French are broken

This^ and you know I am about to make tihis post longer than 20 characters because of our overlords! :white_heart:

They aren’t op now from what has been experienced at Genesis barring their water, but they are clearly top 2-3 civ, they only struggle a bit because of mongol/Abbasid springald spam

2 Likes

That hulk nerf worries me to be fair. It just seems so much easier to give then galleys age2 instead.
Now as French ppl have to spend 500 ressources on a slow weaker ship to contest water. I hope they know what they are doing with these tweaks

1 Like

tbh balancing hulk is probably easier otherwise they would have to remove one of the french naval ships which would be a whole other issue (or they could have more ships than other civs and rework the grid hotkeys for docks).

I think making it cheaper but much weaker could work as long as its viable on early game, I would like to see it being weaker on age3 for France too so galeass becomes more viable as right now the only use for it is to get the mastery achievement.

1 Like

They will probably nerf the Hulk in Feudal age. Then at Castle age the French can get an upgrade to bring it at full power again i guess.

And yes the French winrate on genesis wasn’t high. But that’s because the entire tournament was based on countering the French. That already says enough about this civ.

2 Likes

It doesn’t say anything other than what everybody already knew: the french are easy to play and streamlined compared to other civs. They’re much easier to understand and for this short period since release, it’s obvious people are going to do well with them. The fact that, despite the massive play rate during and before the tournament, they end up with a pathetic 25% win rate is indeed enough to say that they are nowhere as overpowered as everyone thought.

What is needed now is small probing tweaks to the streamlined french eco and not sweeping huge nerfs I see in this forum.

To be fair if they nerf it I would prefer french Hulk to remain weaker in castle age 2 so galeass becomes more viable.
They could make it an arrow ship and call it light hulk thst way they could reduce its cost too

Did you even read what i wrote? I guess not. The ENTIRE tournament was based on countering the French. These players practised for weeks coming up with a strategy to counter this specific civ. It’s only logical the winrate was that low. It was also the most picked civ. Just because their winrate is low in a tournament doesn’t mean they are in a worse state. There is still no civ out there that can compete with the French on many points

1 Like

Mostly the French had a lower winrate because people at the highest level have been able to figure out how to deal with French feudal aggression and the French don’t have good answers to the current OP springald push that Abbasids and Mongols can pull off in the castle age.
French are still clearly a top 3 civ but on any map that wasn’t boundary bay or hill and dale Mongols were the #1 civ this patch.
It’s less the French aren’t op, it’s just that infantry building springalds are more op right now.

Most of the strategies weren’t specifically about players countering French, as shown by all the top players opinions, French is usually put as A tier civ along with English and maybe Abbasids, while all the pros now consider Mongols by far the best civ (excluding bay and islands). Pros have learned to deal with feudal aggression bumping France and especially Rus down the tier list.

Yeah you’re completely and utterly WRONG. Everyone is ranking them below mongols.
Play rate is showing how popular a civ is due to perceptions not to facts. Learn to know the difference before convincing yourself that the facts are wrong and your perceptions are right.

Ah ok so if some Youtuber is rating Mongols above French it instantly means Mongols are better? I don’t remember any balance patch. Do you? And as far as i remember the French were S tier for a VERY long time.

The only reason they are sitting “below” mongols is cuz of the Tournament. That still doesn’t say anything. French are far superior with all their passive bonuses and unique civ mechanics. There is no way you can deny that.

Like lol dude. I didn’t hear you come in here and talk about Mongols before the Tournament.

The “some youtuber” is several players of the tournament including the winner. All ranking mongols above french. And all the casters. It was so obvious, mongols was being slept on and french vastly overrated.

And again, nobody is saying french is fine, they are whoever nowhere near as OP as everyone believed.
You may however continue fighting your useless windmills, I couldn’t care less.

1 Like

You obviously do care cuz you keep coming back here trying to prove me wrong lol.

French are getting nerfed on several points. It’s been confirmed by the Devs. And there is reason for that. But keep listening to Youtubers all you like meanwhile.

Prove you wrong? You can’t even comprehend basic facts, it’s impossible to “prove you wrong” lol. I’m just pointing out you’re wrong and you’ll be most likely not like the upcoming balance patch. The only confirmed nerfs are the broken Hulk. French need further nerfs to their land army but you can forget about the silly overnerfs people are talking about.

Nerfing the Hulk is already huge. What are you even talking about. Right now you can barely play water maps cuz of this. It’s either you play French yourself or Alt F4.

There will be more nerfs but all that is bonus.

And now stop ranting pls. It’s starting to annoy me. Go watch cool youtubers or something