Game crashes after 5 mins

Got a new laptop a few weeks back - some details below. I had previously been using an older model of this same laptop (HP 250 G7 Notebook) to play AOE2 DE without any issues.

System Model: HP 250 G8 Notebook PC
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GH
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Display: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics

As far as I’m concerned this meets the spec fine and passes the benchmark test no problem yet any time I try to play a game it will crash within 10 minutes - usually around the 5 min mark. It will play fine until that point, stutter for a few seconds then crash. I don’t get any error messages the game just crashes and back to desktop - this happens for both ranked and games against the AI. There is quite a lot of fan noise and when I go into the task manager the CPU and memory usage are high.

I’ve updated drivers etc. Is there anything can be done? It would seem odd that it works fine on an older model of the same laptop but not a newer one with better spec. The only other difference I can think of is that my newer laptop is Windows 11

2 Likes

Exact same problem. AOE2 consumes memory until it is all gone, then crashes. Runs for about 5 minutes.

HP EliteBook 830 G8, i5-1145G7 @ 2.60GHz, 32GB RAM, Iris Xe, Windows 10

I have already set graphics to the lowest setting.

A workaround is to roll back to an earlier Iris Xe driver.

Memory Leak/Crashing - Age of Empires II: DE / II - Report a Bug - Age of Empires Forum