Game crashed to desktop

Intel Xeon E2286M

Even though it is in a laptop this core has a ton of power.

That confirms my assumption, I have a i7-9750H which is 12 thread, yours is even 16 threads.
As of yet no-one who has listed specs has had anything else than a hyperthreaded cpuā€¦
I inspected the process monitor and the game is only using a single thread, this seems to be the issue thenā€¦

I found that my case could be easily fixed by increasing the virtual ram size. I made my previous 8G virtual ram to 20G, then the DLC works fine now.

Is it me, or itā€™s even worse with the new build ? Had 7 crashes a few seconds into the Main menu before i was able to even click on anything today. Same thing with a friend of mine. He didnā€™t had any issues before today, but his game crashed about 4 times right after we started an online game together.

Build version 101.101.33059.0 4403463 on steam for both of us.

I mean, if the main menu canā€™t even load properly, this canā€™t be an issue about virtual ram or something like that ā€¦?

game crashes to desktop in campain, 40 - 45 min in. no lag, no freezing, no error message.
16gb ram, without the uhd dlc. happens every time

Same hereā€¦ Come on guys, i really want to throw this game in the trash for thatā€¦

Can you guys try doing a Disk Cleanup and also cleaning your Temp folder (%temp%) ?

Game uses too much RAM, fill it up, then starts using Page File on Storage (mineā€™s on a SSD)ā€¦ then at a point during a match, out of nowhere it starts loading something on the SSD (should take only about 1 or 2 seconds) for about 15 secondsā€¦ and crashes, closes the game.
Simply TOO MUCH RAM is being used, despite using the UHD mod or not.
The game should NEVER crash for lack for 8GB RAM the minimum says 4GB and recomended is 8GB.
Even the UHD mod says only 8GB.

Sounds like a memory leak then, although the threading isnā€™t contradicted eitherā€¦

1 Like

Your suggestion is not a real suggestion. If anyone has a 4K screen the game is unplayable without UHD, they just need to fix this ā– ā– ā– ā–  ā– ā– ā– ā–  already.

Edit: This was targeted at the dude who said turn UHD off

I get similar crashes. In the event log i found the last three to be a ā€˜segmentation faultā€™ (error code 0xC0000005). That means AoE tries to access memory that does not belong to it. From my experience itā€™s always a programmers fault, but also hard to track down.

Data from the event log (not translated)

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: AoE2DE_s.exe, Version: 101.101.33315.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5ddceae9
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: AoE2DE_s.exe, Version: 101.101.33315.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5ddceae9
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000a276f1
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x3350
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d5a6f098cf7edd
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\AoE2DE_s.exe
Berichtskennung: 76383272-b1d6-4092-bedf-c5de90f4c159
1 Like

Exact same crash, exact same error code, and exact same offset. Do you run the game on a vm?

Nope, normal win10.

After a second thought I disabled the possibly less promintent features (build-in grid and automatic-passive-stance) and did not have crashes since. Could you reply if you have/had any of those enabled?

I have none of these enabled.

and tbh, those crashes are really random. Sometimes I can complete 2 games without a single problem and when I think Iā€™ve finally solved it, it comes back and explodes right on my face. really ruin the day for me and my friends.

Ah. which reminds me. Itā€™s always the multiplayer games that crashes. Havenā€™t had any problem with a single player game (perhaps itā€™s because single player is lighter on resources? dunno)

(edit: I accidentally hit send before I completed)
Letā€™s try throwing in our specs too for some deductions:
Windows 10 1909 update
750Ti with the latest driver software as of 2019-12-01
12G RAM
AMD 3600

1 Like

I just had a crash with the changed settings. So I was just lucky yesterday. Iā€™ll attach the main-specs below, as well as the full DxDiag-report with all the details.
DxDiag.txt (122.4 KB)

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
                Page File: 10772MB used, 8401MB available
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
 DirectX Database Version: 1.1.2
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

--Graphics--
           Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
      Driver Version: 24.20.100.6286

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
      Driver Version: 26.21.14.4141
1 Like

and mine:
https://pastebin.com/CUVmeQYL

From what weā€™ve got now, the only common denominator is we both use Nvidia cards from 600-700 generation. It could be graphicā€™s problem. How about giving this a bit of audacity by starting a new thread? I have a feeling itā€™s going to be just ignored down here in the comments

Iā€™m too new a user to qualify starting a new thread, thatā€™s why Iā€™m asking you.

Have a good day!

i opened another thread, but i got the same problem.

I added some clips from stream where its possible to see how the game goes freeze and then close for no reason, no log, no exception, nothing to track, just the game close.

its not working for a 1060 user (me) either, so I reckon itā€™s not related to that.