File xxx.smx uses an invalid filetype; some sprites will not display. This is likely caused by a mod

Getting the above error when running in UHD – installed it on a different PC with same results. Game missing assests - buildings, characters, etc.

Brand new install and no mods installed. Searched and apparently I’m the only one experiencing this – on two different PCs? Any suggestions?

2 Likes

I may have a similar problem. I have the steam app and the windows store app installed. I normally use the Steam app to play, but I wanted to see if there was a performance difference, and when I ran the Windows store app just now, I got the “File empty_x2.smx” error popup.

I’ll try running the game in Steam and see if I have the same problem.

I’m not sure what happened, but somehow I removed all my mods in my Windows 10 app, and then it started working. I then subscribed to mods 1 by 1. Hope this helps,

Could you clarify “removed all my mods in my Windows 10 app”? What app?

Thanks.

I was watching a replay that I recorded a few days ago in Capture Age. Paused CA at a random moment and went over to the actual game in the AoE window and it was saying this in a pop-up overlay:

Got another one after ending the replay:

These are the only mods I have enabled (see checkboxes on left):

I don’t see any mods that would/should be causing these errors? The string of 7 mods at the top of the list are campaigns. The replay I was watching was a multiplayer random map game (2 vs 3 AI)

Guess no one cares about helping us out here.

I just now linked to this from this thread:

Was there a solution to this? I formatted computer and tried to fresh install but as soon as I add the enhanced graphics I get this error?

1 Like

NEVER received a response.

@Ezilyamuzed are you still experiencing this issue? if you do then it would be very helpful to contact our Support team Submit a request – Age of Empires Support so we can investigate what is happening. Please include your DxDiag and logs. Steps to find those are here: How to find information for troubleshooting with Support – Age of Empires Support

Yes, WE ARE STILL EXPERIENCIONG THIS ISSUE.

THIS SEEMS TO IMPACT AMD ONLY PLATFORMS ON WINDOWS 10 using the Windows Store version of the game, AND GOES AWAY / COMES BACK DEPENDING ON AN OS UPDATE.

I forwarded this an issue a year ago internally (former MS employee) and still no patch/fix/update.

PLEASE FIX THIS ALREADY.

2 Likes

Hi all!

Sorry for the delay, we are now tracking this issue!

Could you provide more information? When does this happen to you? Only with replays?

Could you add here a video or your logs of the day where this happens? Logs could be found here: “C:\Users\USER\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE\logs” and have this format “2022.01.20-18.28.40”

Thanks!

I encountered this error for the first time. Here is my log.
2022.01.22-16.14.58.txt (56.9 KB)

1 Like

I have this issue on Steam, Windows 11.

Only with replays?

Are you joking? Where on the above does it say it’s only for replays? It’s FOR EVERYTHING. The game literally is broken with the UHD texture pack and this bug has been reported for over a YEAR now.

This happens 100% of the time, ALL the time, with UHD enabled. Not a random time of the day.
2022.01.23-10.45.54.txt (66.1 KB)
AoE2DEMSIXVC-56005-2022.01.23-10.45.49.mdmp (399.9 KB)

Sorry for being rude but this is beyond frustrating.

Hi again!

Thanks for your files and extra info, we have added them to the ticket.

In the meantime I recommend you to verify your files. In Steam, AoE - Properties - Local files, just to be sure that everything is fine on your side

Hello

I am having the same issue running the game through the Xbox app in Windows 11.

Have played the game without issue the same way Sep-Dec 21 using Windows 10.

Please advise steps to fix

Hi all,

Can you try to disable your mods, restart the game, and see if the issue is still present?

Let me know what happens please!

To be fair, I said above that my .smx error occurred while watching a replay: “I was watching a replay that I recorded a few days ago…”. And for me, I own the Steam version, not the Windows Store version. And I wasn’t using UHD.

So, the issue as a whole seems more nuanced or has a wider breadth than just “UHD + Windows Store version + Win OS update = .smx error.” Even though that may cause it 100% of the time for you, there were more recipes that caused it a year ago (as evidenced by my encounter with it), and probably still are.

It was a perfectly valid question for them to ask. Nobody said it’s only during replays; they were just trying to see if it might be a factor or commonality. At the moment they asked, there was scant info provided by anyone else but you and me in this thread… and your post didn’t explicitly say it was not during a replay. (Not saying it wasn’t a replay could mean it was.) And we don’t know what they did or didn’t receive through their support request form. I’m sure your note a year ago was detailed and informative, but did it clearly delineate that it was not during a replay? Either way, they’re probably just trying to see the current state of things, since a lot can happen over a year. Especially considering all the updates and patches they’ve done. What if they fixed the issue at some point over the past year but it has resurfaced with different causes now? You, yourself, said the issue comes and goes. What if there are more reasons for that than just ‘WinOS update’? Might as well ask questions to try and rule things out.

As for replays, I don’t really bother with trying to watch replays anymore, and rarely record my games anymore because since at least AoE2:HD, each and every patch can and often does break replays. Despite multi-year feedbacks for that to be fixed, I’m not holding my breath. I still save replays on occasion, and if they happen to fix the issue and they work 10 years from now, that’ll be awesome. But I know for now, there’s no hope in them working after about 3 or 6 months. Personally, my main purpose of recording games is to watch them years from now and reminisce… not watch them a few weeks or months from the time I record them. (In case you wonder why I wrote this last paragraph, it’s an anecdote for the devs, not you :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Disabled mods, restarted the game, and the same issue happend.

2 Likes