European rework

I would argue the opposite of @HoopThrower. It’s probably a huge buff if you can sprawl your base out and get speed bonuses all across the map, including up to your forward base.

AoE3 already alters the texture of the ground underneath buildings, I wonder how hard it would actually be to implement something like this…

1 Like

Dans une optique défensive je dirais ou, dans une moindre mesure, faciliter les déplacements des villageois, ce sont les deux options qui me viennent en tête.

I think the Zerg from SC2 would like a word with you. (Please read this as a lighthearted joke)

The only European buildings that should get new models:

• Maltese Church
  • Manor Houses
  • Haciendas in Exploration Age

Regarding units, Royal Guard units already get unique skins, and that’s enough. There’s enough stat distinction to justify the cosmetic discrepancy. Identical units having different skins, though, is just a way of murdering readability even further in a franchise that suffers from it.

European civs are the most played because they are the most easily readable and accessible to learn the game through. Keeping them that way is a game design necessity.

We’ve seen foliage react to units moving through it. Wouldn’t count on a way of making ground textures change dynamically the same way, though. I think the way AoE4 did it was a way of compromising. What I would find interest in is adding dust clouds in the wake of moving units.

2 Likes

Also Spanish Haciendas should have Spanish voicelines

buildings have voicelines?

The wagons do have voice lines as far as I know, but not buildings.

To be fair mexican units have accents that barely can be read as mexican and spanish units have accents that barely can be read as spanish so it’s not easy to tell.

2 Likes

Which ones?? As Spaniard I have never heard anything out of place

I neither find it out of place. The only one that feels very bad is Simon Bolivar

Simón Bolivar doesn’t sound like someone who knows spanish at all. But neither the spanish nor the mexican units sound voiced by people from those countries. If anything they sound like voice actors trained to do the “generic” accent with a slight chicano tinge for the Spanish civ and the mexicans being vaguely venezuelan.

Also, they say 'abastecedor/a" instead of “recolector/a”

And the mexican hero sounds awkward when he says “se necesitará mas que eso para mantenerme abajo”

I am almost sure someone messed up when scripting the mexican general and they forgot to record the knock out voice line.

The ships are also missing the ocean wave sound effect when moving them but that’s more nitpicky than anything else.

I think one of the European civs that deserves a rework is the French civ. In a sense, the French civ has three key stages in its history encapsulated: the Kingdom of France, revolutionary france and Napoleonic France.
By default, the French civ should be based on pre-revolutionary France, while any post-revolutionary content should be moved to “French Revolution” option and their Napoleonic Era upgrade.

Cuirassier could be moved to the Napoleonic Era and replaced by the Royal Horseman, which would become a unique unit of the French civ. Royal Musketeer would become a unique French civ unit in place of the standard Musketeer.

Royal Musketeer and Royal Horseman would be replaced by these units in House of Bourbon:

1. Vendée Insurgent
  2. Breton Royalist
3 Likes

This seems unnecessary, all the civs are a mishmash of different eras where they were most prominent and France is one of the more well done ones.

Cuirassiers represent both early Gendarmes and Napoleon’s elite cavalry. Royal Horsemen are kind of a dud of a unit so they aren’t a better replacement. Literally every royal court had imperial lifeguard cavalry and they should intuitively be a royal house unit.

Royal France is also represented by the Bourbon royal house in addition to the main civ so it isn’t necessary to cram in everything into the civ itself.

Chouans is a better name for this. And it should be an outlaw, not a native unit. It could appear on the France map by default, and the Chouannerie upgrade at the house of Bourbon could also enable it once researched so that it is more widely available.

2 Likes

How would you even portray Revolutionary France in the first place?

Like you Guillotine ur own units or…?

4 Likes

100%, you guillotine your explorer.

1 Like

Tereur, can sacrifice a unit all unit within x ammount of range gain a combat bonus for a small amount of time.

levee en masse, the more of a specific unit you train the cheaper it gets up to 15 %.

National guard.

Rights of the citizen and mankind.

There could be a lot here. Frankly that many things of these are locked behind the really lackluster french revolution concept saddled with sanscoulottes economy is frankly a shame.

It’d be actually probably better if the French revolution would be a normal age up that adds in like the federal system of mexico and the US cards.

From a game perspective, I would do things like:

• all buildings become half destroyed and the Fort is completely destroyed
  • 3/4 of all units die and those that remain have half life
  • all resources are mostly lost
  • your military units attack your civilian units by default

Oh so you immediately lose the game cool.

6 Likes