Game prefrence: A Competitive OR Ensemble inspired RTS

@KrOjah said:

@Carnage said:
the poll is kind of pointless because it is assuming that competitive = shallow which cant be further from the truth. just look at sc2 or even age of empires online, which admittedly wasnt super competitive but at least way more competitive than other age installments while maintaining the same depth.

I wouldn’t mention a Blizzard game, tis a trigger to some children on these forums.

haha it appears so… but i dont really mind because the point is legit. and now that ive read a little bit more through this thread, others have mentioned it before me already. you cant make a poll and give only 2 options out of which 1 is totally nonsensical (competitive & moba like and shallow… wtf)

as andy said, it absolutely needs to be both. traditional aoe gameplay, yet balanced, fast paced, with a very high skill ceiling in terms of both macro and micro, yet a low skill floor. that way both casual players and competitive players will be able to find joy in aoe4. that is btw the most essential yet by developers so often ignored fundament of a great rts game. you want to design your game in a way that allows it to have a fairly low skill floor while having an as high as possible skill ceiling.

I quit this crap forum, i hope i never run on to any of you ever, especially in unmoderated reddit. Enjoy your Blizzardy of empires younglings.
[mod edited]

@NormChanger i think you are overreacting dude/sis. Chill out!!

@KrOjah & @Carnage & @NormChanger let me quote myself.

November 29: (1)

“…Also, add an option to edit so i can go back and edit what i meant with “today’s” competitive game and “Ensemble inspired [competitive]” game.I think there is a lot of misunderstanding of what i am saying and what some of you imagining.”

November 29:(2)
“…It seems to me that majority of non-English speakers caught that right away. Becasue I am too using a google/ bing translate and so are they. But even after saying same thing over and over, some of the members here are confused and ready to jump on the guns. But hey if this is the way to have a proper discussion then be it.”

Pretty much every Microsoft forum I have visited, they have unlimited edit ability. It is only this site where the edit is timed. I wanted to fix my explanation, but I couldn’t because of edit expiration. [please pin this]

That’s quite a strawman you’ve built over there. The poll you are discussing is, “Game preference” with two options, (1) Competitive or (2) Ensemble’s inspired RTS.

A competitive game is not necessarily one with any of those characteristics you described. AoE2 is competitive. AoM is competitive. AoEO is competitive.

Andy, you clearly didn’t understood the pool or my post. Let me simplify it for you: core AOE fans (including myselft) would never want AOE 4 with “moba type objectives, shallow, fast paced” Gameplay. That is just not Age of Empires in any way.

@Mehkind fair enough man, i hadnt read everything in this thread so yea, cheers.

@NormChanger said:
I quit this crap forum, i hope i never run on to any of you ever, especially in unmoderated reddit. Enjoy your Blizzardy of empires younglings.
[mod edited]

I remember you saying in another thread you stared with Ao3… Well. That was nearly a decade after I started with the series, kiddo.

I have found that the biggest change comes to games with the words “Fast Paced” or “Streamlined”
Often fan-base crushing in the hopes to add new and different players.
Not going to give examples because any one who can’t think of an obvious example or two will not get my point anyway.

@iDhante said:
I have found that the biggest change comes to games with the words “Fast Paced” or “Streamlined”
Often fan-base crushing in the hopes to add new and different players.
Not going to give examples because any one who can’t think of an obvious example or two will not get my point anyway.

Care to expand, because traditionally (lets go for the two first games of Aoe & AoE2) the series is very much on the high APM fast paced side of RTS.

If anything Relic developing this game will suit your mentality more as “traditionally” their RTS games are less multitask focused and less competitive.

I only play single player and use pause regularly… so APM is irrelevant to me
More multitasking for some might mean, for me, say … more depth to the tactics.
I hope it isn’t “Faster Paced” and “Streamlined” especially when it simply means there is, generally speaking, “Less” to the game.

So, KrOjah, I am not sure what you are getting at.

@NormChanger said:

Pretty mature.

@Augustusman said:

Pretty mature.
Dude it is better to not provoke, just let him/her leave.

@Mehkind said:

@Augustusman said:

Pretty mature.
Dude it is better to not provoke, just let him/her leave.

He started with his childish actitud. Many people here work hard to give us a great quality game.

The game should be a great Campaign with a Great Multiplayer.

With great multiplayer, competitiveness will come… but i have a few comments…

I’ve been an RTS follower since the days of Dune II and I pretty much have played them all, and to be honest I need a competitive multiplayer yet I don’t want a Starcraft II.

I understand a lot of people wanting stuff like SC2 in terms of multiplayer and ladder, but for those that have been playing RTS most of our lives we understand that SC2 took a different path when it comes to strategy.

SC2 right now highly depends on the meta builds and map pool, it’s highly unbalanced and that’s why it’s been receiving balance changes approximately every 3-4 months this tells you that the game has become routine instead of strategy.

I fear the days of games like SC:Broodwar that it reached an almost perfect balance and it didn’t require any more balance changes that opened it up to strategy.

Saying all that I expect from AoEIV a well rounded balanced game, I like the random generated maps, it can be punishing but it opens up for strategy, I don’t want to be playing like “So is this map I must go this build because is what is best for this map against this race/civ” I really miss the creativity of different strategies aside from micro and macro.

When it comes to micro and macro, sure is great on a high level competition but i don’t think the games have to come to that make it decisive, I think the strategy part should be more rewarding.

I’m confident we will have random generated maps with AOE4. It’s a trademark for AOE and Relic knows it.

@IamDalv said:
I’m confident we will have random generated maps with AOE4. It’s a trademark for AOE and Relic knows it.

I am with you mate.

@Augustusman said:

@Mehkind said:
He started with his childish actitud. Many people here work hard to give us a great quality game.

I don’t know, but you don’t have to finish it. Then what’s a difference between you and respectfully, @NormChanger . If it boost you alls self esteem then go for it.

@Mehkind said:

@Augustusman said:

@Mehkind said:

I don’t know, but you don’t have to finish it. Then what’s a difference between you and respectfully, @NormChanger . If it boost you alls self esteem then go for it.

in this case he need READ the rules to be gentleman here. Believe here are some kids that don’t respect anyone.

@Augustusman said:

@Mehkind said:

@Augustusman said:

@Mehkind said:

in this case he need READ the rules to be gentleman here. Believe here are some kids that don’t respect anyone.

Seems to me he came back. And that is good. More people means, more voices.

@Mehkind said:

@Augustusman said:

@Mehkind said:

@Augustusman said:

@Mehkind said:

Seems to me he came back. And that is good. More people means, more voices.

Yeah more voice of a kid rage, nice form to take us seriously.