Gates in the walls, automated farms, night skirmish like AoM, new game mode with generals or heroes?

I suppose we all know that in ancient empires they had doors. When they designed the game, the fact that the door opened with the soldiers had to be difficult to program, but nowadays I think it would be a fundamental addition.
I always preferred the original age for the subject, since I am Egyptologist, but it is true that the gameplay of 2 made the original fall into oblivion. The mechanics that are announced in the trailer hope to include certain improvements like automated farms.
Another interesting addition could be the inclusion of games where there are day / night cycles with bonuses for certain units.
Another suggestion could be the inclusion of regicide-style games imported from AoEII where the emperor or king can have a bonification function in the troops and certain abilities.
I can think of many improvements or additions that can give different styles of games and that will definitely give more replayability and interest in different publics of RTS.
Leave your opinions! Thx

We know gates aren’t happening, that’s been confirmed. The farms would be nice, I think, and so would the Night Skirmish! I’m not sure how the new gamemode would factor in, but a “kill the emperor” gamemode a la regicide could definitely be very interesting.

I think that it’s very interesting the addition of day and night cicles to setup in the match.
Probably another suggestion to add it’s a base map campaign with turn base system like shogun total war or rise of nations. This system it’s very interesting because later you can resolve the battles in real time with a skirmish normal game of AoE. This campaign can be multiplayer and coop.

Yes! the addition of the campaign of Rome Total War with a EuroAsian painted map would be a great addition to be played in multiplayer and solo, but it’s very difficult to program to be played for more than 2 players. It’s a shame.

I do not like the idea of automated farms. If you do that, I think you should also add fishing-traps in that extent. Or else other food sources (like fish) will be less profitable.

I am more in favor of the ‘right-click rebuild’ on a dead farm. That would be a split-second easier than shortkey: B+F all the time :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t like the idea of a day and night cycle. That wouldn’t add anything meaningful to the game and it’s just harder to see what’s going on on the screen when it’s dark.

@qweytr24 said:
I don’t like the idea of a day and night cycle. That wouldn’t add anything meaningful to the game and it’s just harder to see what’s going on on the screen when it’s dark.

thats the whole point of night time, i loved night time back at AoM Cuss i could sneak my way into a opponents base if he was not paying attention to the map.

@FreshKiller233 said:

@qweytr24 said:

thats the whole point of night time, i loved night time back at AoM Cuss i could sneak my way into a opponents base if he was not paying attention to the map.

But any good players would just turn up the brightness completely removing the problem, but making the game look less good in the process. Also, fighting during the night would be unhistorical and unrealistic.

I don’t see the use of adding features that significantly change the gameplay/atmosphere, that’s what mods are for. Some QoL improvements like one click on farms to reseed them would be nice.

That said, garrisoned towers, gates, commodity sales at markets, and other such features from AoE2 would be cool to have as well. AoE1 is stronger for its theme rather than its gameplay IMO. Still, such features should be optional for those who want the original experience.

@qweytr24 said:

@FreshKiller233 said:

@qweytr24 said:

But any good players would just turn up the brightness completely removing the problem, but making the game look less good in the process. Also, fighting during the night would be unhistorical and unrealistic.

I don’t really see how that is a possibility, as the night time on AoM was unchangeable no matter the brightness change u did.

Please dont change anyting to the gameplay.
no automated farm. no door.
the charm of age of empire is precisely that its not a modern ge with everything in lazy/automaric mode.

please dont change the team generation either. it was so much fun to not know where your alloes are at the beggining of the game and to realize that in fact you are beetween two ennemy

the game were really improvisation

all i care about is that they raise the max pop

I think that the doors are necessary because it’s very strange the fact that you cannot close your wall with a simple door. Probably the automated farm are a lazy complement, i’m agree.

@qweytr24 said:

This is not true because there’s a lot of references in the egiptian and greek sources of night attacks. It’s very usual in history of war.

@Tgaud said:
Please dont change anyting to the gameplay.
no automated farm. no door.
the charm of age of empire is precisely that its not a modern ge with everything in lazy/automaric mode.

please dont change the team generation either. it was so much fun to not know where your alloes are at the beggining of the game and to realize that in fact you are beetween two ennemy

the game were really improvisation

And no change the music or the graphic becouse altering the charm ^^.

If this game is just “aoe 1 2017 graphic”, is dead for me ^^.

No gates? That seems a bit silly. They could balance it in the game as needed. Automatic farms would also be a much needed quality-of-life upgrade for AOE I.

I think developers need to realize that some tasks in the game were not fun. Reseeding farms manually was one of them.

The biggest mistake of Age of empire franchise has been to upgrade confort, make some “one button do it all” action.
And in age of empires 3, it was the end with the “automatic villager builder”.

What is good is the difficulty.
Having 160 villager to handle, having to think about the farm to rebuild.
Having to think every 18seconds in game, that you have to be ready to click for another villager, in every successive town center.

This difficult task is precisely what make the game multitask and fun to play.
What make people able to raise over the others or not.

if you automatise everything its just a boring game.
Fun doesn’t come from comfort, but from some difficulty and frustration.
its not intuitive i know but…
If everyone can do it, without training where is the fun ?

You have to make sure that you have something to do every seconds.

Wut?

@Tgaud Could you clarify what you mean by “automatic villager builder” please?

@Amphiprion6 said:

Wut?

There was a button what requed the unit sequence waiting to be trained.
Imagine you was training one Toxote and one Peltast. If you press that button then the archery range starts to train them again when the previous two was trained.