Game crashed my PC with Windows not working properly since

@GMEvangelos Can you guys maybe have 1 person assigned to Social Media in order to give feedback from devs to us consumers?
It would be formidable for us to know when big issues, such as the one described in this topic, are acknowledged by the dev team. It would be nice to know if there are any answers as to what may cause such a bug to happen on our PC (is it the windows language, is it not?)
Cheers from a big fan of the AoE series who got scared by the extended silence regarding this issue.

3 Likes

“Extended silence”. They literally patched the bug a few days ago. No one, not even in this forum, esoc forum nor the many discords devoted to aoe3 has reported the problem since the last patch. All of you can play now, and hopefully the devs wont introduce another pc breaking bug.

1 Like

Why is the thread still pinned and this comment not replied to?

6 Likes

The hotfix patch notes read:

“Fixed a potential memory leak that could result in a crash and, in extremely rare cases when using certain mods, corrupt local, game-specific player profile files on Steam.”

To me, that doesn’t even remotely match the problem description that have been reported and I don’t understand why you perceive this hotfix addresses the system destroying bug. In fact, this particular system destroying bug has yet to even be acknowledged yet alone claimed to be fixed. But again, through their “extended silence” the community is left to wonder, so here we are.

5 Likes

Yes, the wording of the hotfix is vague at best, that is completely true. This whole problem is the devs’ fault and they should have worded this different to dissipate rumours. But think about it this way: after the pc breaking patch, the only big bug that was reported everywhere was the deleted files, and 2 days later they release the fix for only one bug that, while vaguely redacted, did talk about memory leaks and corrupted files. What other bug arose in those two days that needed that urgent fixing? None. So even if they redacted it like this, probably to protect themselves against legal action, to me the wording was quite clear on their intentions.

Also, and this is from a personal perspective that I hope can give reassurance to people that the game is safe to play for the time being, is that again, not even in this forum, nor the esoc forum, nor the official age of empires discord, nor in the wars of liberty, improvement mod, samurairevolution, mayorcete and other discords in other languages has anyone reported the bug after the patch, all the comments are from people asking if the bug is still present and it seems it is not. I had a friend who had the bug in her pc and since the patch she hasn’t had any problems. On my end, while the game still crashes sometimes, my operating system and files had been unharmed and the game is running smoother than ever. That is a big confirmation to me, but rest assured that everyday I check all of those places to see if it happens again.

3 Likes

yeah most likely the wording is to protect themselves from auto blaming which would be a confession.

3 Likes

Bruh
 Are you serious?

1 Like

I encountered a similar issue last week, but instead of my personal files, almost all my games and other programs got deleted. I was surprised and relieved to see that all my personal files were left untouched. I’m running the English version of the game, and I lost 300+ GB worth of programs.

I had just played a game of AoE3:DE, exited, and then had my PC hibernate. When I turned it back on, I lost most of my games and programs. I am not sure if it is just a coincidence, since when I installed and ran Malwarebytes, it found some Trojan horses (which I don’t know where I could’ve possibly gotten).

EDIT: So there was a patch released a few days ago, but I learned the wording was a bit vague. I had to reset my PC since I even lost Windows Defender, and I reinstalled AoE3:DE but I haven’t run it even once. I might uninstall it until I can get confirmation that that issue does not exist completely anymore.

EDIT 2: To add, I subscribed to two mods there: a mod that replaces Chinese and Japanese unit sounds, and the temporal anti-aliasing mod (I installed it before the update that exposed it in the in-game settings)

2 Likes

Can you tell us if this happened before or after the 5025 patch?

@GMEvangelos the last activity on your profile was 17 hours ago, yet you’ve let this thread (and the hotfix announcement thread) go on for 72 hours without reply. Based off your lack of communication, it’s easy to assume that you’re deliberately avoiding this topic for whatever reason.

Can you at least tell us if hotfix 5025 was intended to fix the c drive/system file deletion issue? No need to commit that it’s fixed; can you just clarify the intent of the hotfix?

2 Likes

Hello everyone! I have received clarification from the team about the fix implemented last Friday:

• Out of an abundance of caution, additional safeguards have been added to the mod manager to ensure player-created mods do not incorrectly alter the expected mod install path and only remove the files included with the mod when unsubscribing / removing them from the game.

Due to the complexity of the problem noted here, we ask that anyone directly affected—not those reporting on behalf of others—contact our support team so they can collect information and work with you directly in regards to the problem you are experiencing.

Edit: We also have another update scheduled for later this week with additional safeguards for potential incompatibilities.

Thank you all, again, for your diligence in reporting this issue, as well as your patience as the team works with those affected!

9 Likes

Hi,

Just for my clarification, does this mean this issue was related to user-mods?
I do not use special mods, is there reason to believe I am safe from this bug?

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.

I’m looking forward to a better communication line from devs to us players going forward.

Ha! Good one!

Even during beta, there’s usually zero feedback from the devs, even to very popular issues. The only reason they answer to this one is because it is disastrous and nobody’s gonna play a game that pretty much deletes your C drive.

This is fake news - no other word for it. Not a single report of this bug mentioned uninstalling a mod. Almost all victims reported that they were quick searching when the crash occurred. Not to mention that several new players, who have never touched a mod, also reported this crash.

I didn’t think my faith in Microsoft could stoop even lower, but it is clear I was wrong. I’ve worked with middle schoolers who were more professional.

4 Likes

spot on
 nothing to add there

1 Like

****** *** ****** ** *** ****** **** **** **** **** **** *** **** ****** ***** ******** **** ***** :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He said he checked for clarifications from what was fixed last patch. It doesn’t mean the issue in this thread has been resolved. I think they also don’t have an answer for this matter still.

Take a look at this quote from his post:

So I tested for this bug using a few Test Flow Diagrams I sketched up and out of 4 of my alienwares 0 experienced this “delete your PC” mythical error