Game civilitzations

They’ll probably make a campaign only civ like all the Campaigns in AoE III having non-playable civs. I imagine early Rus with some unique units.

4 Likes

The Baltic region was not part of the HRE but of the Teutonic Order. Even the later Prussia was never part of the HRE.
The Western Parts of the HRE weren’t French back then, they only become French much later. Even to this day there are some German speaking people in Eastern France.

The Holy Roman Empire is not much different than the Chinese Empire. China also still has other ethnicities in their central area, especially in the south to this day.

Same with the Delhi Sultanate that ruled areas from todays Pakistan all the way to southern India. Those regions are still culturally diverse today and even more so over 500 years ago.

Just because you know Europe better and those cultures are independent countries today doesn’t mean they are more diverse.
Dutch and German are very similar languages and also everyone used to share the same religion (Catholic Christian) in the Middle Ages in Europe. While China and India had more religions, language and cultural diversity.

This is why I’m happy they didn’t give us an “Indian” civilisation, because that would be like combining all Western Christian (Catholic after the Great Schism of 1054) Civilisations into one Civilisation.

AoE1

• 12 civilisations
  • 1 unit set
  • 3 architecture sets
  • 1 voice set
  • 0 unique units

AoE2

• 12 civilisations
  • 1 unit set
  • 4 architecture sets
  • 11 voice sets (Goths and Teutones share voices)
  • 1 unique unit per civilisation (Exception are the Vikings with 2)

AoM

• 3*3 civilisations
  • 3 unit set
  • 3 architecture sets
  • 3 voice sets
  • The Greeks have 1 unique units and some of the mythical units and heroes are unique to certain Major Gods.

AoE3

• 8 civilisations
  • 1 unit set
  • 3 architecture sets
  • 8 voice sets
  • 2-3 unique units per civilisation

AoEO

• 2 civilisations
  • 2 unit sets
  • 2 architecture sets
  • 2 voice sets
  • almost all units are unique

AoE4

• 8 civilisations
  • 8 unit sets
  • 4 architecture sets
  • 8*4 = 32 voice sets (the voice sets change every age)
  • 1-4 unique units per civilisation

English with 1 unique unit (the Axe Man). All other units we saw when they talked about “Vikings” are English.
Probably because they are not Vikings at all. Danish settlers that moved there centuries ago and already have been christianised and Scandinavian armies lead by Christian kings. Definitely not Vikings.
If the Campaign cut scenes will be anything like the trailer it will just make people dumber instead of teaching them anything.

I don’t want to have to read up what actually happened after I played a campaign about a part of history that I don’t know well enough yet to check if what they said is correct.

4 Likes

isnt that exactly WHY it makes sense? it covers many nations, so only 8 being starting nations is fine.

well… we may not talk about leaks here. But suppose that MS already confirmed that they want each civ to play pretty differently, and what we got so far, it seems likely :wink:

brits being classical age, china having their dynasties, Mongols as you said and delhis research focus, all 4 of them seem quite diverse

4 Architecture Sets: East Asian (Chinese), Central Asian (Babylonian), Middle Eastern (Egyptian), and Mediterranean (Greek).

13 Civilizations: Britons, Byzantines, Celts, Chinese, Franks, Goths, Japanese, Mongols, Persians, Saracens, Teutons, Turks, Vikings.

Don’t forget getting voice acting for all the mercenaries and minor natives that didn’t speak a language spoken by a major civ, they amount to just shy of 20 units each with a unique voice.

1 Like

who said that?
although i am not if i would appreciate that

Sorry my mistake, it’s 8.
At last that’s what we can assume. Maybe European Civilisations have a shared Dark Age Architecture set but we don’t know yet.

You’re right.

I guess I mixed that up with AoE1.

It’s hard to count that. In AoE3 most units of the same civilisation have slightly different voices and sometimes say slightly different things. In AoE2 all milliary units have the same voice and also Cavalry of all civilisation makes animal noises.

The Mercenaries and Minor Civilisations only have one voice for one unit and not a full voice set.
It’s hard to count, each major civilisation has more than AoE2 ones but each minor civilisation has less.

My best guesses would be the Danes/Vikings/Normans.

And maybe even the Germanic tribes, the Germans being more of the tribes type of approach they can represent all the different tribes of that era where England was in it’s infancy.

My personal fav longshot is the Rome. My reasoning behind this is that we see they very beginning of the English and even the Mongols, now this version of Rome could be early game focused mirroring their historical standing in relation to the events. Or we could see a late version of Rome, Rome could be based on the final couple of decades of the Roman empire just before the Huns descend on them.

Here is a outsider to consider, The Goths, they originate from somewhere in France, one of the only few people that Rome couldn’t enslave, they instead granted the goths their own piece of land but under Roman law, the Goths could be a interesting choice.

some factions had more than 3 unique units.

ottoman had: janissaries, abusgun, great bombard, spahi (and semi unique cavalry archer)

spain had: rodelero, war dog, lancer, missionaries

so while the start faction shared units (most had hussars, most had pikemen all had the same base art) the reality is that the factions really weren’t close enough gameplaywise to equal to AOE 2s “1 unit set”, its much more complicated than that.

I think it is important to have in civilizations:

• the kingdom of France
  • the Holy Roman Empire
  • Muslim caliphate surely for the Spanish reconquista or the crusades.

There was a lot of war between France, England and the Holy Empire which were the great powers of Europe in the Middle Ages.

1 Like

AoEO was unfinished at launch, so let’s do it a favor:

• 7 civilisations
  • 7 unit sets
  • 7 architecture sets
  • 7 voice sets (about 800 vocal tracks per civ)
  • almost all units are unique, many unique buildings and techs
3 Likes

On paper AOE 3 civs do not look very differentiated.

Yeah its really hard to count it as one set since its a revolving set of shared unit that not all have and then filling in the unique units.

I guess its just to say a musketeer looks the same for British as it does for Ports.
but the game feels like each civ is very unique.

Now the game has 16 civs and 8 unit sets (euro, japan, china, India, Haudes, Lakota, Aztec, Inca) is USA unique enough to count as half?

Yet AOE 2 has 37 civs and still 1 unit set.

2 Likes

Hre, Arabs, rus,french are another 4 civcs for sure I read it in reddit with civcs cards

1 Like

they need to have atleast 1 meso civ, the aztecs should be it, the most important and recongizable in the discovery of the new world

2 Likes

Imagine a Venice civ with canals instead of roads. :smile:
Or maybe buildings on water. It would be nice. (It must be a lot of work though balancing it, but I think it would worth it. Cmon Devs you can do it. :wink:)

1 Like

tbh, why would they at this point? if we have a mezo civ we also need an enemy for their campaign. I doubt it will happen before a dlc with a fitting thematic :wink:

2 Likes

Spanish would be nice

1 Like

Well there were lots of wars between Mayan city-states and between the Aztecs and… everyone.

2 Likes

yeah, but…to put it bluntly, very few in the western audience care about that.
And this is were they probably make the most money.
Also if anyone thinks medieval / middle ages, they most likely will be reminded of european style castles, holy crusades etc, not so much of mezo civ vs mezo civ wars.

Which is why I believe they may come, but as DLC.

2 Likes