Farming & Trading & Ressource avaliability

The other day when I saw the video of the rework of AoE I was so hyped. I’m still hyped and waiting for one of my childhood games take over strategy games nowadays.
I also asked myself some questions related to how will farms work now and how will the trade be stablished. As we remember the trading was completely different in AoE I than in AoE II and I really liked how it was stablished in AoE I. Also what about the quantity of ressources avaliable, if it will change or it will be kept the same. That will turn the game of being centered in micro army management or be turned to a greater army management.
Sorry for my english :slight_smile:
Greetings!

Hi !
I don’t remember the trading system of AoE I
How was it different from AoE II ?

If we talk about the trading ships that go from dock to dock, you exchanged a material (Wood, Food or Stone) for gold. In AoE II you directly obtained gold and the only fact was how far was the other dock or market from yours.

As there are maps where there is only inland, no water at all. It would be great if there was some way of converting our market to a trading market too. Not merely for upgrades purpose.

I also like the AoE1 system and I hope they keep it that way. AoE2 way of creating gold from nothing is a bit unrealistic. But I think there should be some way of getting gold in land maps too, so perhaps trade carts could be added. They should not be as efficient as ships though.

I hope they conserve the maritime trading system and ad an earth trading system vehiculized by carriages like AoE II. However, it would be better (I think) if it shared the same mechanic as maritime (trading either food, wood, or stone for gold). It would make earth-only scenarios more dinamic, specially in the late game.

Aim at the wood villies, always aim at the wood willies as there is no other resource someone will trade for gold xD. Hitite catapult destroy forest wickedly

Yes guys, that would be great. Hope they higher ups can read the post. It should maintain AoE I theme, generating gold from “nothing” is too unrealistic, true. It will keep the mood that the only ressources are the one within the map, so you better use them correctly or have fun being catapulted xD
ftw FDC KrNaGe, real deal, those Hitites hahahah

Also according to the ressources I meant, if they increase the population within game they should increase how much each ressource has. For example, in AoE I trees gave 50 of wood, we all know how deforestation was in AoE I & in AoE II, the difference was the amount of army you were going to build and the economy you needed it to hold that army. Give a check to economy in new AoE I, just in case :slight_smile:

I like too the idea for Land market that work the same as the Ports some trading carts would be nice too but ofc not only to generait gold like Aoe 2 it would be really good also if they make a mechanic to sell/trade units with the markets to other players in exchange of resources ofc i think its kind broken but ofc not for low price and the reason i like to see that is maybe if you are under siege and need fast units and you have no time or the buildings to make new units its one fast way to save yourself maybe at least 1 time .

I love the idea of land trade just to make traiding viable on all maps. But keep the classic trading system, no AoE2 style ‘magic instant markeds’ and ‘unlimited gold’ carts.

I also hope they keep each tree at a value of 50 wood. Major deforestation’s that change the map drastically as the game go on is a big part of the charm in aoe1 - it’s like an ant simulator. Chopping wood felt kind of trivial in aoe2 (and particularly 3) as it only rarley changed how the map played, in aoe1 the map was changing all the time and it was great fun.

We’re sticking to the original trading systems of Age1. We’re trying to stick to the original core gameplay as much as possible :slight_smile:

@Cysion I see, but if they change the population limit there must be some other changes too. Or in the end it would only be a remasterized AoE I. You know that the 90% of people that are here are willing to pay for it, but we would like it to be more polished, remember AoE I is awesome, but had his flaws.

I completely understand sticking to the old trade system, but I still think there should be more gold around if the population limit is going to be increased significantly. Perhaps by adding more gold piles to the maps or by making each pile contain more gold.

@Cysion said:
We’re sticking to the original trading systems of Age1. We’re trying to stick to the original core gameplay as much as possible :slight_smile:

Good to know! For such gameplay changing mechanics, maybe another expansion down the line might be better for them…

@Known2Own4Sho Remember that we are trying to revive an old masterpiece, if they try to take advantage from him too much it can become a real mess. Becareful, we, the community can give you a hand :wink:

@Cysion said:

Happy to hear! :slight_smile:

Age of Empires was the only AoE game where they had a finite amount of resources per game. This meant that you couldn’t just ensure limitless flow of soldiers towards the enemy. Every loss counted and you couldn’t waste.

@Pontus have you ever played a 4h game in AoE II? if you don’t manage well your economy, at that time the resosurces of the map are gone… if you aren’t playing Black Forest, of course.
The ressources were modified to the amount of units that could be avaliable, “50/per player”

@Ravnico said:
If we talk about the trading ships that go from dock to dock, you exchanged a material (Wood, Food or Stone) for gold. In AoE II you directly obtained gold and the only fact was how far was the other dock or market from yours.

I did not even know this anymore, that sounds pretty cool indeed. Hope they keep it that way.