Game Suggestions

I’d like to be the first to open this forum up to a game suggestions thread so the developers can get some input into what some of us expect when making the definitive edition, especially when features can be carried over from the original game or improvements made, however redundant they may be.

As a start, I’d like to suggest carrying single player cheats over from the first game. King Arthur (turning birds in dragons) and jack be nimble (villagers/cows throw by catapult) were some of my favourite cheats, and really brought some humor to the game that I enjoyed.

photon man
Ctrl+C
enter
Ctrl+V
enter
Ctrl+V
enter
Ctrl+V
enter
Ctrl+V
enter
Ctrl+V
enter
Ctrl+V
enter
Ctrl+V
enter
Ctrl+V
enter

Improve pathfinding and unit formations!

Things that they announced are coming in the stream (start at 2:37:44):

• Better pathfinding
  • Idle villager button
  • Attack move
  • Control groups
  • Symphony orchestra soundtrack
  • Better multiplayer features

Things I’d like to see:

• Farms more like Age 2
  • Unit and upgrade queuing like AoM and Age 3
  • Gates like AoM and Age 3 (maybe? I’m not completely sure if this sort of gameplay change would be a good idea)
  • A built-in modding community functionality, like Age 2 HD and AoM:EE

Has anyone heard how they plan to develop the economy side of the game whether it will be similar to the original or take bits and pieces from AOE2 and AOE3?
Personally I don’t mind the system in AOE2 but the gold imbalance can get tedious at times especially if you play without an ally.

The ability of making gates and garrisoning villagers would be a great improvement. However the AI must be programmed to use these new features somewhat correctly nonetheless (maybe from AOE II?). Also “instant” buildings must be nerfed; they really just are a cheap tactic to stop enemy troops

Be careful with better pathfinding, every remake they have released had worse pathfinding than the original.

PLEASE allow us to install the game in to any directory. Other windows store games I’ve bought had to be installed to the root directory of whatever drive I chose.

@kigbariom said:
PLEASE allow us to install the game in to any directory. Other windows store games I’ve bought had to be installed to the root directory of whatever drive I chose.

Seems more like a windows store issue.

Yes having the option to have a “queue” for farms in the granary would be nice.

I would like a market system that isn’t degrading.
So like having prices such as 100 gold for 200 good etc.
Also, some mod where resources would “replenish” after certain period of time (or not die at all) would be nice.
I think they should give us better tools to play with in map editor that would be awesome, plus it would help contiue the longetivity of the game, just saying…

Now that we have the control group (finally :wink: ) i’d like to be able to extend the pop limit to at least 200.

After watching the trailer, I can honestly say that I like everything except for the way the ballista launches its projectile. I’d like to see that changed.

So much hype! :smiley:

Does anyone else want them to go all out and make massive readjustments to make the game more beginner friendly? I’m talking like massive changes that change how the game is played. I’m talking about making it a brand new game, that is set in the same time period, uses the same units, but plays differently.

They could keep a compatibility mode for those who want a nostalgia trip.

Some of the sort of changes I’d like to see:

• Infinite farms that gather at a slower rate than hunts.
  • A raidable market line for gold like Age of Empires Online had.
  • Massive changes to the way the game is balanced (I’ve been told that meta is basically use chariot archers). I think the devs have already committed to this one.
  • Just overall reducing the burden of some of the tedious, non-fun tasks that one often has to do. (like telling villagers to gather the berries near a granary they just built).
  • Put a lot of data in the UI (things like villager count on each resource, population/housing ratio, etc.)

Basically I’d like to see them modernize the game and lower the barrier of entry for noobs like me. I don’t think they’ll actually go as extreme as some of the stuff I’m proposing, but I’m just putting it out there.

I pretty much copy pasted these from another thread but, here are some balance suggestions:

• Persian (and possibly Macedonian, if it contains the expansion as well) doesn’t get wheel. This severely cripples this already weak civ (except for good elephants Persian has pretty much nothing). Faster villagers make a huge difference when running away from your opponent.
  • Greek: All storage pit upgrades should be available in order to take full advantage of faster Centurions. Greek is very weak in the bronze age so either: give them compsitve bowman. Or as an alternative (as giving them compositve bowmen would just make them a weaker copy of minoan) give them another acadamy bonus such as cheaper hoplites.
  • Hittite: Catapults with double HP is quite insane not to mention it is already a very good civ to begin with regarding their tech tree.

Regarding units:

• Iron age camel rider upgrade such that it can be used to counter horse archers
  • Bronze age slinger upgrade to counter chariot archers, upgrades range by +2 and more HP or something.
  • CATAPHRACT: these are without a doubt the most useless enemies in the game. They are so useless in fact that I have never seen anyone using it in a serious multiplayer game. They are expensive to upgrade, build and die way too quickly. Make them:
    • Faster: As a siege counter, better villager killer.
    • More piercing armor: As a horse archer killer
    • More HP/attack strength: General strength

In general it would also be good to have piercing armor upgrades for cavalry units. Another suggestion is to have an upgrade that makes cavalry units cheaper.

The UPatch also has a ton of balance improvements that also should be looked at: http://upatch-hd.weebly.com/features.html

Please improve selections! For example if I double-click to a priest select each priest on map or select each priest on screen.

there won’t be big gameplay changes as they want keep original AOE feel but improvements for game
devs do have Upatch as starting point for balance.
Also there won’t be triggers for scenarios but old scenarios are compatible

PS: haven’t seen devs chatting on this forum so idk do they read suggestions…

the workers should be able to gatther resources without having to build special buildings to bring it to

@matthewKER said:
Please improve selections! For example if I double-click to a priest select each priest on map or select each priest on screen.

Actually, you could already do that in the original. Or at least in the Rise of Rome expansion.