Further developing the "select all..." feature

One of the new features I really love in DE is the ability to select multiple versions of the same thing with the click of a button, like select all military buildings, select all rax, stables, castles etc… select all military units and so on… Its a very useful feature and I use it in all games.

This got me thinking, does anybody else feel that this could be expanded upon? It would be awesome to have options also for the following:

. Select all cavalry units
. Select all foot archer units
. Select all infantry units
. Select all cav archer units
. Select all siege units
. Select all monks
and so on…

What do you guy think? Discuss…

7 Likes

Before those “select all” changes I used to have a hard time keeping constant production in late game. If I didn’t have all my production buildings in the same place where I could focus my attention only a couple of my buildings were producing.
Now it’s so easy that even a barracks built on the back of my base in feudal age is still being working with little effort from me.

I was bad in multitasking (and I still am to be honest) and instead of improving myself, the game was made easier for me. The game’s micro-managing complexity is in a good spot right now. I don’t actually like that direction and I hope no further automatization is added.

2 Likes

hmm fair enough. I don’t personally see it this way. but ok.

I think it’s a good idea. If not this there should at least be an option to add or remove units from the Select all Land Military Units and Select all Visible Land Military Units hotkeys, so each player gets their own use out of it.

It’s unfair that some players can use Select All if they’re using 1 unit type (or certain units/strategies it favors like Goth Spam for example) and others can’t, purely because they’re using different units or a mix of units.

With Trebuchets, if you don’t use them you get access to Attack Move and can have all your units fighting at once and reinforcements won’t be cut off because you can spam Select-all Attack-Move constantly.
See my topic about Attack Move: Please add Attack Move and Patrol commands when Trebuchets are selected with other military units

1 Like

Funny enough I just played the new AOE3DE and they have included this very feature. You can select all infinitely, all cav, and all arty at the press of a button. If its good for one game I say its good for the others, hope the devs at this in.

2 Likes

I think it could be a good addition to the game. My only concern would be players constantly pausing the game, in order to re-arrange these hotkeys.

Lets say you are playing Tatars and you open Maa into archers. You play with your two hotkeys for infantry and foot archers. Then in the late game you want to go Hussar + CA, but you wanna keep using the same 2 hotkeys as before, so you pause the game and change them. (And this could be done by every player in the same game)

Honestly I wouldn’t mind that much about that, but I think it’s worth pointing out. I still wouldn’t mind this being added.

me neither. This could be a good idea. I hope they add something similar because in big imperial wars things can get messy. They are going to add michi in this upcming patch so this is necessary for people like mw who love that map and use massive armies.

I think it makes sense to have this capability, but I’d far prefer just having the ability to select all idle villagers in the vicinity or on the screen first, as has been discussed before.

• I propose using the ALT key as a modifier for this. ALT + Double-click any villager (idle or working) and it selects all idle villagers in the area.
  • ALT + Drag-select over any units, and it grabs all the idle villagers. (This latter one could be useful when you have one or two villagers lost somewhere among a group of 40 military units and you can’t find them.)

This is already ingame. You have to change your configuration for double clicking a villager. By default it selects all villagers on your screen, but you can change it so that it only selects idle vills.

1 Like

Just Yes… (20 char)

I don’t see where this is? Do I have to choose Definitive Hotkeys? I don’t like those and prefer HD Hotkey layout. I’m afraid if I pick Definitive Hotkeys just to look, any customizations I’ve done to HD Hotkeys will get erased.
(Which makes we wish there was an in-game way to save your key bindings; and maybe have a few that you can save off for easy loading or switching.)

Plus, even if it were possible somewhere, that’s not exactly what I’m looking for. I still want/need the ability to select all villagers with a double-click, so the two options need to co-exist. That’s why I suggested the ALT key as a modifier for idles. And, of course, I’d want it added to the HD Hotkeys area.