For an upcoming Age of Empires game post AOE-4, would Caul be the time frame to focus on?

That was partly AoEO in its development, originally it was going to be called AoE 4 and it was going to be a kind of reboot-remake of AoE 1, but since they didn’t want to make the same mistake as with AoE 3 and also that it was going to be an MMORTS, they decided make it a spinoff and then reserve the name AoE 4 for a game in the 20th century that never came or might have come in 2017…

aoe4 basically is a soft reboot more so than a true sequel imo
but they ensured to use the most popular period for max potential success

We hope that after this they will head towards another historical period for aoe 5 and not stay with just the Middle Ages…

1 Like

The next AOE game should have similar graphics to this game.

Let’s be frank. Many of us hope for something similar.

2 Likes

That would be so unreal

I don’t want to be so critical, but with the latest censorship that occurred on the forum, I am so upset that I no longer have the inhibition to say what I think:

• “If Relic hadn’t been in charge of making AoE IV, maybe it would have had graphics like Bannerlord, or even Manor Lords”.

Yeah, These ###### designers believed that we would like a “Empires Apart” graphic style, at the same time that “AoE III DE” was in development, with very good quality, and released just a year before the premiere of the AoE-IV.

How did it occur to them to give it worse graphics than AoE III DE? Because at the beginning the background of the scenarios was horrible, there was not even a zoom of the map, and it took several seasons to fix it. Covid’s fault? I DON’T KNOW, but Does it matter? I don’t believe it. We are consumers and it is obvious that we have the right to criticize if a product does not satisfy us.

I say all this because in the future, I feel that NOT MATTER what era is proposed for a theoretical AoE5 or AoE-V:

• “If they hire a creative studio again that makes such important technical decisions and takes so many seasons to fix the errors, people will simply NOT buy the game, because the “thorn” that was the release of the game already exists. AoE IV, which came out even without an Editor and with some huge bugs and they are not going to step on the stick again.”.
1 Like

I have no idea if and when a mainline Age game (AoEV) would ever be released, but AoEIV was a blow to that prospect. Do not expect any aoeV any time soon. And for the old fans who got to see the development of the series title to title, it’s a shameful display watching the latest game bear the title 'AoE - IV ’

2 Likes

Yeah, but that’s not the reason you’ve started doing this in every thread, is it? The product has little to do with your motivations.

Anyhow, your opinion is noted, but ultimately it’s pretty subjective. Take Bannerlord (a game that’s currently more expensive than AoE IV), the strategic map obviously doesn’t look as detailed as a regular RTS map, and the third-person gameplay has great models, but the scale and scope of the map means the environment detail suffers (a bit like Total War).

Or Manor Lords, which hasn’t even released yet. Looks great! But it’s coming out nearly three years after Relic did, and has different minimum hardware specifications.

It’d be cool to guess at what an AoE V might look like, but you’re stuck throwing shade at IV because some off-topic politics nonsense that has nothing to do with game itself :slight_smile:

I could also talk about the motivation of other users (you, for example), but the truth is that would be subjective, disrespectful and in fact it would even be harassing, especially if it has nothing to do with the topic. If you are not going to have the courage to attack me directly for fear, then you are the scared one, I do not hide my opinions. I leave this here because it was spoken against me, I am not going to involve the issues of the game with personal affairs or stalkers.

Note: I received a system alert that someone is trying to delete everything I post by report, so in theory I do have stalkers. The worst thing is that I already have an idea of who they are. Seriously, get a life, and if you can’t win with arguments, censoring only shows you’re sore losers. As far as I know, this is to talk about AoE IV.

About the graphics of a possibly AoE-V

To add weight to my review: Not only Manor Lord, Bannerlord (2022), AoEIII DE (2020), which came out a year earlier, and Spellforce III (2017), have better graphics that AoE IV in their launch. And Bannerlord will not be an AoE style RTS, but with its medieval mod it achieves more representation of the Ottomans, than what several users have been asking for for more than a year for the missing Horse Archer.

AoM Retold looks beautiful with its new graphics, and apparently it will even have extra fauna per biome or map. When will AoE IV have the same?

At least for the AoE 5, regardless of the era, I would hope that at least the developers in charge would are up to the task, so we would have graphics like AoE III DE or even AoM Retold in its teaser, and that they would learn from the mistakes of AoE IV at its launch, and from done to date.

Replying to someone on a public forum is not harassment. I’m just sharing my opinion, and if you decide that it’s not that impressive, I fully respect that.

1 Like

Telling someone in a public forum or on the street that everything they think has other motivations doesn’t sound nice at all, you know. Did you want me to take it as a joke? Well, if it really has no political motives, i’m verry sorry if I confused your intentions, or if you were worried.

Of course, all my criticisms of the graphic quality are real, other things are that I reserved them for so long out of respect for not wanting to damage the reputation of the game, but as things are now with “No updates or events in sight”, and the way a certain other conflict was handled on the forum, I think I can’t keep quiet anymore, especially as a consumer, about asking for more improvements to the game or a certain level of quality for future games.

I’m not saying you have “other motivations”. You have motivations, everyone does. I do, obviously (generally speaking it’s “keeping to the topic without derailments”, even though I guess this counts as a mini-derail). And this quote right here is why you’re posting why you’re posting. It’s not the state of the game, that hasn’t changed. You’re freely admitting it relates to a certain conflict, I’m just pointing that out.

That’s all I can say to explain it really.

If that’s all you wanted to say, then it offends because it’s a blatant insult: It’s not okay to point at people on street or in a forum, and say that someone else’s argument has certain motivations, it’s offensive in any context, political or even social: It’s like telling a woman that if she goes out with a man it’s for “certain motivations” in front of her friends or telling a co-worker that he works in the company for “certain motivations”, and not to him in person but in a general chat with many coworkers. You make other people look bad. Don’t do that, it’s not polite, nor okay, in any context.

I’m not going to answer any more because it would lengthen the off-topic topic more than necessary, and the topic is about AoE-V. Any further lengthening of the discussion I will simply consider sp4m. If you really had no bad intentions, maybe I’ll forget the offense, but don’t do it again.