don’t care?

Honestly I feel like you guys got frustrated because you couldn’t answer my arguments properly and got some excuse to try stop discussing.

Deccan the highest skill ceilling? Wtf, its the oposite.

There is a reason why pr18 players in TAD used to play only deccan, and pr30+ never played it…

2 Likes

In game ranger vanilla people would often ask players to state was short terms stand for like: what mean tp, and if you don’t answer trade post you get kicked.

It is ridiculous, as if playing the game in a different language not knowing English abbreviation makes a player bad or knowing them good.

So if there is no unranked elo then we will have to deal with this bull****, since there is no way of getting balanced games besides stating : no noobs or med skill or pro only or noob++ and it is left for the people joining to judge their own skills plus absurd tests as mentioned above.

Just play on matchmaking, or if you want to host a game, do it with with a name like “3v3 1200+”. Now that you can check people ratings in the lobby, thats not a issue anymore.

if you never played ranked games then your rating does not reflect the true skill of the player. a player playing unraked loobies all day for lets say a year that has not played a single ranked game after his initial placement a year ago will have massively different skill then his elo shows.

This has already been discussed and addressed in this thread if you actually took the time to read it.

You can find further information here:
A) Developers, a CALL TO ACTION. Mutliplayer needs FIXING! - for why custom ranks is important
and
B) Devs, please separate Multiplayer Ranks! The 1v1 crowd want QS, 2v2/3v3 want custom! - To see why we want seperate ranks.

Stop trying to rehash the same silly points we’ve already addressed several times. This thread has reached it’s logical conclusion; there’s no point going over old points. Everyone has had their say, the devs must decide.

2 Likes