Game spontaneously crashes after latest update

I spoke too soon! Hi folks, just an FYI that our team has found an issue that needs to be resolved before the update can be released. The patch will be rescheduled for a later date.

Our updates will always be announced on ageofempires.com, on our social media channels, and in Discord.

Are there any work arounds right now? Of my 3-man crew, no one else is having an issue except for me, and I have it every second or third game. Its getting really frustrating.

1 Like

Oh come on. Itā€™s been over two weeks now where the game has literally been unplayable.

The patch will be rescheduled for a later date.

Ok. When, exactly?

Youā€™re losing too much trust in your player base, where people are already talking about refunds.

5 Likes

I donā€™t have crash issues whilst running the ā€œenhanced logging betaā€ so can play single player fine. Trying to play without the beta leads to crashes in single player both campaign and skirmish games, and ranked multiplayer. There doesnā€™t seem to be any pattern in the timing of the crashes, the game just closes to desktop. Here are my MDMP files for the ranked games that crashed today.
AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.02.15-18.46.57.mdmp (457.3 KB)
AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.02.15-18.57.47.mdmp (483.0 KB)

this needs to be fixed, i crash every 2nd game
in the loading screen right away

Yea i refuse to play untill the games fixed, i dont even get past main menu anymore, imagin releasing more achievements, and trying to fix the moon walking bugs instead of a ā€œbugā€ that actuly makes the game unplayable, listen to the community please

I managed to stop my game from crashing by turning off my discord overlay, hopefully it helps you guys too assuming you have that on.

Unfortunately that doesnā€™t do it for me. I still get the crashes even with the overlay setting off and Discord completely closed or even uninstalled.

Developers should do weekly small updates so they can easly revert back tbh

1 Like

Same problem since last week.

Still getting the same issue. Unfortunately Iā€™m unable to upload my MDMP files, or any files because it says my account is still too new apparently. From what Iā€™ve seen from other peoples logs, Iā€™m getting the same errors. The following two appearing most frequently.

[rlink - error] 2023/02/18 23:39:59.308 (UTC) XboxPlatform::SetPresence not successful: XboxLiveContext is null

[rlink - error] 2023/02/18 23:40:02.696 (UTC) presence data missing

Hi, a friend is having problems with ā€œtampering detectedā€ message. Became worse after bios upgrade. Game crashes often. It only happens with Nvidia card (not intel one). Win 11 and latest drivers installed. To debug, he tried Ubuntu and with Nvidia it doesnā€™t even start the game. This with different versions of Proton. Intel ok.

TLDR: Reinstall gpu driver. Did it for me.

I also had crashes and log enries like you all described. It spontaniously exited to desktop, sometimes in main menu or options menu after few seconds, sometimes ingame after 5 min or so. very frustrating ngl.

iĀ“d like to share my story regarding this crash. I tried what most guides suggest.

1. Reinstall game. It was installed D drive. I deinstalled it there in reinstalled it on C for no particular reason
  2. updated c++ redistributables. Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads | Microsoft Learn
  3. updated everything via microsoft store
  4. installed Latest graphics driver via GeForce Experience
  5. Latest Windows updates
  6. disable discord and steam overlay, geforce experience and any other overlay you might have
  7. Restart pc
  8. Signing out from xbox network and login back to the xbox network in the main menu.
  9. LATEST SOLUTION: reinstall GPU driver like here How to Cleanly Install and Reinstall GPU Drivers on Windows

finished a tamberlane mission and two ranked games since. I am happy because it does not crash anymore. Game runs smoothly. iĀ“d give an update if it changes.

Now it has been 21 daysā€¦

Finally able to upload files. Hereā€™s a few of my latest .mdmp files in case any devs are here.

AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.02.19-20.37.48.mdmp (475.0 KB)
AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.02.19-20.03.26.mdmp (496.1 KB)
AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.02.19-14.54.37.mdmp (487.0 KB)
AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.02.18-22.09.59.mdmp (459.7 KB)

2 Likes

I have one too
AoE2DESteam-75350-2023.02.21-13.58.37.mdmp (161.1 KB)

1 Like

check my solution here:

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/games-keep-crashing/225327

Thanks for the suggestion @OhioHerzog80313 unfortunately it did not fix it for me :confused: Hopefully it helped some people.

Small update released yesterday. Was hopeful it would solve the crashing but still no luck. Only difference for me is it only creates MDMP files for about 25% of the crashes now instead of 100%ā€¦ Seems counter intuitive.

I am also crashing but not only in games. I am crashing on game launch, on match start in multiplayer, after match start in single player and when creating a lobby for multiplayer. Here is my log, all the other logs are the exact same.
Specs -
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: EVGA 3090TI
32GB of RAM
Windows 10

It wont let me attach my log due to being a new user so I will post the error lines that post.
[rlink - error] 2023/02/25 22:44:01.455 (UTC) presence data missing
[rlink - error] 2023/02/25 22:44:02.175 (UTC) XboxPlatform::SetPresence not successful: XboxLiveContext is null
[Network] 2023/02/25 22:45:46.456 (UTC) Setting mCancelCountdown. bIsReady = false, mbAllPlayersReady = false.
[rlink - error] 2023/02/25 22:45:47.867 (UTC) Rejecting packet type 0 that claims to come from ourself
[rlink - error] 2023/02/25 22:45:49.114 (UTC) Rejecting packet type 0 that claims to come from ourself
Exception type 0x80000003 occurred at 00007ff9dec2af4e

1 Like

similar and significant issues since yesterday evening, and interestingly iā€™m on xbox. game is freezing 0-2seconds into multiplayer games. already tried a clean install, have replicated issue in 4 straight multiplayer games - appears there is a sizable cross-platform bug.