Game crashed to desktop

Just to check, have you all updated your graphic card drivers?

@JexBall Yes, at least I did. Just begin looking for a memory leak in AoE2:DE, please.

I have 16 GB physical RAM, set swap to 24 GB RAM, and it still crashes with not enough memory messages showing up.

1 Like

Yes, I did. Iā€™m using the latest 441.41 released on 2019-11-29

can you have a look at the event log in Event Viewer (search in Windows start) > Windows logs > Application?

My problem is 0xc0000005 at offset 0x0000000000a276f1. See if itā€™s the same problem

Yes i got the same exception in my visor. I add some scr.

Iā€™ve had the same exception as well after a crash

I did not have time to look more into memory usage, but I noticed two things in the resource monitor.

1. The memory usage of AoE is fluctuating a lot (means: a lot of small memory requests to the system)
  2. A secondary process (svchost.exe LocalServiceNoNetwork -p) that uses ~4GiB of memory for a few seconds. Latter will fill up the swap if it is managed by the system and not enforced to a larger size.
    (Note that there is memory on stand-by that is not shown as used by the task-manager, but neither is free)

With the post of TranceInvasion my hypothesis is, that one of the many memory-allocations is rejected by the kernel; maybe due to both memory and swap being nearly full. If the memory is used anyway we get the segfault-crash. I could not test this fully yet, though.

1 Like

wow. this is so detailed on your part as a user. while I was just content to wait for the dev team :facepalm:

@SkilfulGlint214 have a look?

same issue for meā€¦when i purchased the game it crashed a lotā€¦then i closed all other programms and set my swap memory to 12 - 20 gbā€¦now itā€™s more consistent but crashes every maybe 2hā€¦
platform steam
latest build
8gb physical memory
same error log
aoe2de

Same here, it crashes ALWAYS after about 5-10m when playing multiplayer. Seems to be more stable when playing against AI only.
Fresh windows 10, all patches installed, AV disabled etc.
What is interesting is that I also have AOE I DE, it also crashes.
Interestingly there was time where AOE I DE was not crashing, then installed some windows updates and after that it started crashing again.
This happens across both PCs I have, which we are trying to use for local multiplayer.
Tried everything, no other games are crashing, just all AOE.

Ryzen 3600, 16GB RAM, SSD 1TB, AMD 390X 8GB.

This game is getting really frustrating and sincerely it is pissing me off. Why canā€™t any of the developers fix this fcking issue already?? Itā€™s been nearly a month ever since the release and still the game continues to crash after several updates. God the fcking d*mmit, fix this problem already!!

1 Like

I need to save every 20 seconds because the game close and the autosave is not from the game Iā€™m playing!! I hope they fix this soon because I am playing the 2013 game because I canā€™t play the new one like that, I loose all information from my actual game

My brother still has this issue everyday, while my pc runs it smoothly. With his pagefile set at 20 gb it seems to randomly crash every hour orso, before it crashed every 5 minutes. Upgrading ram from 12 gb to 16 gb didnt fix the problem. Some of the systems mentioned above are way better than my brothers so buying a better pc is too risky since the problem seems to be random.

Iā€™m also having this problem with my ā€œmeagerā€ 16gb RAM and 970mā€¦

I get this error as well, but only when playing on Ultra with Enhanced graphics pack.
I noticed that my RAM usage when playing the campaigns was at 97.6%ā€¦(16GB RAM)

crash1000

Just upgraded 8GB of RAM to 16GB of ram, no difference crashing every time as always.
No other game is crashing.

This is massive shame. This game is completely useless for me.
I am waiting for fix since release. I am requesting refund!

3 Likes

Same amount of memory and a Dell G3 17. The game even crashes on multiplayer with DLC enabled.

My brother ā€˜solvedā€™ his issue. He starts every game in windowed mode and then maximizes the window. Redo it for every game, no crashes so far. I dont see how it isnt luck but maybe worth a try.

1 Like

To all of you still having problems. A new build is coming out this month and I do expect that a lot of issues are solved as they must have received enough crash reports. I keep my fingers crossed of course but Iā€™m optimistic anyway. Still e.g. if you can upgrade your hard disk to the cheapest SSD of 512 GB itā€™s a no brainer regarding better performance and a faster system in general.

I have a M2 SSD : ) It still crashes marvelously