File xxx.smx uses an invalid filetype; some sprites will not display. This is likely caused by a mod

I also disabled all the mods with no effect

2 Likes

Thanks for testing it sweethearts

2 Likes

Hi again! @Jing1eWood @Jeffro2208 could you please attach here your logs too?

Logs could be found here: “C:\Users\USER\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs” and have this format “2022.01.20-18.28.40”

It is important to make sure that mods were disabled and game restarted.

Thanks in advance for helping us!

This has been fixed with the latest patch for me. However, this patch introduced other, more significant issues, like being unable to switch xbox accounts now on the Microsoft Store version.

This means my kids can’t play the game using their accounts online (whose idea was this anyway?)

Hi @Fuzalert !

Aw playing with you kids together this game thats so cute <3

Maybe in your kids’ PC there is a antivirus program installed? Could you uninstall it or add the game to the exception list?

I have not seen this issue in other players since the last update, I will pay attention to forums.

1 Like

2022.02.03-17.02.26.txt (10.1 KB)

After the latest patch, the game crashed at that point.

Oh, if there was a crash maybe you have mdmp too? The format is like: “AoE2DESteam-58115-2022.01.19-15.05.33.mdmp”

Thanks for your file! Adding it to the ticket ~

AoE2DESteam-58259-2022.02.03-17.05.36.mdmp (447.6 KB)

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking your time and uploading this ^-^

1 Like

WHY IS THIS STILL NOT FIXED? THIS IS 100% REPRODUCABLE ON ANY RYZEN 5XXX HARDWARE USING THE WINDOWS STORE VERSION WITH ENHANCED DLC.

I’ve got the same issue. I removed the mods but couldn’t solve it. So I uninstalled the Enhanced Graphics Pack, and reinstalled it. And that solved my problem, now it works.

3 Likes

Hmm so the only way i did get past these messages or errors, was

Unnistall every game cause it was more logical
set the folder to a new location, mine was D cause it wass a new NVME that was bought only for xbox pc gamepass app
Installed the game bit bi bit , main game, enter start a mission, then DLC’s , enter start a game , then the last was the 4k addon pack, enter start a new game, all went to shitte.

This also happened to me i must rise this concern, that i switched my PC , but wanted my NVME and data from the old one and did a samsung migration from 970 evo to 980 evo, from 3800X to 5600G.

So i pressume the 4k addon pack is creating this issue.

I unninstalled everything and then installed the game fresh without 4k addon, everything works fine, i will wipe my windows and everything cause i have a 4k monitor and not really happy by playing without the addon, i will let you guys know if this will fix the issue. If it does, then tinkering with the windows or moving data without uninstalling anything related to Microsoft i think damages some registry files. I did this one, but i removed, every game and deleted the xbox gamepass and this did not happen.

Yup same issue, even after windows reinstall the UHD pack does not funtion, maybe it is a ryzen 5000 issue, i also switched later the next day when i edited this, to a ryzern 5600X from 5600G and hyperx 3733 to corsair 3200 also the gpu changed from 3060Ti to 2060S , same issue occured UHD pack will give me the same message that sprites cannot render

1 Like

Same here. Year 2023… Fresh install from Xbox app on Windows 11 with no any other mods.

Same issue here, sprite issue. Cant see any sprites on screen, not possible to play the game, guessing its also the UHD as I have just installed it

Does the game work properly without the enhanced pack?

Hey yeah works fine without the enhanced pack, would be nice to use it though if possible thanks

Does the framerate of the game matches the framerate of your monitor? e.g if you have a 144hz monitor, try to set the fps ingame to 144.

@Felizon89 it would appear we have narrowed the issue down to being with the Enhanced Graphics Pack on the Xbox store for PC. I uninstalled the game after having this issue and reinstalled without the graphics pack, no longer having the issue.

1 Like